Facelift Pirelli Tyre Defects - Response

Another one to add to the list @AudiNutta

This is getting beyond a joke. Your mum could have been killed @LCarter . Audi need to sort this!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Callump01
Interesting to see the wear issues some are having. I would just say that the same thing happened to me a year ago on my current A45 - worn on the inside shoulder down to the canvas. They were the originally fitted tyres - Conti 5s. I replaced them with Goodyear F1s and this thread has reminded me to have a look to see if it's happening again....especially as I paid to have a full laser 4 wheel alignment...

Reactions: NevMan
8cbebf581d5636d5576cd1e83ecf6140.jpg

And another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Australia Audi have done a recall for faulty tyres on the A5 b8&b9. Different issue but this is clearly what needs to be done for thE RS3 before someone has a serious accident. No one is going to expect a tyre to wear out in such a short time frame and the inside edge wear is really hard to spot unless you are actively looking and at the right angle.

Just putting this one out there chaps, but F1 Autocentres are currently doing 4 235/35/R19 Michellin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (possibly other sizes too) for £105.35 each with code MCH13. Cheapest I have seen it by far. Could be a perfect time to switch over until this gets sorted if you're on the edge about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sve170 and Terminator x
Just putting this one out there chaps, but F1 Autocentres are currently doing 4 235/35/R19 Michellin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (possibly other sizes too) for £105.35 each with code MCH13. Cheapest I have seen it by far. Could be a perfect time to switch over until this gets sorted if you're on the edge about it.
255/30/20's are £186 with the discount... ouch!

Edit: just seen I can buy some budget versions for £67 per tyre... I'm sure they have outstanding wet weather grip!

:sos:

Last edited:
Do I stick with Pirelli pzero r02 or do I go for Michelin pilot sport 4s since there’s a good offer on

You can add me @AudiNutta

I had my rear wheels put on the front but I am not sure what tyre pressures are best to make the front last longer... they are currently at 40psi

I am putting off getting new tyres until it’s really needed. I saw that PS4 price too...

I too swapped front to back to even out wear, my original fronts were starting to wear on the inside edge after 6k miles running standard door sticker pressures. I am now running 39 rear and 44 front (the higher door sticker pressures) and the wear is now even across the width of the front tyres.

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/br...ImN1BnpFhg2m8sE3tdxoCz3EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thats a great price fitted isn't it?

I am not sure if my tyres need changing yet - don't get me wrong as some point the thread will start showing and then I will be in there but right now I have enough tread on the rest of the tyres. I set up my pressures to 39 front and 35 rear as it is just me in the car. I guess that lower pressure will reduce wear?

So had a reply back form Audi FS, as expected, couldn't care less on the safety aspect and doing everything to not accept there is a problem.

They have deemed that there is no issue, its as per factory specification and as such no fault exists (im not sure how just because its in factory specification no inherent fault exist).
As with any big company, im guessing its all about statistics, until a number of people are seriously hurt and Audi have to pay out, Im guessing not much will be done.

Next Step is Audi UK again

Reactions: AudiNutta
I know I don't have an RS3 yet so I may be adding useless posts..:redface:
My A45 had it's first MOT today so I took the opportunity to look at the front tyres (had similar issues to you on the first set with wearing on the inner shoulder). Looks like a 4 wheel laser alignment and Goodyear F1 tyres have done the trick. Wear looks fairly even with no obvious extra on the inner shoulders so it appears to have been sorted. Have others had issues after changing tyre brand (despite the TC light kicking in some have reported)?

I just completed my Audi customer satisfaction survey and highlighted the tyres as a major issue. Survey was done by a third party and they asked if I was happy for this to be referred to Audi with my contact details. I said yes ofcourse. We will see what happens.
I did the same in the past with the AMG (same survey co.) and dealer did call to ask me if I wanted to bring it in.

If ONLY for reference:

Pirelli P ZERO off the FRONT of an AUDI SQ5 at 19700 miles (sorry Matthew...):

Pzero SQ5

Over inflated slightly yes, for sure, but replaced now by DUNLOP SP SPORT MAXX GT and we'll monitor/adjust the pressure to suit wear rather than Audi recommendation!

