Played with Plastidip on my grill..

TomSx

Reaction score
Reactions: DJ_26, Brennan, Mario8P and 1 other person
Black looks better , the silver goes funny with water marks

Never had a issue with the silver trim. I do like black but not sure if it cheapens the look.

Looks good, however the silver wheels look ace against the black paint and I think if you introduced some silver mirrors that would kind of tie in with the grill. (if that makes sense lol)

My old car was black and I blacked the grill - looked mint. However my S3 has silver surround but it matches the mirrors and wheels.

But de-chrome/de-silver seems to be the way people are going now, and I must say it does make the car look abit newer/fresher :kissmyrings:

I know what you mean but then with silver mirrors it'd be like im making a S3 rep which I kinda against..lol

How easy was it to do the grill surround mate?

After doing mine.

b5eb794410019841f17fe4299d1fd9bc.jpg

love Plastidip.

Got a can here waiting to do my front splitter/lip.

Did you mask it off ?

All I did was mask it all off leaving the silver taking my time. Then lots of light coats building it up. One thing I would advise is have a blade so you can cut around once finished and ensure the plastidip doesn't stick to the tape when you remove it.

It's so easy you can't go wrong. If you do, peel it off and start again. :)

Reactions: Briandoh
nice job! I wonder how this would look on my white a3..... hmmm......

First thing I did was dip the grille and all the chrome trim on the fogs and door handles and the badges on the back. Left the rings chrome for some balance
20140909 1133222

Then I dipped the rims for winter...
20150308 073950

Reactions: doctor46goat
Thanks for the pics guys. Got my can ordered and waiting for a nice dry day to give it a go. I like the idea that its easy to remove if needed. I think i should have bought more cans because i know im going to be tempted to dip other things!

I tried plastidip on the chrome surround of my Fabia vRS a while ago and had a disaster with it. I removed the chrome from the grill, thoroughly cleaned it up to remove any contaminants then applied 3 or 4 coats. Admittedly it looked great, but on my very first journey out as soon as i hit 50+ mph it all started flapping around so i stopped and pulled it all off.

Maybe i did something wrong, maybe i didnt, but im not sure i would bother with it again.

Any body tried the halfords flexible vinyl paint?

I tried plastidip on the chrome surround of my Fabia vRS a while ago and had a disaster with it. I removed the chrome from the grill, thoroughly cleaned it up to remove any contaminants then applied 3 or 4 coats. Admittedly it looked great, but on my very first journey out as soon as i hit 50+ mph it all started flapping around so i stopped and pulled it all off.

Maybe i did something wrong, maybe i didnt, but im not sure i would bother with it again.

Hmm must have done? Mines going strong and see a jet wash a few times now.

IMG 0881
Did mine at the end of the summer, put 5 coats of black, then two glossifier. Easy, but time consuming.
Looked good for a few months. Took it through car wash (hand wash), all fine, then again 2 weeks later and one of the jet sprays took it off along the bottom of the grille. Was gutted having to peel it off. Just waiting for weather and time off to coincide so I can do it again.

My grills been done for a year no issues so far hopefully doing my full car soon just having an issue with the pearl blue going hazy did a test spray on my bonnet at the moment it's not looking great :(