Polished Bliss: A Week On A Prancing Horse!

Clark@Polishedbliss

Professional Detailer
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
Well this was my most enjoyable detail yet in the whole time I’ve been a professional detailer. The owner has recently signed up for a maintenance contract with us and Rich had originally booked the car in for 3 days to allow for all the little details to be done to the standard we would like, but due to a couple of people re-arranging dates for their details I ended up getting the car for the whole week to play with!

Some of you may be thinking that a week on one car is a bit excessive and surely not needed but as you will see in the write up below, this isn’t necessarily the case when we’re talking about the world of detailing! The owners last Ferrari had been detailed by a different company previously who didnt do a particularly good job so this made me even more determined to get his new pride and joy as spot on as possible... :thumb:

So, on with the detail:

Monday

The car arrived at 9am sharp, not looking too bad – it shouldn’t really as there’s only just under 800 miles on the clock so it was pretty clean to be fair:

Cf1c.jpg

Firstly, the car was pre-rinsed at high pressure @40 degrees:

Cf1e.jpg

Meguiars Super Degreaser was used to clean the arches and tyres, with Menzerna 7.5 being the choice for the wheels and calipers:

Cf1.jpg

Cf1a.jpg

Cf1b.jpg

The car was then washed with the 2 bucket method and Meguiars Shampoo Plus, then clayed with Meguiars Mild Detailing Clay. No need for Tardis on this detail as there was very little in the way of tar stuck to the car at all. I then gave the engine a quick going over with a MF mitt as I didn’t want to risk pressure washing this one (being rather expensive and Italian! :p ).

The car was then rinsed off:

Cf1i.jpg

I then dried it off with a waffle weave and the leaf blower.

Next stage was to get the car inside and all taped up ready for polishing, then I took PTG readings:

Cf1g.jpg

The car was incredibly consistent throughout, reading from 180-210 microns so a nice healthy amount of paint all round.

Defects weren’t too bad, swirls were at a minimum really:

Cf1k.jpg

Whilst the swirls were minimal, there were quite a lot of RIDS and random “nicks” in the paint, more than likely installed from the dealership as there was product residue on the trims and the car just had that “washed with a sponge” look about it.

I initially started out with Menzerna 3.02 on a Meguiars Polishing Pad but the Menz was playing up a wee bit so I swapped to Meguiars 83:

Cf1d.jpg

This broke down perfectly…

Cf1h.jpg

Leaving a perfect finish…

Cf1j.jpg

Cf1f.jpg

I completed the de-swirling of all the larger areas of bodywork with the rotary, leaving the smaller/tighter areas for the Megs machine the following day.

7pm and end of day 1

Tuesday

The start of day 2 began at 1 o clock (I was in court in the morning) and saw the new Meguiars Machine being brought out for its first outing to de-swirl the smaller areas. I used a 4” cutting pad with Menz 3.02:

Cf1k-1.jpg

Cf1r.jpg

First impressions of the machine were very good – It feels a lot more refined than the PC and definitely produces a good bit more power but with less vibrations. I don’t like using the PC as I get numb hands after ten or 15 minutes but I operated the Megs machine for a good few hours with no problems at all.

Downsides in my eyes are the large guard round the counter weight, which can make centering a spot pad when using a 3.5” backing plate rather difficult. I found it quicker to remove the backing plate, center the pad and then screw it back in. The other downside is again with the guard, due to its size I would have preferred it to have a rubber coating or something similar instead of metal, as the chances of possible damage to the paint when coming in contact with the guard are quite high due to its size (chances are increased further when working on a car such as the Ferrari with its different curves and angles). This is why you can see I have wrapped our one in masking tape in the pics above.

Other than that, I was quite impressed with the machine and I like the design of the wrap around handle.

Below are a few pics of the correction work as I progressed around the car, using the machine at speed 5:

Cf1l.jpg

Cf1n.jpg

before:

Cf1g-1.jpg

after (excuse the smears):

Cf1j-1.jpg

before:

Cf1w.jpg

after:

Cf1o.jpg

couldn’t miss out the number plate either!