Just got back from Audi Cheltenham from having it’s first service,my front tyres are wearing evenly at have 5mm tread at 7400 miles
So I’m really confused why some are wearing on the shoulders

Just got back from Audi Cheltenham from having it’s first service,my front tyres are wearing evenly at have 5mm tread at 7400 miles
So I’m really confused why some are wearing on the shoulders

Did you check them yourself or are you relying on the dealer? Mine told me my tyres were fine but far from it.

However, You could be one of the lucky ones that doesn’t have the problem.

Did you check them yourself or are you relying on the dealer? Mine told me my tyres were fine but far from it.

However, You could be one of the lucky ones that doesn’t have the problem.

I am the same with no issues at 10,000mls. All four tyres had perfect even wear across the full width of the tyres.

Reactions: Tristan2
I would love to know the reasoning why some are and some aren’t
Surely it’s the tyres

I would love to know the reasoning why some are and some aren’t
Surely it’s the tyres

On the contrary, I’d say it’s not the tyres. It’s more likely to be geometry and setup on the car, given that some cars are ok and these particular Pirelli tyres seem ok some some other RS3’s and indeed other cars.

Reactions: DW81, sve170 and Tristan2
Mine is another one to add to the list exactly 7000 miles and the outer edge is almost no tread. Not impressed. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

I don’t have magride and my tyres are all good

Reactions: sve170
I do have magride and my tires are all ok since running increased pressures

I am running the max door sticker pressures, 44 front 39 rear

Yep, I also run the tyres very close to the upper pressures on the door sticker.
Although somewhere on this forum there was some confusion regarding the door sticker pressures and how to interpret them, especially with the staggered wheel set-up.

Must admit Audi could improve the data on the sticker, very easy to misinterpret the figures.

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/br...ImN1BnpFhg2m8sE3tdxoCz3EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thats a great price fitted isn't it?

I am not sure if my tyres need changing yet - don't get me wrong as some point the thread will start showing and then I will be in there but right now I have enough tread on the rest of the tyres. I set up my pressures to 39 front and 35 rear as it is just me in the car. I guess that lower pressure will reduce wear?

Thats about the average online purchase price for those tyres, I'd expect to pay between £130 and £140 each, so yes fitted that is a decent deal providing the fitting centre will be safe with handling your wheels.

UPDATE;

Guys I want to apologise for my absence in this thread, as always I've been busy in work and my rest days even more chaotic. I seem to be going to work to rest, haha.

Anyway I have been busy, with help from @45bvtc. I have now sent out 117 emails to Audi Centre's in the UK, that is the majority with potentially a few missing that aren't on centre lists as they are 'approved used' centres. You may wonder the response I've had from those emails?.. well it started off well, then rapidly went downhill.. so I've been sending the emails for 4 days and I've received a grand total of 9 replies, out of 117 centres... a whopping 10.5% that can be bothered to acknowledge my communication. Anyway I will not be giving up, I've got quite a large spreadsheet that will assist me to track communication with every single centre and appropriate person. If these dealers don't reply within a short window, I will call each and every one until I have a contact email for their diagnostics/technical person. I feel that I've made my name a well known presence in the brand now and whether that's a good or a bad thing, I hope it has made a difference. One thing for sure I will never be able to work into a UK service department again without the name ringing a bell, oops.

In addition to this the MD of Audi UK, Andrew Doyle has been contacted and made aware of the issue we are all suffering with currently. I received a prompt response and Audi UK have been willing to listen from that (superb), today I had a good lengthly phonemail with a great guy and has left me with some faith. Nobody can say what will happen, if anything will but I've succeeded in my goal to get this escalated above dealer level and it is as we speak being raised to the highest level. I am hoping that Audi UK even if they aren't willing to agree that there is an issue with the car, will assist in our investigations to try and get to the bottom of it. I am remaining neutral in the hope that whether it is Audi or Pirelli at fault, all parties can work together to find a resolution.

What is important is that we don't lose our temper with Audi, be firm but at the end of the day we are all enthusiasts working together in aid of our passion to find a satisfactory resolution, shouting and balling will not help the cause. Over the years I've lost my temper and most would argue quite rightfully so, but it made myself a liability and I've learnt my lesson the hard way. Being civil and working with both parties this time has worked in favour of us all, if we can all do the same there is a chance of us all building a good relationship with Audi and fingers crossed coming to a satisfactory outcome that suits us all.

