Plug-and-play solution for DRLs (382/P21W) on A6 4F?

fishyfish

Reaction score
Hi Trups,

I have bugged you before via PM about this, but I can't seem to get rid of a slight flicker with the LED day running lights I currently have on my 2007 A6 Avant (xenons with P21W DRLs).

I get no errors, but I get a "pulsing" flicker every few seconds, and its just noticeable enough to drive me insane (and I fret about it come MOT time).

I did grab a "canbus error canceller" from ebay, but couldn't get the barsteward to fit (not helped by the ridiculously tight access to the headlights), and I'd really like to avoid chopping into the wiring. Have you found or fabricated anything in terms of a plug-and-play bulb and/or loom that will cooperate with our cars?

Cheers,
Adam

Adam,

Please send me a link of the cancellers you have and il tell you what to do to get them fitted in there.

I want you to try them to see if that gets rid of the flicker.

Thanks
Trups

These are the ones I got: 2 x LED WARNING CANCELLER P21W BA15s 1156 LOAD RESISTOR NO CANBUS OBC ERROR | eBay

There just didn't seem to be a way to make that socket/holder match up to where the existing bulb holder goes.

What I did notice is that the wires can be unplugged from the stock bulb holder via a two pin molex-ish plug arrangement, so I could conceivably insert something in the circuit if I could find the male and female bits to replace the bulb base and socket on the canceller...

Cheers very much for any help you can offer ;)

Reactions: t8ups
These will fit, 2 lugs need to be shaved off, i have these in stock, what i will do is take pictures later of the lugs you need to shave and they will fit in nice and tight.

Trups

Reactions: Ss003c
Thanks a million for this, man... you are a life-saver!

I have just managed to fit these thanks to your tip, and the flicker has been cured. Halle-******-lujah! :)

PS: I presume, because the DRLs are not being run at full power, that the resistor box will not get hot enough to worry about, so it should be fine just stuffed inside the headlight with the rest of the wiring, right?

Reactions: t8ups
Ahhhh Great :)

No they will be fine, i have sold to 2 members on here for their B7 and they have been going 3 months with no issues of them resting inside.

Glad they all work.

if anyone wants these ready to fit them let me know and i can supply with a Cree bulb :)

Trups

Hi Trups I am after changing my DRL to led on an S3 2007 can you supply the bulbs and resistors I would need.Many Thanks JakeS3

hi Jake.

I can supply the bulb but this resistor will not work on the 8p S3.

if you have access to VCDS then you can re code the Car to accept the LEd so it works error free.

Trups

Hello, i have the same resistors as in the photo, also purchased from ebay. I have 25w cree led p21 bulbs but was getting bulb error warnings. Plugged the resistors in today to see if they worked and it stopped the bulb warning on my Audi a3 2006 with bi xenons. Was trying to figure out how to fit them as the socket was different but I see from your photo to shave off the 2 lugs and they will fit. Thank you for posting that, very helpful. I see u said to use vcds to recode to save using resistors. How do I re code. My friend has a garage and has a new snap on car computer is this able to recode or do I need some special vcds?

Hi.

you do need VCDS to re code the car, other tools wont work im afraid. when I have tried these on the A3 in the past they have bought up the error still so only coding on the A3 as the BCM modules are completely different to that of a b7 or c6.

Ok, I purchased those and they arrived today. What about the heat? All best practices say resistors should be OUTSIDE the headlight? How did you do it?

IMG_1745.jpg

By the way, they've fixed them so you don't have to shave anything off now :)

IMG_1746.jpg

Last edited:
Hi.

As they where not bought from me I don't know the specs of them and I don't know how hot they will get.

when I 1st did these a few years back I had them in a test car and had them running checking temps etc before I sell them, that lasted a few months, mine will go into the headlight and will sit in there, I have sold around 100 sets over the last few years, main customers are B7 owners.

as I am unaware of the ones you have I will be unable to give info on where to mount it, I hope you can understand.

Thanks
Trups

Just to bump this thread, I got some cree led DRL bulbs off you last year for my 8p s3 and they're throwing up errors on the dash, I have plugged vcds in a few times and can't seem to turn it off, can you enlighten me how to code them in please.

Thanks

Just to bump this thread, I got some cree led DRL bulbs off you last year for my 8p s3 and they're throwing up errors on the dash, I have plugged vcds in a few times and can't seem to turn it off, can you enlighten me how to code them in please.

Thanks
Sorry about the detail,

so its an 8P your putting them in right? drop me a pm and I will send you the coding to get rid of the error.

Trups

Hi Trups,

I have bugged you before via PM about this, but I can't seem to get rid of a slight flicker with the LED day running lights I currently have on my 2007 A6 Avant (xenons with P21W DRLs).

I get no errors, but I get a "pulsing" flicker every few seconds, and its just noticeable enough to drive me insane (and I fret about it come MOT time).

I did grab a "canbus error canceller" from ebay, but couldn't get the barsteward to fit (not helped by the ridiculously tight access to the headlights), and I'd really like to avoid chopping into the wiring. Have you found or fabricated anything in terms of a plug-and-play bulb and/or loom that will cooperate with our cars?

Cheers,
Adam
Hi. Just been searching and saw this thread.
I have a 2006 2.7 A6 Avant with simulat issues. Flicker effect just drivers side tho?

I fitted load resistors a to both sides and still it will flick.

Did you have any success it finding a cure?

Thanks in advance

Steve

hi Jake.

I can supply the bulb but this resistor will not work on the 8p S3.

if you have access to VCDS then you can re code the Car to accept the LEd so it works error free.

Trups
Hi there woundering if you can help me please I've Installed drl's to fog light grill they work as they should bright when lights off and then dimm when headlights on and indicate when they should but once car turns off the drl stay slightly lit up constantly. Positive is + pole. Negative to - pole and yellow lead to brown fuse box passenger side as this should be acc as it turns my head rest monitors off using this fuse block. Would using resistors somewhere on the harness kit work and kill power totally when car not in use.

Hi there woundering if you can help me please I've Installed drl's to fog light grill they work as they should bright when lights off and then dimm when headlights on and indicate when they should but once car turns off the drl stay slightly lit up constantly. Positive is + pole. Negative to - pole and yellow lead to brown fuse box passenger side as this should be acc as it turns my head rest monitors off using this fuse block. Would using resistors somewhere on the harness kit work and kill power totally when car not in use.

have you asked the seller of that product what they would think a solution is for that as I don't sell items like that so would not want to mis advice you on how to solve and then if something went wrong I wouldn't want any one pointing fingers.

Thanks