Facelift Pirelli Tyre Defects - Response

Mine gives temps too, I noticed that my offside front was always a higher temp (normally ends up 4-7 odd degrees) pressure is the same on both.

When it was in at Audi it was suggested by the master tech that it was due to the engine heat.

Hi all - just catching up on this thread.

It’s seems I’m impacted by the same issue, my car was in the dealership for intermediate service at the weekend (I’ve done 17k miles for reference). The wear on the centre and outside edge is normal (still have 4mm of tread) but the inside edges of the front 2 tyres are totally shot.

I have Audi Cam footage... I’m now paying for 2 more tyres and tracking to be checked... An expensive week and it seems like we should not have to pay for tracking if there’s some common underlying issue...

I emailed Pirelli and they have asked for tyres to be sent to them so they can take a look... no doubt I’d end up with the same standard response as others.

Reactions: sve170
I had my car in at Audi where they have checked the tracking, it was all setup/aligned correctly and as such they still cannot work out why this issue has happened, I've now got a new tyre and ill see how long this one lasts, however it is raised as a case within Audi and I will be chasing it up...

Reactions: AudiNutta and sve170
How

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the MMI settings menu ...... taken from the A3 manual so not an option unless retrofitted...

Screenshot 2019 03 05 at 201738

Don't post much but I have been following this thread since the start and it is very strange that some cars are totally unaffected by this issue where as others are seeing it constantly even after alignment checks, my car has just gone through 4000 miles and is booked into Audi for an intermittent door locking issue with the keyless sensor on the passenger door on the 11th of March, I'm going to ask them to check the ware on the front tyres when its in, luckily it would seem I have one of the best dealers out there in Perth Audi so I will report on what they find. One thing that might be worth checking is what the alignment figures look like on cars that aren't effected, I know this might incur costs but it would be a good base line to compare with cars that do have the issue.
Well mines was at Audi today and at 4300 miles no obvious wear issues

I changed my tyres recently at 10,000 mls. No issue with the front tyres. In fact almost perfect wear on all four.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I emailed Pirelli and they have asked for tyres to be sent to them so they can take a look... no doubt I’d end up with the same standard response as others.

It’s not about the standard response, they can’t tell us any different because they don’t know.

But it’s what goes on behind the scenes that matters and this is becoming a VERY high profile case. Every single person that complains and sends their tyres off is make a HUGE difference.

I had my car in at Audi where they have checked the tracking, it was all setup/aligned correctly and as such they still cannot work out why this issue has happened, I've now got a new tyre and ill see how long this one lasts, however it is raised as a case within Audi and I will be chasing it up...

And Pirelli?

It isn’t obvious as such you’ve got to look at that kind of mileage, mine are off the car now having done 6000 miles and whereas you had to look very closely on the car it is now clear as day they are very much on their way to being naffed.

Reactions: 45bvtc
It isn’t obvious as such you’ve got to look at that kind of mileage, mine are off the car now having done 6000 miles and whereas you had to look very closely on the car it is now clear as day they are very much on their way to being naffed.
Yes I had looked myself as I was aware what I was looking for but asked that it also be checked while they had the car for two days replacing the door sensors

Never an issue with the 8P RS3 on either the OEM Continentals or later with the otherwise preferred Michelin Pilot Super Sport (MPSS) tyres in either of the 255/30 or 235/35 size.

That said, I neither have an issue with 235/35 Vredestein Wintrac Xtream :blink:

Someone (Matthew (!)) needs to collate a mileage/wear spreadsheet of issues with these OEM Pirelli tyres and get it forcefully presented to Audi UK and Audi GmbhH as obviously the product supplied is NOT suitable for application; just saying... :sadlike:

I’ve been in the shadows for a few weeks, non stop with work and stuff at home but finally getting back to normal now touch wood.

Car was at Bath Audi this week, no issues found except for acknowledging tyres are worn... I won’t go into detail as to the response I’ve gotten, would be pointless me doing so and rocking the boat.

