1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift Pirelli Tyre Defects - Response

AudiNutta Dec 2, 2018

1. JackQuint

JackQuint Registered User

Not that I've noticed but the car just got out of the break-in period this past weekend so I haven't been all that aggressive with it yet. That gives me a bit of time before I have to worry about it.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. FBF01

FBF01 Registered User

Had a flat tyre last week, turned out it was due to the tyre being shredded to **** on the inside wall after 10k miles. Garage at time made no mention of the other 3 tyres. Car was in for a full service, haldex service, new front and rear pads today...informed the front drivers side has 4.4mm left of tread but it’s cut to sh*t as well. Rears have 3mm left. Be Michelin all round or Goodyear’s shortly.

4. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Don’t you check your tyres at all ?

A simple lock to lock viewing and you can see the inner edges.

5. FBF01

FBF01 Registered User

right on the inner edge and truth be said couldn’t see anything, amazed the other garage had missed it also, however having seen the tyre myself when taken off, amazed it was missed!!! Said when up on ramp and spinning the wheel that they saw it.

6. Daniel Knight

Daniel Knight Registered User

I think I've commented on this thread once already but I have now gone through 10 front tyres in 18 months.

Each time I buy a new tyre I rage a little inside but I've just learned to expect it now. For extra context I have done 45,000 miles in my car.

FBF01 likes this.
  7. infernox

infernox Registered User

I couldn't see mine when I did lock to lock viewing but I could feel it by doing that.

8. Slowracer

Slowracer Registered User

I did check mine regularly as I was aware of the problem. However the problem is they go from showing a slight wear mark on the edge to showing the chords very quickly. So it’s easy to get caught out. My mechanic alerted me to the chords showing when he was doing some suspension work, when I looked a few weeks beforehand they were marked but ok.

FBF01 likes this.
  9. Callump01

Callump01 Registered User

Wrong. Couldn't see the insides on mine when I did this.

10. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Depends how hard you look.

Dan_DJT likes this.
  11. ollie2013uk

ollie2013uk Active Member VCDS Map User

My RS3 had done 75 miles and I noticed a wobble over 70mph, took it to Audi and they replaced the front tyres under warranty. They were incredibly misshaped. They too were Pirelli. This was a month ago.

infernox and sve170 like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. sve170

sve170 Registered User

Agree, lock to lock does not allow you to see inside edge of tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infernox and Callump01 like this.
  14. infernox

infernox Registered User

Wow that's very early. Good they changed it under warranty at least.

15. Splathead

Splathead Registered User

First service today (9100 miles) and the dealer failed to spot the wear on the inside of the front tyres - they just reported 5mm and wearing evenly across the surface. :nomouth:

sve170 and AudiNutta like this.
  16. EVO855

EVO855 Guest

Sorry to post this but a friend of mine disagrees.

Full lock bend down and look inside.

[​IMG]

17. FBF01

FBF01 Registered User

hmmmmmm...I’ve had a wobble also. Ever so slight. Unsure if I’m imagining it. Had two new front tyres. Unsure if maybe wheel weights are off and not balanced correctly?

18. Splathead

Splathead Registered User

Screenshot_20191121-223013.jpg
    Just noticed the chamfering on the inside edge on the Audicam report. (sorry about the poor resolution)

19. Will Howarth

Will Howarth Registered User

Ive been lurking around here since ordering my car a couple of years ago and just signed up.My car is a 2018 RS3 Facelift with mag ride and staggered wheels and has done 13k miles.Predominantly used by my wife and rarely driven in anger(probably 80 per cent of its miles have been on 30mph roads!)my car is in for its first service today at the local Audi dealer and,like many others have experienced here,the front tyres are worn to the cords on the inside-despite the tread depth across the contact area being fine.Is it still worth retaining the old tyres and informing Pirelli?My Audi centre want £280 per tyre to replace and black circles are around £225.Any other good offers on at the moment. Will

infernox and sve170 like this.
  20. martin lo

martin lo Registered User

Kwikfit had them around £200 with 10% off that with code PIRELLI10 if its still valid...

21. Will Howarth

I’ve got the car back now and had a chance to have a look at the tyres.The contact area tread is around 4mm with the cords just starting to become exposed on the inner walls of the inside edges-hard to see unless at full lock.On the one hand it’s a good job that they have been seen but frustrating that two half worn tyres have to be replaced at a cost of £450!

22. sve170

sve170 Registered User

Challenge the dealer on that price, even more so if you bought your RS from them.
    My Audi dealer does my tyres at cost price, so worth speaking to them, forget the Service advisors, ask to see the Service Manager and if ask if he drops the price to a reasonable level you will buy them.

23. Will Howarth

I’ve ordered 2 new tyres off blackcircles in the end.Kwik Fit were slightly cheaper but I’m still traumatised from the last time I went there when they damaged a 2 week old Mercedes wheel I took to have a puncture repaired.The local garage blackcircles use are great and I’m confident they will keep my wheels like new.I use my local Audi garage for the least I have to after having bad experiences there too over the years.

