Please Help .. cant decide which car to buy.

DIABLO636

Reaction score
I've just sold my 2006 A3 2.0TDi DSG to contrubute towards a house deposit. Gutted to see it go but need a replacement. I've been searching for a while on a tight budget and have narrowed my selction to these two possibilities.

2002 A4 1.8t with 125k miles full service history including recent service, cam belt, new disk and pads all round, 4 new tyres and new mot but just 3months tax left.

or

2001 BMW 320i SE Auto with 101k miles full service history including new disks, pads all round, 4 good tyres but needs taxing.

I negotiated the Audi down to £2,500, the BMW down to £1,950.

Both cars are in excellent condition for the years and mileage and really do drive like they are new.
I only do about 150 miles per week but dont want to get totally hammered by ridiculously low fuel economy.

Which do i buy? Audi is familiar but more expensive but has full leather and shold be a little more economical, BMW is cheap, something different, very smooth six cylinder engine and looks great but im worried about how thirsty it is. (its also slower than the audi)

Cant decide and the other half has told me to buy one by tomorrow or she will hit the roof. We are currently without a car.

Any constructive help or experience with either model will help towards my decision.

Tough choice, I'd probably go BMW out of the two, but wouldn't mind either to be fair, and prices seem fair for both also.

I would probably choose my car based on toys or colour.

It's awkward as both are very nice. BMW is silver with 18" alloys, parking sensors, ipod connection, auto box trip computer. Feels new and interestingly different to what I'm used too. Audi is denim blue with 17" alloys but also has full black leather which looks like its not been sat in despite its 125k miles, 6 cd changer, feels familiar and reliable. BMW is a few hundred quid cheaper but I'm concerned by reports of 20-25mpg figs. Most driving is around town. Very stop start. Other half loved the auto in my A3 so would like the auto BMW but might actually kill me if the economy is really that bad. Totally stuck on what to do.

Well, if economy is an issue, then it has to be A4. All petrol Beemers with Auto boxes are thirsty, I've never driven one that isn't! And incidently, my mates 51 reg 318i Auto has just got a gearbox problem with just under 100k miles, so maybe a sign of weakness there?

And of course, you can get your A4 remapped for more power if it isn't quick enough. Depends on if you want the 'ultimate driving machine' or something with a nicely built interior that will comfortably get you from A to B? There's no doubt the BMW is the better drive out of the two.

The Mrs seems to edging towards the BM - Its cheaper by £550 and she thinks it would be a nice change - if its too expensive im pretty sure I could sell it for more than i'm paying for it anyway.

Did try to recommend us buying both of them - it didn't work. (shock)

We figure the BM would cost about £300 - £350 more per year in fuel and so therefore its still less than the Audi would cost us overall.

Would 35mpg from the Audi be achievable with mostly city driving? (ive generally got a heavy foot but can be careful when i need to be)

Bought the BMW - just too much car for too little money to turn down - now i just need my own private petrol station and i'll be fine.