*PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING A S3!!!"

dany2k

Reaction score
Hi all,
HAD to share this with you all, to maybe save you the heart/ball-ache!!! Living in Lancashire, looking at a used car down in London takes an awful lot of time, effort and £80-worth of fuel. Anyways, off we went down to see a S3 near Gravesend:

2003 AUDI S3 S3 Quattro 3dr [225] Hatchback

Prior to speaking to him and his wife, they both swore blind that: the car is in absolutely immaculate condition, that the tyres were absolutely road legal and I wouldn't find a better one.

On getting there we find that what a) they said and b) the advert stated is absolute BULLS**T. The front and rear near-side tyres were absolutely bald, as was the rear off-side tyre. There were scratches on the bumper, and front near-side arch. The cream leather interior was cracked and dirty. The buttons for the climate control etc were worn. The cream trim on the windows and door panels were dirty/a faded grey. To top it off, the oil filler cap was full of mayyonaise-like gunk: perhaps explained by the lady owner's short trips to the shops, but could well be a disaster in the making. To top this, the car hadn't had it's timing belt/water pump changed: this is something I thought I could overlook if the car was truly in great condition.

The point is, the car is not in 'brilliant' condition and the car is in no way fit to be advertised as such. Rant over everybody, and I've e-mailed the gent with a link to this forum post.

You've been warned!

Danny

p.s. I've taken a print-screen of the advert as it reads today, just in case an 'amendment' occurs. I would hate for any fellow forum members to be stung the same way as we were!

yes i know where you are coming from , although i didnt drive as far only kent to southampton , really winds me up ,
is it too much too ask for a honest response these days .
Perhaps ask a forum member who is close to location of car to have a sqint before you travel could be a idea in future .
Hope your luck turns better soon
john

That's expensive anyway to be honest, even given the mileage. I bought my 2003 ("03") S3 18 months ago with 65k on the clock and with 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres for £7500. All original paintwork, no accident damage and FASH. Only difference is mine has the 17" Avus alloys. Still, keep looking & I'm sure you'll find the right one. If you want me to look at any in/around the Nottingham area then just give me a shout and I'll help you out.

Unlucky mate, I can see why your so annoyed as for the price you'd expect it to be mint!

I did the same, dishonet careless owners pee me off. I travelled 200 miles for one, to be greated with a heap, the guy had the boot open on the drive, said because it was hot, closing it o found a huge dent. I was so so dissapointed because in writing and what he'd said on phone it was a great example, he'd had it from new and just did not care about it at all. Il never forget his quote me and my old man laugh about from time to time, 'just needs a can of paint'. Joke.

Anyone who puts as above when they own an S3 is almost cetainly telling a fib or the speedo is faulty!

unfortunately what one person might think is mint another thinks is minging. Just take Jordan as an example.. Personally I think she minging but blokes still want to marry her!

Anyway. It sucks and I feel sorry you travelled all that way to be faced with a not as described car. Good luck in finding one, there are plenty out there.

Happened to me a few times now gone as far as birmingham from bath to find the car wasnt the one advertised despite asking the seller if it was prior to driving up. As above i ask for high res pics, really winds me up what do they think as youve come all that way your going to buy it anyway?

****** hell, £8900!! I got a used and approved S3 from the Audi dealer with less mileage, used and approved years warranty for about that, has sat nav too! Overpriced! I went to Grimsby Audi for mine, I live in Cornwall :)

take Jordan as an example.. Personally I think she minging but blokes still want to marry her!

LOL She is famous for getting her tats out. Lets be honest, any woman can do what she does. Doesn take much talent, just a fake boob job. Im longing for the day she does the world a favour and kills herself..:eyebrows:

£8,900 for an 8L S3??

Well if everyone starts advertising them at that, then we may get some more for ours....

Thats way too much for that car mate, think its better you didnt get it as its way too overpriced.

Every cloud and all that...

Good luck with the search mate.

The right one will appear soon.

rememember anyone can ask for anything they want - whether they get it is a seperate matter.

Hate with a passion when buyers are not that little bit honest with you. He could have highlighted the low mileage and year and mentioned the imperfectiomns here and there then you would probably still go and see it and at least not be as shocked.

Last edited:
yarp yarp id like to add to this,, after searching for two Audi's over a 12 month period...AVOID KEIGHLEY - every car i have ever seen in that place has been an absolute shed, they must have some sort of trash auction local or sumat - will never travel there again even though it sounds daft to write off a place geographically

yarp yarp id like to add to this,, after searching for two Audi's over a 12 month period...AVOID KEIGHLEY - every car i have ever seen in that place has been an absolute shed, they must have some sort of trash auction local or sumat - will never travel there again even though it sounds daft to write off a place geographically

haha I've never ever heard anyone dismiss an entire place before. It seems so difficult to find genuine honest people nowadays.

if ive ever had to travel to look at a car i always find 3-4 others closeby or within 10-15 miles of that area so im not in the same position as you have experienced

i had the exact same thing looking for mine! so annoying, especially when one of them was in newcastle and i live in southampton lol maybe we should start a look out register to help people looking at cars in our area?

tom

We wont mention Brum then ;)

I try not to buy cars locally, as I dont want someone to say, "that was mine, i ragged that!!"

Bit like a bird realy....lol.

I try to buy a bit further out, but not too far, as cant be bothered to travel, to end up spending money on fuel, wasting time and it ending up being a cr4ppy car.

Had the same happen to me before now mate, my car was in a sorry state when I bought it. It broke three times on the way home - in fact I didn't even get it home.

****** Bumble. I should have know then!! lol :(

unfortunately if your chasing spec you cant sit and wait for a local car to turn up :(

hi all,
thanks for your comments, it was more for anybody else thinking of looking at the car more then anything!

Slightly off topic but has anyone noticed how all-over-the-place S3 prices are just now?
They don't even seem to correspond with other 8L cars such as Mk4 GTIs and R32s.

Examples local to me;
53 plate Mk4 R32 - ok, low miles at 43k but £10,250?
52 plate Mk4 GTI Anniversary - 70k and £6,550

I've seen facelift S3s from £4500 (which are a nicer car than the GTI Anni)...
I don't think i'd get any more than £7000 for my 52 plate (2003) S3 - is the R32 with similar performance (and greater thirst in these fuel-obsessed times) really worth £3000 more?
I guess VWs just have a bigger following?

Having said all that, local to me there are no less than 5 late-model 8L S3s between £8000 and £9000...

Prices all over the place?

i know what you mean mate, i can't work out the prices at all. top end 8L s3 prices (£11,000) are very, VERY close to 8P s3 prices (£15,000): and no offence to anybody who owns a 8L s3, but surely ud go for a 8P for a few grand more.

as for vws in general, the gti anniversary book prices are really low: prang it, and you can kiss goodbye to £2,000. The audi s3 prices are holding a lot truer to the values in the book.

ultimately tho, anyone can put a car up for whatever price they want but don't mean it's gonna sell ;-)