1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help Newbie (S5) timing chain and kick out on full lock

Tim Yip Sep 7, 2018

1. Tim Yip

Tim Yip Boyboy18 TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S5

I’ve just purchased a second hand v6 supercharged S5 (2013). I end up buying a front Grille and had it replaced from my local garage. He returned my car and said to me that the timing chain is going and the heldex system is bad as there’s a kick back when you full lock it. I took it to V.A.S.S in swanley who was recommended by one of our members and Spence who’s great and fair had me to leave it with him over night and this morning told me that there’s nothing that sounds any different from what it should, I did leave it in the garage parked for over a week and a half as I went away before I popped it to my local garage for the grille. Could any other S5 owners tell me if there’s make a bit of a louder noise if it hasn’t been driven for a while?
    I was then told that there isn’t a heldex system on the car but there are budget tyres on them from the previous owner. Will this make the Shakyness happen or can anyone advise me as to why this might be?
    Many thanks
    Tim

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. JulianW

JulianW Active Member

I can’t answer most of your concerns directly, but I can tell you that your local garage guy isn’t as well informed as he would like you to think. Your S5 does NOT have a Haldex system, and no A4/A5 platform car ever has (well, until the latest B9 cars, and their fancy-shancy “Ultra” system, turned up). The B8 and B8.5 cars all use a Torsen central diff and, in your car’s case, it’s a Quattro gen V Torsen Type C. If you’re a very lucky lad, you may even have the torque vectoring Sports Differential, which is basically the Type C on steroids (and a couple of step up gears, multiplate clutch packs, and some very clever software!).
    That “kick-back” on full lock (usually most evident at very low speeds - parking manoeuvres, for example) is a characteristic of the Torsen diff, and comes about as the diff tries to juggle the rotational differences between the wheel on the inside of a turn (which rolls minimally through a small arc) and the wheel on the outside of a turn (which rolls a lot through a much bigger arc). All of which means that the wheel on the inside of the turn momentarily locks and skips through the arc of the turn. And, yes, that’s normal!

Tashfeen likes this.
  4. Tashfeen

Tashfeen S4 - the smile per mile machine! Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Supercharged Audi S4 Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

@JulianW is spot on. No need to add anymore to it.

Never take the car back to that garage again. Let him fix Mercs and BMWs that he "knows" about...

Not an S5 but an S4 owner and I can tell you that it is normal and will go away after you've driven the car for a few miles. One thing I did notice was that ever since I have changed the discs and pads there is no such noise anymore. The last time I drove the car was 2 weeks after changing the discs and pads and didn't hear anything.

No compromise on tyres and brakes mate. If you can change them. When I bought my S4 a few years ago it had Contis with 6.5mm tread all around. I waited for a few months and changed over to Michelin PS3.

5. Tashfeen

Tashfeen S4 - the smile per mile machine! Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Supercharged Audi S4 Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

Oh and for a peace of mind I would book in a health check with the likes of MRC (Banbury and first choice) or AMD Technik in Woking, QST in Haywards Health (a friend uses them for his S4 and Q7) or Sanspeed (in Bexleyheath) who are used by @jdp1962 . I am sure either of them will be able put most of your concerns at ease.

jdp1962 likes this.
  6. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

If you're in Swanley, a trip to Sanspeed is a no-brainer.

Tashfeen likes this.
  7. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

How many miles has the engine done? The timing chains can become noisy, usually at cold start-up, but mostly only at higher mileage. Even then they don't need to be immediately retensioned.

8. Tim Yip

Thanks for the thorough
    thanks for the thorough reply Julian, I can’t explain how greatfull I am. I’ve been dreading to get rid of it as I’m in love with my S5.

9. Tim Yip

Hi Dippy
    Thank you for your replies too. I did ask for a second opinion as my trust with his knowledge wasn’t 100%. I will have to save up for the tyres as that’s what’s going to keep me alive. I was looking at which tyres will be best suited on them and a lot of people was recommending Michelin’s PS4? Your opinion?

10. Tim Yip

It’s on 62,000, is that classified as high?

11. Tim Yip

Thanks you Tashfeen, will try to get it booked in with sanspeed as it’s the closest to me. Thank you for the recommendation.

Tashfeen likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Tim Yip

Thanks, will do.

Tashfeen likes this.
  14. Tashfeen

Like I mentioned above I am on PS3s right now, PS4s will be my next choice as and when I replace them. I recently fitted PS4s on my Mrs' A3 8V so as to find out the difference and I quite like them tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

When you phone, ask for Jason, and tell him Jeff recommended you.

That way, if it goes horribly wrong, it'll be my fault......

16. Adamantium

Adamantium Member

Get PS4S if you can, they are not the same as PS4. The S on the end makes a big difference to the tyres. The PS4S is the best all round tyre I’ve ever had.

Tim Yip likes this.
  17. I oOEddOo I

I oOEddOo I Active Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition quattro

I am on p zero rosso at the moment ps4s next without any hesitation. Hope your car can be sorted soon and you can enjoy it even more.

Tim Yip likes this.
  18. Tim Yip

Thanks Jeff l, I’ve booked into sanspeed for
    Thursday to leave overnight. Diddn’t manage to speak to Jason but will mention it once I bring my baby in.
    Fingers cross everything’s ok.

jdp1962 likes this.
  19. Tim Yip

I would like the PS4s but is it worth the price difference and whats the durability on it like? I was looking at the yoko sport advan compare to the ps4s?

20. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

62K shouldn't be high enough for significant loss of timing chain tension, unless you are unlucky.
    At that mileage your s-tronic gearbox should have been serviced at least once?

I'm a biased Michelin fan. I have Pirelli P-zeros now and they will be changed for PS4S's.

Its a long time since I had a car with Yokos and I can't remember which version. Great tyres but they wore out quickly.

Tashfeen likes this.
  21. jdp1962

Mine is visiting on Tuesday to have a stealthy phone charger installation.

Tashfeen likes this.
  22. jdp1962

@Tim Yip, the other useful people to know are BM Sport, just round the corner from Sanspeed, in Lion Road

They have a Hunter four-wheel alignment rig.

23. I oOEddOo I

I oOEddOo I Active Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition quattro

at the moment the ps4s is selling in oponeo for £178 each there are a lot of people on here recommend it. In terms of durability it depends on the driver how hard you drive your car, the amount of air you put in and road conditions etc. There is a video on YouTube giving the ps4s a review it was tested on an grey e92 m3 I think.

24. arad85

arad85 Well-Known Member Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition

I have 265/30 x 20 PS4S's on my S5. I've had them on a year and do about 1k miles per month. I measured them last month and they're 6mm on the rear, 5.5 mm on the front. I have a tuned S5 and push it whenever I can. I'm impressed and will be shelling out the cash for them next time around.

25. Tim Yip

Great
    thanks again Jeff, will have to give them a shout after I get the timing chain noise sorted but it’s strange as the guy from V.A.S.S couldn’t hear anything.

26. Tim Yip

Yeah I’m very tempted from watching reviews and how everyone’s recommending it on here. Thanks for reply

27. DaveW1946

DaveW1946 New Member

Lawyers in Australia and the USA are examining claims against Audi that several of their cars have been fitted with defective timing chains and tensioners, resulting in early engine failure and unsafe vehicles. Is anything being pursued in the UK about this issue?

Vehicles affected are: 2008 - 2012 A3, A4, A5, Q3, Q5, TT

My granddaughter’s A3 timing chain slipped and wrecked the engine at 88,000 miles.