Cf1h-1.jpg

Top of the front bumper before:

Cf1i-1.jpg

after:

Cf1v.jpg

before:

Cf1p.jpg

after:

Cf1l-1.jpg

Lower half next to air intake before:

Cf1y.jpg

after:

Cf1t.jpg

There were sections that were also suffering from buffer trails:

Cf1m.jpg

Cf1q.jpg

after:

Cf1yy.jpg

Rear lights were also polished:

Cf1s.jpg

As was the rear Carbon Fibre section as this was showing bad cases of micro-marring:

Cf1z.jpg

after:

Cf1zz.jpg

Cf1x.jpg

Last job for the Megs machine was to polish the headlights, which didn’t really need it but i did it anyways!

Cf1d-2.jpg

That was the correction work nearly completed. As I had been working my way round the car I marked any RIDS that were slightly too deep to remove with polishing alone. They were mostly along the tops of the wings and back quarters for some reason:

Cf1d-1.jpg

These RIDS were sanded back with 3000 Unigrit that had been soaking for 24 hours as I was pretty sure I was going to need it at some point when I first saw the car on Monday:

Cf1e-1.jpg

Cf1a-1.jpg

This made a 99% improvement on all the scratches and even I had to look really hard to see the remaining 1 or 2 that were still there.

After polishing with Megs 83 and the rotary:

Cf1f-1.jpg

Cf1b-1.jpg

Cf1c-1.jpg

This was all the paintwork fully corrected so I called it a night.
9pm and end of day 2

Wednesday:

Start of day 3 began with Menzerna PO85rd finishing polish and a 3M finishing pad:

Cf1g-2.jpg

Usually I would use 3M’s Ultrafina but we have loads of the Menz to use up so I fancied a change.

This was worked at 1500rpm’s:

Cf1b-2.jpg

I always use the halogens to keep the panels warm when working with the Menzerna:

Cf1-1.jpg

Once the rotary work was completed I went round the smaller areas again with the Megs machine and a 4” polishing pad and 85rd. This was worked at speed 5.

Cf1f-2.jpg

Once all final polishing had been completed I removed the masking tape from around the window rubbers etc before buffing off the polish.
My reason for this is so that I can first remove any product residue left from the edge of the tape with a separate MF:

Cf1e-2.jpg

This prevents you from catching any traces of residue or excess polish in your mf which can then marr the paint and prevent you from creating a perfect finish. I always use a separate mf to run around all panel gaps before buffing off on the larger panels too.

Next job was to give the car a dust down:

Cf1c-2.jpg

I then applied the cars first coat of Vintage and left to cure while I dressed the tyres with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel and sealed the wheels/calipers with PB Wheel Sealant. Arches weren’t dressed as these were perfectly clean and as the car was brand new in September they were still nice and black:

Cf1a-2.jpg

I then buffed off the wax and called it a day.

7pm and end of Day 3

Thursday

Thursday morning began with a quick dust down of the car again before I applied the cars 2nd coat of Vintage, with the 1st coat having cured over night. This was buffed off after i'd had a short coffee break :)

I then polished the tailpipes, these are a funny material and were quite tarnished/stained but Meguiars NXT and Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish got them back to new again:

before:

Cf1f-3.jpg

after:

Cf1-2.jpg

The engine was next:

The silencer needed a bit of a spruce up already:

Cf1w-1.jpg

Meguiars NXT Metal Polish on a 4” polishing pad & German Applicator gave the following result:

Cf1x-1.jpg

before:

Cf1a-3.jpg

after:

Cf1p-1.jpg

I would have liked to have removed the swirls fully but I needed to make sure I got everything else on the car finished first.

303 Aerospace was used to dress the engine bay:

Cf1i-2.jpg

Cf1s-1.jpg

Cf1t-1.jpg

Cf1u-1.jpg

HD Cleanse was used for the glass:

Cf1n-1.jpg

Onto the Interior next, this was hovered before I used Zymöl Leather Cleaner on all leather and vinyl:

Cf1k-2.jpg

The Glass was cleaned inside with HD Cleanse and the outside with Werkstatt Prime Strong.

