Please help me i need a new turbo :(

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Evening people

To cut a long story short.....

I got my wheels and coilys on yesterday. Everything was all good until today i smacked a pothole and slit a hole in my sump. New sump was put on in a few hours and i thought everything was perfect again. Drove the car and there is a whirring sound coming from the car. No power and and turbo spool up sound. My turbo f***ed in the process when the oil drained out and dried out the turbo.

Now i need a new turbo :( i feel like complete ***** right now and i need to source a new one asap!! Where can i get one and is there any other alternatives apart from a K04 which is a straight bolt on??

My engine code is AMK.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks, Jay.

Gutted for you, having had 2 tyres and a rear ARB fall victim to potholes this year I feel for you. Don't know if any other turbos will fit, but there plenty of very knowledgeable guys on here that will point you in right direction.

Sorry to hear,

you could part exchange your current one for a refrub/new one?
go hybrid and do that remap you wanted

sorry to hear,ask one of our sponsors JBS do hybrid ones

why dont you rebuild it...i dont remember the company name that do this work in the UK but im pretty sure there is two out there
if i recall...it was 270

Thanks guys. It's such a pain in the ****, especially after spending £1200 on my new looks yesterday and the next day the car messed up!!

I'll look into getting a rebuild done, sounds like the better cheaper option. If i was to get a hybrid turbo, is there anything else that would need doing for it to adapt to the car or is it a straight bolt on turbo?

I'm unaware of any engine damage, seems fine to me apart from the power loss due to the turbo.

I would get your engine checked out mate, oil starvation can be bad...

How long was the car running when the sump cracked?

...If i was to get a hybrid turbo, is there anything else that would need doing for it to adapt to the car or is it a straight bolt on turbo?

Rods, FMIC, 3" DP and a stage 3 map would be advisable... Check out the K04 Hybrid thread in the stickies....

<tuffty/>

bad news Troops. hope you get it sorted geeza. i aint to far from you if you really get stuck. im goods with a spanner and am no Audi engine out virgin if it comes to it! :)

lol Cheers Alpine. My mechanic is gonna sort it all out so hopefully it'll be okay after that!

When i get a new turbo does it mean i need a new remap or would i still be okay with my map on there now? It's a Superchips Stage 1 remap which was already on the car.

...When i get a new turbo does it mean i need a new remap or would i still be okay with my map on there now? It's a Superchips Stage 1 remap which was already on the car.

Be fine mate... replacement K04 will no different flow wise, you would have an issue with the hybrid though if you went down that route

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty. I'll most probably opt for a K04 again as i don't have money for the K04 hybrid setup right now. Money is going everywhere argh!

These guys aren't from me at all so i'll be speaking with them tomorrow to see what they can sort out! ....

http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk/

for reference, did you get an oil pressure warning straight away?

Nope, it came on about 2-3 mins later. I was then driving for a further 2 mins to get to my destination where 1 of my mechanics is.

Rods, FMIC, 3" DP and a stage 3 map would be advisable... Check out the K04 Hybrid thread in the stickies....

<tuffty/>

Tuffty, can i run the hybrid turbo without the Rods, FMIC, 3" DP, stage 3 map? Would i do any damage if i did that? I would obviously get those things but it would be quite a while after.

Thanks

Arguably yes but the mapping would need sorting and the boost turned right down to prevent the rod bending torque these things are capable of...

Your current map would not run that well on a hybrid... Speedy Steve is driving his with the N75 pulled but pretty sure he has a second mode of transport available...

Realistically you are looking at rods around the £330 mark (depending on exchange rate which is ***** atm), FMIC from AH Fabs for £250 + £100 in hoses/pipes, 3" DP + CAT (price unknown) and possibly larger injectors... then fitting and mapping of course... ask Speedy Steve how his drives currently to give you an idea... really does depend on how you can get away with driving the car tbh... You could do what I have done and buy a £200 run about until you get all the work done then get it mapped...

Thanks matey. Looks like alot i'd have to do then! I thought it would simply go on and then add the other mods to adapt to it whenever you like. I haven't got money for that kinda modding at the moment, it's a bit too much for me!

If i get my turbo refurbed, is there anything they can do to give it a slight tweak somewhere? Or if they can't do anything like this and do a simple refurb, will the car be slightly quicker than what it was before as the turbo is like new after a freshen up by them?

TBH mate, Bill is much much more of an expert at this than me but I would have thought that if you got a hybrid and then got someone like Bill to do an initial mapping using one of his stage 3 maps then he could at least get it so it will run ok until you can afford to get the rest of the work done then take it back to get the map tweaked...

