Police Car modifications?

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Do Police add performance modifications to their patrol or pursuit cars?

If they do is it standard factory modifications done by the factory or some 3rd party garage like Badger5 or R-tech?

Last edited:
Not sure about patrol, but Pursuit probably would have something. On police interceptors they have a scooby and an evo 8!! Wouldnt think they're standard.

Or go to Dubai and see there Aston Martin one-77 aventador and Ferrari rozzer cars.

I can give you a diffinitive answer. the subarus used have been to Prodrive in Banbury, where a skid is fitted to protect the sump etc. That is the only mod made to them. The other traffic cars actually have stuff removed, such as: the rear vents are disconnected. The cars have a more robust alternator, but no performance mods, and really suffer once the blue lights are bolted to the roof. In TVP and Beds, some of the cars struggle to reach 130mph, because of the added wind resistance. Various people have in the past spoken with the transport manager in an attempt to get something with more top end, but this has always fallen on deaf ears. Since the police underwrite their own insurance it would not be a problem, but the cars are bought at a heavily discounted rate, hence having bits removed.

Reactions: S3 MCW and CHEZ
Do Police add performance modifications to their patrol or pursuit cars?

If they do is it standard factory modifications done by the factory or some 3rd party garage like Badger5 or R-tech?

They never have.Only mods might be uprated springs to carry stuff in the boot.Never had the budget for it, certainly not now.The cheapest possible cars are bought.Many years ago my old force used to buy metros that were factory rejects (and thats saying something) that had just the one drivers sunvisor and rubber for carpet.The cotina ghias for traffic use had the sunroof welded and the electric windows removed.Also had marina/ital 1800tc' to try and catch audi quattros lol.Those were the days.Maybe the royal protection cars are modded to compensate for armour etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ
am i correct in thinking they are serviced very regularly though? like more often than a private car would be?

I know when they used Vectra B V6's it was a popular mod to use police spec brake pads - apparently forum users just used to quote the part number at the dealers.

am i correct in thinking they are serviced very regularly though? like more often than a private car would be?

yup very regular.They are used 24h and as they are normally underpowered are hammered

The volvo t5's had 300bhp againest a standerd volvo 250bhp. They also had torlanda rear springs on the v70's to take the weight of the traffic cones etc

Well the force up in the highlands have all the good cars several BMWs x5 330d and a 5 series.
Seen a couple of Audi a6 as well

essex run x5's and 5 series tourings ,
back in my day as a lad doing laps of colchester town centre they were in senators all running out of their own garage in stanway where they DID their own modifications , brakes , suspension and steel wheels (less likley to be damaged lumping up kerbs )

seen a 5 series touring squad car down the local tyre place the other month, on jacks getting tyres fitted!
i nearly went over for a pic, but bottled it lol!

They never have.

This is incorrect in a small part..

Volvo have their own manafactured engine chip built for Police vehicles that they have leased out as traffic/ARV vehicles. That being said, there are quite a few issues with engine management with running the chips upto yet. Normal patrol have nothing at all as it is not necessary. As with above post our fore will soon be joining essex stylee with the above vehicles. And yeah they get serviced far more regularly than general motors.

I know the guys in our local ARV running an A6 Avant, other than a small safe fitted and bullet resistant glass its pretty much standard.
Oh, it has a small paint protection patch on the roof above the passenger side, but don't think it counts as a body mod or affects wind resistance.

I remember the days of Cheshire being proud of their 3.0litre Senators. One pursuit guy at the golf club was well pleased with his until he drove the golf pro's turbo technics modified 3.0GSI Carlton - he was well pee'd off when he saw the Carlton (driven by his colleague) disappear in front of him above 145mph. The Carlton hit 175mph on the speedo that day, and was still accelerating slowly !

In hindsight not the safest test drive ever, but it was fun to watch :D

The protection group cars in TVP ,Beds and surrounding counties don't have armour, or special glass, they're completely standard, with the exception of the safe for the guns- as is the suspension on traffic cars. They're serviced at the same frequency as other peoples' cars,- on mileage covered. They are serviced in house by the force garage technicians, and the garage at Bicester is right next door to the traffic base, so we had a great relationship with the technicians, and got to see everything that was done to the cars. It's the same with the Met BMWs, completely standard. and the last time I drove a Volvo, it was the V70R, which I was told was also bog standard.

Last edited:
I knows it's not the UK police, but I've seen an police S3 in South Africa at a Revo dealership.

I was talking to the workshop guys and they have said that they don't need to modify the suspension, because the weight of the cones, sequential lights, stinger and bits don't exceed the maximum gross mass of the vehicle.