I then used a mf with a couple mists of Field Glaze to remove any finger prints etc from the carbon trim:

Cf1o-1.jpg

Cf1r-1.jpg

I then used the Halogens to heat up the seats prior to feeding them:

Cf1j-2.jpg

These were left for about 15 mins while I cleaned all the product reside from the trims that the Dealers had kindly given me for free,using Apc and then applying Zymöl Carbon to all exterior trim:

before:

Cf1g-3.jpg

after:

Cf1b-3.jpg

Cf1q-1.jpg

The seats had now warmed up nicely so I fed them with Treat:

Cf1l-2.jpg

And then conditioned the rubbers with “Seal”:

Cf1h-2.jpg

Werkstatt Prime Strong was again used for the sills:

Cf1v-1.jpg

Shuts were waxed too:

Cf1m-1.jpg

Interior Pics:

Cf1d-3.jpg

Cf1c-3.jpg

Cf1e-3.jpg

Cf1zz-1.jpg

Cf1z-1.jpg

Cf1yy-1.jpg

Cf1y-1.jpg

I then applied a 3rd coat of Vintage and left it on the car overnight.

7pm and end of Day 4

Friday:

Final day of the detail was a nice easy one to finish off as the car was 99% finished. All that was required was to buff off the 3rd coat of Vintage that had been left on overnight and then give it a wipe down with Field Glaze as there were quite a lot of oils rising from the paint by this point.
The rest of the morning/afternoon was spent taking loads of pics (I took over 350 during the week!!!) to try and capture the finish as best as I could as the car was now looking stunning. There was a noticeable difference as each layer of Vintage went on and cured, the paint was incredibly wet and glossy and gave off a vibrancy that we’ve only seen from this wax so far.

I put the car outside so we could mop the floor and generally tidy up the studio again and luckily the sun started to come out, so I got some nice outdoor shots:

Cf1zz-2.jpg

Cf1l-3.jpg

Cf1k-3.jpg

Cf1j-3.jpg

Cf1i-3.jpg

Cf1h-3.jpg

Cf1g-4.jpg

Cf1f-4.jpg

Cf1e-4.jpg

Cf1d-4.jpg

Cf1u-2.jpg

Cf1c-4.jpg

Cf1a-4.jpg

Cf1b-4.jpg

Cf1-3.jpg

I then put the car back inside to what was now a nice and tidy studio again, complete with a new 430 Scuderia Picture sent to us by Chris_A3 – many thanks mate, it looks great!

Cf1y-2.jpg

Cf1v-2.jpg

Cf1s-2.jpg

Cf1r-2.jpg

Cf1q-2.jpg

Cf1o-2.jpg

Cf1p-2.jpg

Cf1n-2.jpg

Cf1m-2.jpg

Cf1x-2.jpg

Cf1z-2.jpg

Cf1w-2.jpg

Cf1t-2.jpg

So there you have it, the best part of 5 days and over 30 hours work, and to be honest I could easily have spent longer on the car if I could have. I also think this goes a long way in showing just what a high end wax can give in terms of the ultimate finish over those "lesser" waxes. Yes its mostly down to the prep but a decent wax will add that bit extra in my eyes.

Hopefully you enjoyed the write up and stupid amount of pics, its taken me well over 4 ½ hours to sort them all out and type this up so many thanks for looking as always!

:):thumb:

A really good read Clark, thanks. A beauty of a car and I can see why you really enjoyed that one. I bet having it in for the week is really what made it feel good!

The owner must be very happy indeed.

Love the elevated photo from behind, you must have climbed the walls to get that one:) .

Nice to see the final finish looking superb.

Cheers.:icon_thumright:

Absolutely stunning work as usual ! Bet the owner is very pleased with the results

richard

absolutely stunning work yet again from you boys , you should take it up as a living ! ;)

Nice one Clark. I'll bet that kept you off detailing world for a few more hours than usual ;)

(and cheers again for the RS4 today. looks utterly mint as usual)

Totally stunning Clark - probably one of your best write-ups yet! That 430 is now better than when it left the factory.

The seats had now warmed up nicely so I fed them with Treat:

Cf1l-2.jpg

fanstics job, car looked great before but what a change.

obviously using top end products, how do you rate Zymol / Swissvax Leather products. I currently use Swissvax milk but interested to see if switching to the treat would give better protection.

Seats - I have the Recaro leather silk nappa, very light colour