Please help with ignition not turning

Buxx1

Reaction score
A few days ago my Audi A3 (2007 auto) steering wheel lock stopped working, and I ignored the warning signs thinking the wheel lock was not important. However the key won’t turn in the ignition today, I’ve also tried with the spare key and no luck. The steering wheel is still unlocked as it never locked in the first place but now I can’t start the car. Does any one know what is causing the problem?

have you tried moving the wheel about as you would when the steering lock is applied whist trying to start it?

Yeh, doesn’t make any difference. Also used the override switch to take car out of park and tried to turn the key while in neutral and drive and then back in to park but just doesn’t want to turn.

Ignition switch or barrel are faulty.

Ignition switch or barrel are faulty.

Oh dear, that’s what the mechanic I spoke to reckons. I couldn’t get the car to the garage so it was from just what I told him. Is the barrel expensive?

does any one know the part number for the ignition barrel I need? It’s 8PA 2007 Audi A3 2.0 Auto 170bhp. Thank you

Barrel is a bit more involved due to the internals to match the key, whereabouts are you located?

All sorted now, thank you everyone.

Purchased a ignition barrel from the scrapyard for £40 and had it fitted for £50.

The car now uses a different key to start up so had to swap the blades on the keys so I have the new blade on the old fob.

All sorted now, thank you everyone.

Purchased a ignition barrel from the scrapyard for £40 and had it fitted for £50.

The car now uses a different key to start up so had to swap the blades on the keys so I have the new blade on the old fob.

Driver door barrel should be swapped to match too