I would give him a call or something if I were you.... seems a bit silly not to take advantage of your unfortunate situation and fit a better turbo.

<tuffty/>

I'll have a word with Bill then. I'm sure he'll jump in on this topic somewhere. Is it a big job taking the turbo out and putting it in again? Gotta get my car on a flat bed to my friends garage tomorrow :(

...Is it a big job taking the turbo out and putting it in again?...

I won't lie to you mate, its a nob of a job on an S3.... much easier to do with the head off tbh... cost of head bolts and a head gasket is a small price to pay to preserve sanity...

<tuffty/>

Right, i've spoken to a couple of places. Turbo Developments said they don't know if they can repair it because the shafts in the turbo might have been damaged. Turbo Dynamics said the same thing. So if its non repairable i need a new turbo. CR Turbos said they can repair it with upgraded 360 degree thrust bearings as i asked for a little tweaking seeing as i'm not going down the hybrid route!

So now i'm confused, can the turbo be repaired whatever the damage is?

EDIT - Spoke to CR Turbos again to clear things up about 'non repairable'. They said the other companies are talking rubbish and they can repair anything in the turbo. The guy also said he has every component to make a turbo from scratch so there's nothing to worry about!

Sounds good to me!!! :)

sounds like a plan, i think if only the turbo has gone you are lucky after driving for 2 mins with NO OIL in the engine.

See when the big red flashing light comes on the dash board, accompanied with the three loud beeps... it means STOP THE ****** CAR NOW.

Had you done that, your turbo and engine would be perfectly fine.

Its also worth noting that the engine itself WILL have taken a beating too, and because its not dead just now doesnt mean it wont spit out a big end bearing next week.

I know what you mean matey. I didn't know what to do as i've never experienced flashing oil lights and beeping before! Whatever happened has happened and repair bills are gonna get paid! I'm hearing alot of this engine damage now and i pray nothing else has been damaged in the car!! My mechanic will take care of it though and sort it out as he always does. Do you know how mechanics check to see if there is any engine damage?

Thanks everyone

Jay

....Do you know how mechanics check to see if there is any engine damage?...

...generally by taking it apart mate... dropping the sump and having an end cap off a rod or crank journal will give access to the bearings.. should be able to see what damage has been done from there...

Good luck with it all, hope its not to bad a shock... like I said before... £200 runabout FTW... I love my Mk2 Golf :icon_thumright:

<tuffty/>

I won't lie to you mate, its a nob of a job on an S3.... much easier to do with the head off tbh... cost of head bolts and a head gasket is a small price to pay to preserve sanity...

<tuffty/>

Head off, every single time for me. No way I would entertain doing it without.

Thanks for the info people. I'm planning to get the car to my mechanic by flatbed tomorrow morning and hopefully get CR Turbos to collect the turbo on Friday. They will take 2-3 days and return it back to him. With luck it'll be done early next week fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear this mate, hope you get it all sorted cheaply and quickly.

Get some pics up of the new look car for us to see, im sure seeing those pics will put a smile back on your face :)

Cheers Nilz. I've only got a couple of phone pictures as the rims and coilys went on Monday and then the next day Tuesday it all went pear shaped! Didn't get a chance to do a photoshoot yet! I feel really crap seeing it just sit on the drive and can't wait for it to go get fixed. Makes me more depressed the more i see or think about it.

Car is being picked up today by flatbed and hopefully turbo will be out by end of day. If everything goes to plan then CR Turbos will collect tomorrow and begin the work. Looking at a week without the S3 but i've thankfully got another turbo'd car i can i use for work!.................. My mums 1.4 Polo TDI Sport!! With its super fast 90bhp it would whoop my S3's *** easily in its current state!

I'll keep this updated just in case it happens to someone else and will give you a rough idea of what to expect!

Oops! Haven't updated this in a while so this is what happened....

There is shell bearing damage, crankshaft damage with bearings and a couple other bits too. A new oil pump is on the way too as there was metal against metal grinding away due to no lubrication from no oil and has now left metal bits floating around in my oil pump!!

Turbo has already been built this week by CR Turbos and sent back to my mechanic. It had a full rebuild with 360 degree thrust bearings for a bit more power! Car will be ready today but i can't collect until tomorrow as i'm working so tomorrow morning i will have my baby back!!!!! :)

An email has been sent to the council as requested with pictures and a story for them to review and hopefully they'll pay for my £1000+ damage!!!!!!!!!

Just thought i'd keep you updated as i stated previously for reference.

Jay :icon_thumright: (so damn happy!!!!!!!!)