Anyway last week when cleaning I noticed the one tyre wall had bubbled, f*#% I exclaimed. So that has forced me to remove my fronts prematurely, 6000 miles in. The inside edges were worn quite heavily as before and Pirelli now have the tyres to do what they do best... testing.

Pictures of both my bubble and the wear below

e643da6750fab7f4c098fa4ca0e503eb.jpg

9df18b695d5fdd8a700761c765a6962c.jpg

d124b8c339b851df1505c9864d54cb70.jpg

15040be77fe85be788a68a2a5a4cfe65.jpg

Never an issue with the 8P RS3 on either the OEM Continentals or later with the otherwise preferred Michelin Pilot Super Sport (MPSS) tyres in either of the 255/30 or 235/35 size.

That said, I neither have an issue with 235/35 Vredestein Wintrac Xtream :blink:

Someone (Matthew (!)) needs to collate a mileage/wear spreadsheet of issues with these OEM Pirelli tyres and get it forcefully presented to Audi UK and Audi GmbhH as obviously the product supplied is NOT suitable for application; just saying... :sadlike:

I’ve got a spreadsheet put together John, it lacks mileage but I’m struggling to get those on it so far to reply to what basic information I’ve listed like who they’ve contacted etc... forget mileage haha.

Both Pirelli and Audi have the spreadsheet, Audi just left it in my car when I collected mind you along with my timeline when it went in.

Pirelli really are outstanding with this.

I’ve got a spreadsheet put together John, it lacks mileage but I’m struggling to get those on it so far to reply to what basic information I’ve listed like who they’ve contacted etc... forget mileage haha.

Both Pirelli and Audi have the spreadsheet, Audi just left it in my car when I collected mind you along with my timeline when it went in.

Pirelli really are outstanding with this.

I’m confident it’s not Pirelli at fault. It’s the same Rubber and manufacturing process across the tyre surely. It’s got to be some major issue with the geometry set up.

I’m confident it’s not Pirelli at fault. It’s the same Rubber and manufacturing process across the tyre surely. It’s got to be some major issue with the geometry set up.

I am also on the side that it isn’t Pirelli, but they are the only hope at the moment. The edge of the tyre is chamfered off and if that is reduced, the tyre life will increase. Pirelli could change the edge compound to be a little harder (chances are one in a million for either of these), but I’ve been told to not give up hope and just keep pushing.

Something that struck me was the noise insulation stops in the area where the issues shows up is it to do with heat transfer to the edges of the tyre which is making the rubber at the edge overheat and wear more rapidly along with the camber Audi have set the car to..........just a thought

Leaving tyre pressure and/or alignment aside (I do know of one 2018 RS3 on Pirelli tyres being rigorously checked at Stafford Audi and still suffering these same issues...) my questions:

Question 1) is this inside tyre wear issue reported on Pirelli tyres only?

Question 2) if a tyre from another manufacturer is fitted does the issue remain or is resolved?

Question 3) is the issue UK only or is it being reported elsewhere?

Leaving tyre pressure and/or alignment aside (I do know of one 2018 RS3 on Pirelli tyres being rigorously checked at Stafford Audi and still suffering these same issues...) my questions:

Question 2) if a tyre from another manufacturer is fitted does the issue remain or is resolved?

1) Yes it seems to be an issue reported on Pirelli RO2 fitment tyres already.

2) Michelin’s seem to resolve the issue, but are hit and miss and cause traction issues.

3) It seems to be worldwide but this is mainly a UK community, I saw one post of a blowout somewhere else in the world.

Pirelli UK are currently consulting with other countries.

Audi actually told me to try a non OEM tyre, classic. But when I pointed out that if I went back with another issue down the line, first thing they would point out would be the non OEM tyres and they had to agree with this. The Pirelli tyres seem to be somewhat of an oddball size as pointed out by the Michelin 255’s being too wide. The cars traction systems and Haldex has all been programmed and rigorously tested in conjunction with the rolling circumference of the Pirelli P-Zero RO2’s. Change those and risk other faults...

I’ve been in the shadows for a few weeks, non stop with work and stuff at home but finally getting back to normal now touch wood.

Car was at Bath Audi this week, no issues found except for acknowledging tyres are worn... I won’t go into detail as to the response I’ve gotten, would be pointless me doing so and rocking the boat.

Anyway last week when cleaning I noticed the one tyre wall had bubbled, f*#% I exclaimed. So that has forced me to remove my fronts prematurely, 6000 miles in. The inside edges were worn quite heavily as before and Pirelli now have the tyres to do what they do best... testing.

Pictures of both my bubble and the wear below

e643da6750fab7f4c098fa4ca0e503eb.jpg

9df18b695d5fdd8a700761c765a6962c.jpg

d124b8c339b851df1505c9864d54cb70.jpg

15040be77fe85be788a68a2a5a4cfe65.jpg

I checked mine the other day before going in for service and they looked pretty much like yours, my car has done 12,000 klm. When I mentioned it to the service tech he’s standard response was its a high performance car with a lot of negative camber. I explained thet my last car ram - 2.5 and still even ware.
When I got the car back the report said tyre wear normal and their basic alignment report said all ok.

I’m sure they are fully aware of the the problem but it’s too big a problem to fix so they’ll continue to fob people off until the model is replaced and problem is buried.

I’m going to take some pictures of the tyres now and file along with their report, then take some more pics in a few thousand klm’s and send to Audi. The only problem is I plan to change out my springs soon so that blows my claim as far Audi is concerned.

I checked mine the other day before going in for service and they looked pretty much like yours, my car has done 12,000 klm. When I mentioned it to the service tech he’s standard response was its a high performance car with a lot of negative camber. I explained thet my last car ram - 2.5 and still even ware.
When I got the car back the report said tyre wear normal and their basic alignment report said all ok.

I’m sure they are fully aware of the the problem but it’s too big a problem to fix so they’ll continue to fob people off until the model is replaced and problem is buried.

I’m going to take some pictures of the tyres now and file along with their report, then take some more pics in a few thousand klm’s and send to Audi. The only problem is I plan to change out my springs soon so that blows my claim as far Audi is concerned.

Btw, I’m located in Australia any many others suffer the same wear problem here. Moreover many have repoted that the pirelli s are more easily damaged in pot holes. So all round they seem to be a less resilient tyre.

Btw, I’m located in Australia any many others suffer the same wear problem here. Moreover many have repoted that the pirelli s are more easily damaged in pot holes. So all round they seem to be a less resilient tyre.

Thanks for your input. Audi do seem to be blaming the standard set up of these cars, I got told I should be over the moon with 10k of tyre life and even that 5k would be acceptable on this car.

It would cost a lot to fix and I agree, Audi won’t want to admit it. Audi UK have blatantly said that they don’t know about the issue, when they clearly do and Audi Technical are also now well aware.

The most proactive party in this is Pirelli, who really are trying to do something to fix this it’s just getting big enough numbers and enough evidence to prove it’s required. This issue will be raised in Germany next week in a big meeting with the quality department within Pirelli, fingers crossed. Reporting this is having a positive effect.... just need everyone to do it!

Great news thank you, the more you can send to Audi / Pirelli the better please. Yes if you fit springs Audi absolutely will not want to know, but Pirelli will still be interested.

I’ve seen a few damaged by potholes on here and it took me 16,000 miles to get one... wasn’t pleased. But I haven’t hit a pothole like that in a long while, it looked as if the sidewall on mine was pinched.

Reactions: sve170 and jrumball
Thanks for your input. Audi do seem to be blaming the standard set up of these cars, I got told I should be over the moon with 10k of tyre life and even that 5k would be acceptable on this car.

It would cost a lot to fix and I agree, Audi won’t want to admit it. Audi UK have blatantly said that they don’t know about the issue, when they clearly do and Audi Technical are also now well aware.

The most proactive party in this is Pirelli, who really are trying to do something to fix this it’s just getting big enough numbers and enough evidence to prove it’s required. This issue will be raised in Germany next week in a big meeting with the quality department within Pirelli, fingers crossed. Reporting this is having a positive effect.... just need everyone to do it!

Great news thank you, the more you can send to Audi / Pirelli the better please. Yes if you fit springs Audi absolutely will not want to know, but Pirelli will still be interested.

I’ve seen a few damaged by potholes on here and it took me 16,000 miles to get one... wasn’t pleased. But I haven’t hit a pothole like that in a long while, it looked as if the sidewall on mine was pinched.

Well done for being persistant looking forward to the results of this ..... :thumbs up:

Well done for being persistant looking forward to the results of this ..... :thumbs up:

Not expecting anything fast, could take a long time before there is ever a fix for this if there ever will be but all I can do is try my best.

What’s important is all the necessary parties have been informed and this is becoming a high profile issue within Pirelli. But what’s key is numbers I can’t express enough, Pirelli can’t go back to HQ and say we have an issue.. they will want evidence and a single figure of sets of tyres investigated is just not enough.

Not expecting anything fast, could take a long time before there is ever a fix for this if there ever will be but all I can do is try my best.

What’s important is all the necessary parties have been informed and this is becoming a high profile issue within Pirelli. But what’s key is numbers I can’t express enough, Pirelli can’t go back to HQ and say we have an issue.. they will want evidence and a single figure of sets of tyres investigated is just not enough.

You need to do a spreadsheet Matthew and attack Audi UK and get them to attack Audi GmbH, it was after all Audi GmbH that specified the tyres - not fit for purpose must be the opening salvo - and let Audi UK know your contacting dealers and will be advertising...

Brake squeal fix

Get all owner drivers to provide data. Write to ALL Audi dealers here in the UK and ask of their experience, you know Stafford Audi is dealing with one customer RS3/excessive Pirelli tyre wear - and that that car has been rigorously checked on their alignment jig and found nothing wanting. Hold on to ALL bills for replacement tyres. Once you've a reasonable list contact a suitable weekly motoring magazine as for sure this is a "SAFETY" issue - the inside of the tyre not being readily visible.

And with my automotive engineering hat on I find @ #222 "The Pirelli tyres seem to be somewhat of an oddball size as pointed out by the Michelin 255’s being too wide. The cars traction systems and Haldex has all been programmed and rigorously tested in conjunction with the rolling circumference of the PirelliP-Zero RO2’s. Change those and risk other faults..." very difficult to accept! knowing the 8P RS3 as I do and with the change of wheel rims and tyre configurations I use and them without any tyre wear issue whatsoever.

Oh, and don't forget to copy Andrew Doyle, MD Audi UK @ andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk, for sure he'll be interested if not happily so... Let him know you're doing this! Let him know you're going 'public' as for sure he'll be looking to 'SELL' more and with a HISTORY of low-speed brake squeal, and now excessive 'UN-SAFE' and so 'SAFETY' related tyre wear he may be persuaded to listen.

Andrew

PS: I couldn't 'attack' 'em on low-speed brake-squeal but for sure I'd be at 'em for a SAFETY related issue as this; no one expects an Audi owner to be a tyre expert, that's what you 'purchase' from Audi UK when you lay yer £s down for an Audi RS3!

Last edited:
Reactions: DW81 and D0C
I chased the dealer today and the response back from Audi UK is that this is an isolated case and they are unaware of any other issues.

We need to gather all data from people who have got the issue and make a note to Audi UK, I think ill also be pursuing this via Audi Finance too.

Do we already have some data collected? where can i input my details ?

I believe this was me/my RS3 Saloon.

I have a copy of the tyre receipts and my alignment check.

I chased the dealer today and the response back from Audi UK is that this is an isolated case and they are unaware of any other issues.
We need to gather all data from people who have got the issue and make a note to Audi UK, I think ill also be pursuing this via Audi Finance too.

That's funny but expected and why you NEED to gather information and write to ALL dealers and UK management accordingly; when they know there's a survey in progress they may respond.

An isolated case...
4221.gif

I believe this was me/my RS3 Saloon.

I have a copy of the tyre receipts and my alignment check.

If it is yours then you'll know Stafford Audi found zero issues with your car's alignment - and I for one trust Stafford Audi's expertise and personnel. As my view had been sought, and learning that yours was a car fitted with Pirelli tyres I did then direct the Service Representative to this ASN thread - and she (oops!) found that very interesting - what has been done since I have no knowledge.

I respectfully suggest you pursue the issue with Stafford Audi again alerting them to 'similar' issues - in writing would be best... :readit:

Last edited:
Agreed,

I can't for the life of me understand why you have carried out all this troubleshooting when there are aftermarket parts fitted? I would have thought both Audi and Pirelli insisting the car was at a completely stock setup? Having spacers fitted surely makes all the testing is null and void regardless of what the alignment reports suggest?

Did Pirelli do all this free of charge? Has Audi had your car back and forth free of charge under warranty too? Were they both fully aware there were spacers fitted?

Billy, you have no chance with aftermarket wheels, spacers and PS4's, I wouldn't even bother wasting my time if I had your setup.

Stupid question, so PS4 don’t fit...if so are we stuck with Pirelli only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to deal with Audi UK and Audi Technical back in October 2016 regarding a very serious fault on my daughters new FL S3. The full story and history is on the FL S3 Forum.
Basically they were not interested, incompetent, denied the fault had occurred and the following incident on the car never happened.
The case went on for 4 months with no resolve, the incident was so severe that if my daughter had been going faster there could have been serious injury or death to persons in the car or pedestrians.
Our Audi dealer took the car and impounded it due to the nature of the fault. He kept it for 4 months and in the end we received a complete replacement FL S3.

Believe it or not but the car was sent to Audi UK in Milton Keynes, and they placed it back on the road?
Someone is driving around in a potential death trap, and probably do not know the history of the car.

So take Audi UK & Audi Tech with a pinch of salt. They may sound interested but in reality they are NOT.

You need to do a spreadsheet Matthew and attack Audi UK and get them to attack Audi GmbH, it was after all Audi GmbH that specified the tyres - not fit for purpose must be the opening salvo - and let Audi UK know your contacting dealers and will be advertising...

View attachment 177937

Get all owner drivers to provide data. Write to ALL Audi dealers here in the UK and ask of their experience, you know Stafford Audi is dealing with one customer RS3/excessive Pirelli tyre wear - and that that car has been rigorously checked on their alignment jig and found nothing wanting. Hold on to ALL bills for replacement tyres. Once you've a reasonable list contact a suitable weekly motoring magazine as for sure this is a "SAFETY" issue - the inside of the tyre not being readily visible.

And with my automotive engineering hat on I find @ #222 "The Pirelli tyres seem to be somewhat of an oddball size as pointed out by the Michelin 255’s being too wide. The cars traction systems and Haldex has all been programmed and rigorously tested in conjunction with the rolling circumference of the PirelliP-Zero RO2’s. Change those and risk other faults..." very difficult to accept! knowing the 8P RS3 as I do and with the change of wheel rims and tyre configurations I use and them without any tyre wear issue whatsoever.

Oh, and don't forget to copy Andrew Doyle, MD Audi UK @ andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk, for sure he'll be interested if not happily so... Let him know you're doing this! Let him know you're going 'public' as for sure he'll be looking to 'SELL' more and with a HISTORY of low-speed brake squeal, and now excessive 'UN-SAFE' and so 'SAFETY' related tyre wear he may be persuaded to listen.

View attachment 177939

PS: I couldn't 'attack' 'em on low-speed brake-squeal but for sure I'd be at 'em for a SAFETY related issue as this; no one expects an Audi owner to be a tyre expert, that's what you 'purchase' from Audi UK when you lay yer £s down for an Audi RS3!

Thanks very much for that John, as helpful as ever.

I do have a spreadsheet and I currently have 15 people on there, I can’t see me getting many more off of this forum.

Truth is I don’t have the time to do something like this, but I’m going to do my best. I will get a basic email together to send out to dealers outlining and then one to the CEO, then just inform my case manager what I’m doing when he eventually decides to call me back as scheduled (a week late).

If you get time I’d greatly appreciate a PM from you to guide me on the lines I need to go down to write a half decent email. I will for sure take charge of this as I have already and try to push for a solution.

I like your idea a lot and it isn’t one I had thought of prior to now. Is there an easy way of getting all the relevant email addresses?

It is funny how you come to the same conclusion as me that this is absolutely a safety issue. I contacted the DVSA and they were less than interested, their engineer told me tyres are not a safety issue as the issue can be identified by regular maintenance. I didn’t even bother responding, but a month or so later I’ve received an automated email saying my complaint has passed the review stage and they have asked the manufacturer to comment.

Last edited:

Do we already have some data collected? where can i input my details ?

It’s just disgusting that they can turn around. And say it is an isolated case and one for sure I will be raising when they eventually decide to call back.

Lying through their teeth, gives me absolutely no confidence in Audi UK.

I have the spreadsheet, I will PM you so you can forward your details and I can then add you to it.

Good evening all.
I am new to this forum thing but have been checking up on all FL RS3 stuff in the back ground for many years now but felt the need to share my disappointing tyre experience.
I bought my FL RS3 new in November 2017. It has the staggered setup, 255-30/19 fronts and 235-35/19 rears.
So far I've covered 8,000miles and replaced 6 tyres.
First two fronts failed on inside edge wear at the 1year service @ 6000miles. (This was highlighted by the Audi dealer during the inspection). The rears were at 3.5 and 4mm at this time and going into the winter I decided to replace all four after the alignment was checked and came back as within Audi tolerances. Two months later I discovered a bubble in the offside front and had this replaced, two weeks after that I discovered another in the nearside front.
Currently I have stopped using the RS3 until I have worked out a plan of action....the old R02 circumference thing is another technical issue with the traction control issues with MPS4S.....
Currently considering going to 18's on a 245/40/18 all round on BBS or OZRacing wheels.....not sure...easier to jump in the pickup..
All a load of B*****ks really, I really do feel your pain :-(
Well done to AudiNutta, I couldn't get anywhere without telling them they were idiots, or simple liars and had to walk away. You obviously have the patience of a saint!!

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta, sve170, 45bvtc and 1 other person
If it is yours then you'll know Stafford Audi found zero issues with your car's alignment - and I for one trust Stafford Audi's expertise and personnel. As my view had been sought, and learning that yours was a car fitted with Pirelli tyres I did then direct the Service Representative to this ASN thread - and she (oops!) found that very interesting - what has been done since I have no knowledge.

I respectfully suggest you pursue the issue with Stafford Audi again alerting them to 'similar' issues - in writing would be best... :readit:

Indeed they did find no issues on the alignment.

Its basically case closed by Stafford Audi / Audi UK now as they say there are no other issues they are aware of. My tyre was changed (NSF) I cannot comment on how bad the OSF was as this was replaced the previous week at a local tyre fitters due to having a couple of nails in the tyre, I didn't look at the wear.

Audi UK with a list of people seem to be the logical next step as the dealers/warranty don't seem to acknowledge this as a wider issue.

While not much will probably be done, a centralised incident ID would be good to have and will demonstrate this isn't an isolated issue, as mentioned too, it might also be worth logging with Audi Finance if your car is on any form of finance with them as the car is clearly is not fit for purpose, they should pressure Audi to resolve the issue with the car.

Ben.

Reactions: AudiNutta and 45bvtc
So, decided to lend the car to my mum. For her to call me later that evening telling me not to panic, she’s pulled on to the drive and the cars had a “blow out” Neaside front. She managed to get the alloy off & took it to our local garage. Replacement tyre was fitted. He asked me to return the car once i’d fitted the alloy as was curious to check why it had worn in this way. I also checked offside front & same issue, inside wall on its way out. So I have now ordered another replacement !! The garage said he’s happy to check wheel alignment free off charge. So car is now
off the road until Friday. Here’s a few picture of damage @10,000 miles. Thank god this never occured whilst travelling at speed. 6CF16F6D 7D8A 483F A8CC E691902755A28751AF1C D570 4242 AD1A 8C1F4F6F809E3D886C18 0ADB 4805 8263 3C0A392B3C89Image

This is a SAFETY issue and AUDI UK need to be advised as such!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Callump01