Plumbing advice please

TDI

Reaction score
to cut a long story short my radiators came on when the hot water should of come on. i think the problem is the diverter valve as it seems to be stuck in one position . I tried to push it the other way but it seems to be stuck. do i have to buy the complete unit or can i replace the mechansim on top of the valve itself? if i have to replace the whole unit do i drain the whole system rads and storage cylinder?

Cheers in advance

:-0

Dan will be along shortly.... He's bound to have the answer.... As for my advice, Post a 'Help' on AS.net as you have done...... :)

This is true.....Seriously..... I have a plumber as a mate, and whilst putting some water pipes in, he said to his helper, "Here Mick (clues are there), sort these couple of pipes out...." and gave hime the flux (is it ? or something they use)
When He turned the water on - it ****** everywhere..... "What the **** did you do wi' them pipes Mick"
His response a classic.... "I glued them together with that stuff, loike you asked me to Pete"

Do you live in a hard water area? My folks had this problem for 4 years in a row. Every summer time, the valve controlling the flow would stick, caused by lime build up, the repair man would come out and fit a new one, then it would work for the summer and fail again next winter. This year, the new one failed within a week. The resolution - a complete flush of the system which took 8 hours and stank like nothing on earth. Of course, it will only really show if it is truly fixed when next summer comes.

outlore,

Yes we live in a hard water area, i hope i don't have to replace every year :-(

hop2407, classic :-0

Try somethhing like fernox make sure you get the right type as they do different strenghs for older systems, Regarding the valve you can just buy the top

TDI, this does sound like your divertor valve letting by.

Best practice would be to replace the whole unit, brass valve and motorised valve.

You would only need to drain the central heating system, not the domestic hot water cylinder. You will need to tie the ball valve up on the small tank in the loft. It may have an insolation valve going to the ball valve also.

What make and model is the divertor valve. (also known as 3-way valve and mid-postion valve.

I take it the valve isn't located in a combi boiler but an airing cuboard of some sort.

You wouldn't to change this item very often.

TDI-line,

sorry for the late reply, i replaced with a honeywell 3 port mid position valve in the airing cupboard. bled the radiators as i replaced one while the system was empty due to a cold spot on the rad. the boiler came on for a few seconds and then went out and won't start on the central heating not tried the hot water switch yet. do you think it might be air in the system?

Cheers

Filling central heating correctly.:cold:

You need to turn the power of too the central heating, fused spur in A/Cuboard or next to boiler or programmer.

Open the manual flushing switch on your new honeywell valve, it will lock into place.

Let the ball valve go in the loft.

Bleed all radiators until water comes out.

Unlock new motorized valve.

Run system on hot water mode, this gives the shortest possible path for the boiler to heat up, and will naturally push any air into the little tank in the loft.

Has the boiler tripped out? What make and model is the boiler?

Air could over heat a modern boiler (upto 20 years old!), so you may have to reset it.

Is your pump running? Is it red hot and the pipes around it cold?:sos:

TDI line i have just changed the top on the divertor valve loads of time

are we there yet said:
TDI line i have just changed the top on the divertor valve loads of time

But that would only help if the motorized valve motor was faulty, and wasn't opening the valve, as most valves are spring return shut.

But if the valve is letting by, the small ball valve is worn and the whole valve will need replacing or you can buy replacement balls for the skin-flints lol.

tdi-line, it was air in the system so i bleed the pump and the boiler seemed to kick off again and hasn't cut out again so i hope there isn't much air left in the system, fingers crossed as i type

Cheers for the input mate! :)