Attached Files:

24. evil_scooby

evil_scooby Registered User

It is a shame. I got 25k out my rears and they still had 4mm across all parts, but again 2nd set of pirellos at front already well worn down at edges.
    I jumped to Michelin all round now like a lots of others . Better and cheaper

Still frustrated as per others posts above about having to change tyres so quickly especially with most of the tyre having plenty of tred

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

infernox likes this.
  25. craigpanthercrystal

craigpanthercrystal Registered User

Not an RS3 - SORRY but on my S3 using P Zero 235/35/19 I have just changed my RO1s after 20K with no unusual wear to RO2's done about 2K on the RO2s so far with no issues to report so far. Prob early days but will post updates if they are relevant, BTW it is lowered on Eiback Sportlines with a slight aggressive camber

26. Liz

Liz Registered User

Hi Matt, just found your post from 2018 and the following discussions, after googling this exact issue. Just had my first service on 2019 RS3, only 11k carefully driven miles, tread on tyres only 30 % worn. Inner edges ripped through to the canvas and cuts on the walls and treads down to cord.
    Can you let me know the latest on this issue please and where you got to in the end. Currently putting together complaint to dealership and direct to Audi, my initial thoughts before finding your post was sub standard tyres (perhaps Audi brought a job lot to go on the RS3), so was going to throw it back to Audi for supplying the car with sub-standard tyres. Dealership tried to fob me off (being a women) and telling me caused due to slightly low pressure in the tyres and them being low profile. Didn't buy it, check alignment, tracking and pressure often as aware what affect it can have on tyre wear. I've owned plenty of cars with hard suspension and low profile tyres, never experienced this. Be interested to know what happened. Thanks for doing the post.

27. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Registered User

As far as I am aware (I don't have an Audi but follow the forum) recommendation is to contact Pirelli and they will collect the tyres and have them checked.
    It may be a good idea to try the Audi supplying duff tyres as well .

28. rdj

rdj Registered User

Liz - although this thread has gone a bit cold I would recommend you keep hold of the tyres. Once Matt has a chance to respond (or you can send him a PM) I'm sure he'll give you his contact at Pirelli who were looking into the issue. They will collect the tyres for testing - perhaps they are looking at the affect the RS3 geometry has on the construction of the tyres (which is where the issue lies in my personal view), but no-one is sure...
    Despite this hope you're enjoying the RS!

29. NBS

NBS Registered User

30. NBS

NBS Registered User

I have this problem, so looking for any update on the situation. Booked into Audi next week for alignment check. I cannot believe that apparently so many people have been affected and no explanation or solution. Is it just some cars or all cars and the issue goes unnoticed? This is a highly dangerous situation especially with the long service periods nowdays. Did I read here one owner had 10 pairs of tyres in 18months!!

31. Riko0073

Riko0073 Registered User

Worrying indeed!

Might change my tyres now at 5,000 miles to either MPS or Assy 5’s and just store the Pirelli’s for when I sell/hand back the car still with decent tread.

32. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Zero issues here with the OEM Pirelli’s Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports / Pirelli SottoZero winter tyres.

sve170, DW81, Riko0073 and 1 other person like this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. NBS

NBS Registered User

What age is the car?

sve170 likes this.
  35. D0C

D0C Registered User

This was on a TTRS, 67 plate.

36. sve170

sve170 Registered User

I am into my 2nd FL RS3 and at the moment no issues at all with the Pirelli’s.
    I do though have the recommended tyre pressures set at the highest psi as per the info on the drivers door regardless of how many people are in the car.

I am sure there is a post on this forum recommending all of us to increase our pressures to max and monitor the tyre wear.

Dan_DJT and Riko0073 like this.
  37. NBS

NBS Registered User

Question - is it just the 255/30/19 that have this problem or do those running 235/35 /19 also suffer? I ask because I just tried the Configurator for a new RS3 and there does not seem to be an option for the staggered set up. Next question, as this was the reason I was looking at the Configurator, are the wheels the same width (8J) on the staggered set up or are the fronts 81/2J?

38. martin lo

martin lo Registered User

upload_2020-1-13_16-41-13.png

Screenshot shows the sport edition with 8.5J front and the "normal" 8J...

39. NBS

NBS Registered User

Thanks for that - I wasn't expecting to find wheels under "trim"!

40. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

I was told by an Audi sport day expert to run tyres at their top pressure on the sticker.

When I first fitted the Goodyear F1 Supersport tyres last year they looked like they were starting to wear on the inside, I spoke to GY technical about this and they too said to raise the pressures in them.
    Had no issues after that and I check em all the time by the lock to lock method.

41. terminator x

terminator x Registered User

Are you an upgrade to @T-800 :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

T-1000 likes this.
  42. D0C

D0C Registered User

**** it, I’m renaming myself to T-10000!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
    T-1000 and terminator x like this.
  43. deepy

deepy Registered User

Have covered 7500 miles on my staggered setup and have used the max pressures since day 1, which are showing even wear across the surface. Perhaps its still early days (not sure why the image isn't being shown)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    sve170 and T-1000 like this.