PLEASE HELP A3 2.0 170 sportback DSG 07 plate

Simon184

Reaction score
Hi im having a problem if anyone can help my car has started black smoke when i put my foot down then it has started intermittently when driving around 30 mph jerking like the rev counter goes down and slows the car down suddenly then it just comes back to life within a second that has progressively gotten worse to the point it has slowed the car down juddery to 5 mph roughly and cut out I had a feeling it could be a faulty injector so I tried some injector cleaner on an empty tank then put only 20 litres in and thrashed it about and the problem stopped for a month knowing it was to good to be true that it could be that easy now the problem has came back tried the cleaner again and done nothing now the car stalls ticking over and when pulling off dsg no fault codes other than glow plug cilynder 2 Amber glow plug light was flashing on cars last lease of life but I have been assured a glow plug couldn't cause these problems

My 2.0 began smoking and had very uneven power delivery, it would too seem to “cough” when under load. It was a faulty throttle valve (diesel 2.0s have these before the EGR valve on the intake), had it replaced and it has been fine ever since.

Reactions: Simon184
Was it black smoke that would make sense because the fuel mixture would be incorrect was there a way of seeing if the throttle body was faulty and if it's before the egr would that be easy to get to to investigate im a newb to this but would really like to get to know my car better also thanks for your advise

Yes it was black smoke under load and every time it hesitated it would let out a thick cloud- my **** was covered in soot unless I washed it every other day...
Is your check engine light on? Also check the fuse for the throttle body (cant remember which exact one but should say in the back of the Audi manual. My motor for the throttle body destroyed the gears, got jammed and burnt out, thus burning the fuse. The fact it was stuck closed meant engine was not getting enough air and diesel was burning too rich, hence black smoke. I tried changing the fuse but it burnt instantly, so that led me to change the whole bit. Cleaned the EGR while I was at it, drives like a dream now. The boost pipe comes off with removal of a C-shape clip, then the throttle/EGR assembly comes off after removing three 10mm bolts, if I recall correctly. A two hour Saturday job :)