Please help me, 2004 audi a3 2.0tdi bkd, white/grey smoke on idel and smells a bit rich or burny

John hughes

Reaction score
Hi all, I have my beloved 2004 audi a3 2.0tdi bkd engine, its on 157000 miles, it runs a little lumpy, nothing to major, but on start up and under load it smokes a white grey ish colour and smells a little rich, when warmed up it tends to struggle a bit to restart. Can some one please help me with some advice,

Cracked/porous cylinder head or the turbo may be failing.

Is it using any coolant?

As far as I can tell my coolant level is fine, that's what's so confusing. Was wondering if it may be injector seals or something, I have no milky stuff in my oil either. And it pulls reasonably well in the gears to.

Thing is I havnt been able to give it a good run yet, as brought it about a week ago, and noticed this straight away, and after reading all the threads about possible cracked heads on the bkd engines didn't want to make it any worse, and what's more is the dual mass is also rattling alot, so ganna change that to a single mass in next few days.

Does any one no if my 2.0tdi bkd 6 speed gear box will fit directly on to a 1.9tdi engine, as if this is going to be to costly if it was to be a cracked or pourus head I'm thinking of buying a used 1.9tdi engine to put in my 2.0tdi a3, and also does any one no if the tw0 engine sizes have the same mounts.

Do a good run & then check coolant the next day, the head or gasket contracts, expands on use, non use & only (with my research) after a good long run does it lower over night, no leaks anywhere, but drops & starting that next day suggests coolant entering combustion, as has white minimal startup smoke & also minimal lumpiness momentarily.

It may also be a few things, coolant sensors, there's 2 are prone to bad hot restart issues, starters also suffer from heatsoak.

I doubt its necessary to swap engine out.

Turbo may need a clean but as it pulls fine, can't imagine its this, which reminds me, I must do mine also as its been a few years.

Thanks for you replys. While I'm on here, I'm in the middle of changing my dual mass to a single mass, does any one no if this drive shaft just pulls out, as there is no bolts to undo at the gear box end, as I'm sure when I did my 1.9 a3 it was connected by a cup on each end.
IMG 20210715 211432