Plastidipped alloys question....

BigWillyStyle

Reaction score
When i need to change the tyre, will the plastidip come off when the take the tyre off? (They will be getting sprayed with tyres off,about 4/5 coats) or will it be strong enough to not peel?

P.S I looked on the search engine but couldnt find the answer, apologies if there is one and i missed it!

I would tempted to get the ryes then mask them off and spray or just spray then and peel the paint off the wheel that's what I done on my alloys on the golf mk4 I am about to sell to help towards the s3 fund

Ur not going to put heavy over spray onto tyres so just put tyres on first to save any damage to plasti dip, ill be taking wheels off washing them and spraying on weekend also aslong as weather is good

Ur not going to put heavy over spray onto tyres so just put tyres on first to save any damage to plasti dip, ill be taking wheels off washing them and spraying on weekend also aslong as weather is good

I mean in the future when i need change the tyre. Just hoping i dont have to do it all again! :sadlike:

Didnt think of it that way only got cheap budgets on mine that's why I done it

for the price of plastidip, is it really a massive issue if you have to redo them in 18 months or so? :)

I got something called spray n wrap for £5 a can so will try that on sunday all being well got two cans of gun metal colour,

I got something called spray n wrap for £5 a can so will try that on sunday all being well got two cans of gun metal colour,

That stuff is no where NEAR as durable as PD... my m8 bought a tin of that and it does the job, but is no where near as good as PD. 1. It blocks nozzle easily, 2 it does not cover aswell and 3 it isn't a solid colour if you get me - you could see through it when we did his badges (only ever so slightly...)

Back to topic - I would get tyres fitted then use business cards and place them around the rim, in between the tyre and the alloy, that way nothing should get on the tye and it will all go on the alloy.

However if you decide to spray it all and go over the tyre aswell, make sure you spray a thick enough coat to be able to peel off, otherwise you will be picking for hours...

O well i only paid £10 for two cans so cant complain plus only doing a set of LM reps for winter just to make them look a bit better as they are pretty rough at the moment

My mate had 4 cans and only used 2, his wheels seem perfectly fine he sold me two cans for £10 so thought why not

Funny this has came up.... I just bought a new set of rims last week... waiting on the tyres coming for them, should be here on friday, i've only plasti-dipped the 1 rim at the moment with the tyres off because I wanted to test the plasti-dip through the machine to see if it causes any damage... I've got quite a complex design on my wheels so I wanted to test, cause it'll be a bassa to do them again... so I should be able to let you know by the weekend! ;)

powder coat them for less than 300 quid some places, last the wars, get guarantee and looks spot on. jacko, wheel pro scotland done mine and there good job and less than 300!

Thanks for the replies guys.

T8DPR-No its not much of an issue but my tyres are due a change in the next few months. I do over 600 miles as week so i go through tyres more often than once every 18 months!

If they get chipped will they have to be stripped and sprayed again with plasti dip?

Turbonutz-In the future i will get them powder coated but im still not sure of a permanent colour yet so this i just a quick fix. 300 isnt a bad price at all! A little cheaper near me but not sure of the quality! :sadlike:

Thanks for the replies guys.

T8DPR-No its not much of an issue but my tyres are due a change in the next few months. I do over 600 miles as week so i go through tyres more often than once every 18 months!

If they get chipped will they have to be stripped and sprayed again with plasti dip?

Turbonutz-In the future i will get them powder coated but im still not sure of a permanent colour yet so this i just a quick fix. 300 isnt a bad price at all! A little cheaper near me but not sure of the quality! :sadlike: