Facelift Pirelli Tyre Defects - Response

I’ve brought 4 brand new pzero tyres a few 1000 miles ago costing over £1000 and both my front tyres have done this !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's very curious. I had thought it was just the FL. I think you are the first PFL owner to have had a problem like this. Certainly my PFL tyres were ok, if looking a bit ragged after 14000 miles!

That's very curious. I had thought it was just the FL. I think you are the first PFL owner to have had a problem like this. Certainly my PFL tyres were ok, if looking a bit ragged after 14000 miles!
My fronts were still going at 31k miles so unusual on a PFL agreed.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

125b129059d79eb9f7e29f024ac5f078.jpg

Don’t get me wrong they are not bad bad but defo signs of wear !!

i wonder if we fitted R01 if we would have the issue on the FL

Something I’ve also thought of, you’d just lose some of the stretched look... got to be worth a try if you are going back to Pirelli and need a full set!

I’ve been PM’ing this owner and it looks as if the issue might lie with the tyre pressures running low once to cause that wear, which explains why it is up the sidewall.

I’ve been PM’ing this owner and it looks as if the issue might lie with the tyre pressures running low once to cause that wear, which explains why it is up the sidewall.

You would need really low tyre pressure to cause this amount of damage

The car also skips when pulling off the drive in the mornings ... best way to describe it is like driving a car with a welded diff or on snow. There is another thread on this and didn’t know if that has contributed to the wear ..? The tyres are now at the correct psi and it still skips.

20psi is plenty once rolling, surely it wouldn't cause that kind of wear?

I wasn’t so sure, thought that would be as good as flat but anyway when you consider we all run 39psi that’s quite a considerable difference.

Reactions: sve170
This is just taking the mickey now, it really is. The more I see the more frustrated I’m getting.

As above, would you please be able to contact Pirelli and Audi using the details I have provided? It will help us all.

I have the same problem here with my tyer it’s only done 1000 miles and its ****** it’s no letting me upload a pic of it but just wounding where I stand

I have the same problem here with my tyer it’s only done 1000 miles and its ****** it’s no letting me upload a pic of it but just wounding where I stand

Same as the rest of us, I can only recommend you contact Pirelli, Audi Customer Services and ask your dealer to raise a complaint with Audi Technical.

Same as the rest of us, I can only recommend you contact Pirelli, Audi Customer Services and ask your dealer to raise a complaint with Audi Technical.
Have you contacted What Car and the like yet mate?

I’ve sent my tyer of to Pirelli and see what they say I’ve not spoken to Audi yet about it I’ll phone them tomorrow it’s on a rs3

Reactions: AudiNutta
Have you contacted What Car and the like yet mate?

I have yes, What Car said they were referring to a writer and would be in touch, DVSA said they were assigning an engineer to the job.

I will chase both this week, now Christmas is over with.

Reactions: jrumball, Splathead, sve170 and 1 other person
I have yes, What Car said they were referring to a writer and would be in touch, DVSA said they were assigning an engineer to the job.

I will chase both this week, now Christmas is over with.
Fantastic. I would be surprised if both did nothing.

Now I’ve bought a set of facelift staggered setup wheels for my pre facelift with Pirelli R02’s fitted I wonder if I suffer the same fate as the facelift car in regards to tyre wear.
I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on them.

Now I’ve bought a set of facelift staggered setup wheels for my pre facelift with Pirelli R02’s fitted I wonder if I suffer the same fate as the facelift car in regards to tyre wear.
I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on them.

Been following this topic for a while now and have some info to report.

I am always checking my front tyres looking for the signs of the uneven wear as per the posts on here, without actually taking the wheels off, and tbh I could never find any of the issues found on here.

So my FL RS3 has just hit the 10,000 miles, was registered in mid April 2018. Its driven daily by my wife, mainly short journeys in our city, a mixture of residential roads and dual carriageways. But at weekends it’s usually longer journey (300 mile round trip) at higher speeds, motorway, country roads, a mixture of good and poor surfaces etc, it’s never let us down once.

Having checked the tyres again decided it’s time to replace all four (am on the staggered set-up) mainly due to the feeling that the traction was just not good anymore, still a decent amount of tread on all four tyres but with the winter weather, snow, frost, ice now with us it was time to swap them out.

