Please Help :(

Nezzy

Reaction score
Im hoping someone can shed some light on this.
The cars been in storage over the winter (A3 3.2 V6) and the battery has of course died despite being run every now and again.
Luckily I didnt lock the car so can get into it. Unfortunately I've discovered that you can't get under the bonnet to jump start it when the battery is dead. The bonnet release mechanism works but the latch under the bonnet doesnt opperate. I've clambered into the boot and attempted to remove the battery but the bright Audi tech that installed the new battery last year cleaverly rounded off one of the screws and did it up so tight that its impossible to remove.
Does anybody know how I can get under the bonnet to jump start the bad boy? Its doing my nut.

Cheers, Jamie.

Yes your quite right but Im sure I remember there being a positive terminal under the bonnet for jump starting. Also as above, unfortunately I cant get the last screw off the cover as its been rounded off :(

Jump start it from the terminals on the battery. Not ideal, but in times of difficulty....

Maybe I didnt make it clear enough before. I can't get to the battery as one of the bolts that hold the floor pan/battery cover down have been rounded.

Im just trying to find out if theres another way to release the bonnet when theres no battery power, or even if theres a way of releasing the auto box from park so I can actually get it out of the garage.

Ahh I gets you now!
Well I suggest in some way you get that battery cover off regardless because you will need to get to that battery some point very soon.

Also I'm pretty sure the bonnet is pure mechanical and does not need a power source to open it. It should release with the handle in the footwell. I have heard of locks jamming and some guys have used wd40 to free it up. Also read the other day someone jacked the cat up and went in from underneath the engine bay to force release the bonnet

as above the bonnet aint powered
jack car up do it that way or drill the rounded screw out

Have you tried to hammer on a size smaller socket and then try to undo the bolt that way or you could use a hacksaw to saw a slot on the top of the bolt and use a straight screw driver to unscrew it or just cold chisel it off at the head of the bolt. Just some options failing that just drill the head of the bolt off the straight through the middle of the head down to the threads I think the bolts that hold it in place are 6mm.

Hi,
to release the box from park into neutral take off the gear lever surround (the bit with prnd etc on) and insert a screwdriver into the top right and lever to the right.

well thats if i remember correctly it says in my owners book which I can't find at the moment.
To release the bonnet try getting someone to push down on it while pulling the lever.

Thanks guys. Much Appreciated. Managed to get the bonnet open today by applying a little pressure down on the bonnet then pulling the handle to get it up. Got it started and went out for a spin, got back, went to put the bonnet back up and its stuck again. Ha Ha. My bad. In my eagerness to take her out I completely forgot to grease the catch. I forgot how nice the V6 engine is. Put your foot down in any gear and it just keeps going. Much to your discust no doubt I've been driving an ep3 type r over the winter :)