I would like to make everyone aware that your contributions are valued and do count, Audi UK are well aware of this thread and I believe have read it and will continue to do so. So if you have this issue, please do document with photographs and as much information as possible, it is being viewed by the appropriate people I assure you. If you are motivated to get a resolution like a good few of us now, sending your tyres to Pirelli and contacting Audi UK is necessary. Your local dealer I am sure will be happy to assist with sending the tyres to Pirelli as I have been assured by the ones I have had contact with so far, who have expressed if they come across this issue will raise it with the appropriate channels.

Thanks everyone for your contributions and patience, it is a good job these cars as so good in all other measurable aspects to keep us somewhat content for now.

:nogarors4::racer:

Reactions: mister.c., sve170, teslaboy and 11 others
Excellent update I think we all appreciate your hard work around this issue :icon thumright:

Reactions: NBS, JWAM, Pinky1959 and 2 others
Excellent update I think we all appreciate your hard work around this issue :icon thumright:

Thank you! :) All will be worth it if something comes out of this.

Reactions: Tristan2, Callump01 and 45bvtc
So what have I been up to today? I've spent near on 4 hours calling around 50 Audi Centre's to obtain service manage email address', after failing to receive a response from the general email addresses on the Audi UK website. Trying to keep at it, I don't know how these call centre workers do it, it is tiresome.

I've had two good responses today, one after a phone call to a centre which quickly confirmed they were all aware of the issue, no need to send an email to their service manager (that is amazing for me to hear after so many hours work). They will have just seen my email to their general address and not acknowledged, but the point is to hear somebody say they are aware.. that goes a long way after months and months of getting turned away. Then an email just now stating they are aware and that Audi UK are currently investigating this and there is now a reference number for this issue :D The reference number to quote with Audi UK is AU1374061X.... FANTASTIC!

Thanks for all your help guys! I hope that after this you will all be able to walk into your local centre, speak to your service manager, head of business or after sales manager and for them to have been directly informed by myself of this issue... I hope we will hear no more of this "isolated and unknown issue" nonsense.

Reactions: mister.c., Stu+mel, NevMan and 10 others
I think we all owe you a round of beers for sorting this out!

Reactions: NevMan, sve170, deepy and 1 other person
I think we all owe you a round of beers for sorting this out!

Well it's far from sorted yet, still going to be a long process but sticking with it is important.

I don't drink hence the car at my age, the resolution at the end will be the only thanks I need :thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan, D0C and Phil3
I won't insult you by offering you new tyres all round then!! The effort you have put in is truly heroic and will certainly be appreciated - if my RS3 (when ordered etc) has this issue but is able to be resolved thanks to your efforts I will the thankful!!:respekt::icon thumright:

Reactions: Stu+mel, NevMan and sve170
I won't insult you by offering you new tyres all round then!! The effort you have put in is truly heroic and will certainly be appreciated - if my RS3 (when ordered etc) has this issue but is able to be resolved thanks to your efforts I will the thankful!!:respekt::icon thumright:

Well, tyres maybe I could make an exception on ;) On a serious note, if Audi want to give us all 50% off of Pirelli’s forever that could be seen as acceptable :p

Good luck on the order, you won’t be disappointed.. fantastic car.

I’m in the US and taking delivery of my RS3 in July. Do you think the UK shares this info with the US?

No it will be UK market only unless this gets to the stage of a recall, which it is very unlikely to do so as I don't think there will be a fix as such. You can direct your dealer in the US to this thread and maybe that will aid them to get the ball rolling if you have the same issue.

The only thing I can see being a plausible fix is if Audi ask Pirelli to contract the tyre with a harder compound on the inside tyre shoulder to withstand the aggressive setup, which Audi claim to be normal.

Just been in to Edinburgh Autohaus to get an oil service and the revised APR map installed. They came back and advised me that my tyres were frankly shot to sh*t upfront. Pretty much illegal to be driving on. Showed me a photo and they are frankly a disgrace after 13k miles. Will try get some photos!

I’m in the US and taking delivery of my RS3 in July. Do you think the UK shares this info with the US?

All the info has been generated on this forum, following the amazing effort by ‘aidinutta’ the issue would have never gone anywhere.
It seems Audi UK are now aware of the issue, will they share it with other countries......probably not.

Enjoy the RS when it arrives, one amazing motor.