Changeover was done at local Audi main dealer, I specifically needed to see the front tyres off the car to get a good check on the wear patterns, and especially the inner edges.

The fronts were taken off and the wear has been amazing in a good way.
There was NOT a single sign of any wear on the inner edges, absolutely nothing.
Also the tread wear across ALL FOUR tyres was amazing, literally even wear across all four tyres, absolutely no signs for concern.

The car is the same set-up since factory, have never had alignment checked, never really needed to, never had any handling issues either.

My RS has been sitting on the Pirelli P Zero R02 tyres.

Maybe I have just got lucky, why have so many in here been hit with terrible wear, but mine has none? Strange.

Been following this topic for a while now and have some info to report.

I am always checking my front tyres looking for the signs of the uneven wear as per the posts on here, without actually taking the wheels off, and tbh I could never find any of the issues found on here.

So my FL RS3 has just hit the 10,000 miles, was registered in mid April 2018. Its driven daily by my wife, mainly short journeys in our city, a mixture of residential roads and dual carriageways. But at weekends it’s usually longer journey (300 mile round trip) at higher speeds, motorway, country roads, a mixture of good and poor surfaces etc, it’s never let us down once.

Having checked the tyres again decided it’s time to replace all four (am on the staggered set-up) mainly due to the feeling that the traction was just not good anymore, still a decent amount of tread on all four tyres but with the winter weather, snow, frost, ice now with us it was time to swap them out.

Changeover was done at local Audi main dealer, I specifically needed to see the front tyres off the car to get a good check on the wear patterns, and especially the inner edges.

The fronts were taken off and the wear has been amazing in a good way.
There was NOT a single sign of any wear on the inner edges, absolutely nothing.
Also the tread wear across ALL FOUR tyres was amazing, literally even wear across all four tyres, absolutely no signs for concern.

The car is the same set-up since factory, have never had alignment checked, never really needed to, never had any handling issues either.

My RS has been sitting on the Pirelli P Zero R02 tyres.

Maybe I have just got lucky, why have so many in here been hit with terrible wear, but mine has none? Strange.

Have you got mag ride?

Could just be a dodgy batch of tyres in all honesty, that’s effected some cars

Yes, be worth getting the owners with this issue to post on here when their RS was built/delivered.
Might narrow it down a bit.

Yes, be worth getting the owners with this issue to post on here when their RS was built/delivered.
Might narrow it down a bit.

Mine is a saloon and delivered in Nov 2017. Was suffering from inner tyre wear but increased pressures to max sticker and wear is now normal. Swapped front to rear to even out wear.

My car was built in the same week as the OP - @AudiNutta and the tyres are fine so far. The car is exactly as it left the factory - no mods, no alignment checks, etc. Just fueled, washed and driven.

Reactions: AudiNutta and sve170
Mine is a saloon and delivered in Nov 2017. Was suffering from inner tyre wear but increased pressures to max sticker and wear is now normal. Swapped front to rear to even out wear.

My tyre pressures are at the high end of the sticker as well, mainly due to usually three adults in car, not all the time but around 70% of the time.

My tyre pressures are 32, 23, 39, 18psi. No uneven wear ;)

I've had no uneven wear since switching to the MPS4S. Running slightly higher pressures at 41 front, 39 rear.

Bizarre how only some people are experiencing the excessive wear on the Pirellis.

My tyre pressures are 32, 23, 39, 18psi. No uneven wear ;)

Sweet, I’ve just changed mine to match, hopefully they’ll wear better now :icon thumright:

Reactions: AudiNutta and D0C
Is that 18psi a typo?
All four tyres different?

I'm only kidding. But I never check my tyre pressures. Had the car over a year now. Obviously if they look flat or TPMS warns me I would do something. But people debating between 36 or 38 psi are probably over thinking it.

Reactions: NevMan

Nope because I’ve got my second set on, 5000 miles in and there is a nasty ridge and the inner edge is falling away rapidly!!

Nope because I’ve got my second set on, 5000 miles in and there is a nasty ridge and the inner edge is falling away rapidly!!
Not good must be your cars camber alignment then mate as other cars don’t seem to be suffering