Pioneer CarPlay Headunit, has anyone got one fitted yet?

Hey hey, just got one fitted in my car, 3 weeks ago. Since then, no more sound coming from the rear speaker of the car. There is also a constant buzz in the tweater from the rear doors...

I’m about to solve the problem, I hope, but it has been a nightmare since that day... love the new Pionneer though...

Pionneer AVH-2300 NEX in my Audi A3 8P 2012 Quattro s-line with half OEM amplified (Rear speakers plus subb only).

Since I’m from Canada, I’ve never heard of connect2 harness before coming on this forum. I used the iDataLINK harness and Maestro Rr module as suggested by Pionneer to unlock special features with the OBD2. This is amazing, would recommend and the CarPlay is awesome too. A droid auto works perfectly too and you can even connect couple of phones on the headunit at the same time. Everything is perfect with the Pionneer. There is only the harness / rear sound problem.

I’m about tu plug another alpine V12 amp that I have here and remplace the OEM bose amp that doesn’t work fine for me.

Here is the threat talking about my problem: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...quattro-pionneer-avh-2300-nex-harness.367595/

There is more information...

Is anyone can help me? Is it the only way to get full sound to go with the connect2 harness?

Attachments

• 86317D52-F661-444B-A5C1-C279860D1630.jpeg
    86317D52-F661-444B-A5C1-C279860D1630.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 2,395
Hey hey, just got one fitted in my car, 3 weeks ago. Since then, no more sound coming from the rear speaker of the car. There is also a constant buzz in the tweater from the rear doors...

I’m about to solve the problem, I hope, but it has been a nightmare since that day... love the new Pionneer though...

Pionneer AVH-2300 NEX in my Audi A3 8P 2012 Quattro s-line with half OEM amplified (Rear speakers plus subb only).

Since I’m from Canada, I’ve never heard of connect2 harness before coming on this forum. I used the iDataLINK harness and Maestro Rr module as suggested by Pionneer to unlock special features with the OBD2. This is amazing, would recommend and the CarPlay is awesome too. A droid auto works perfectly too and you can even connect couple of phones on the headunit at the same time. Everything is perfect with the Pionneer. There is only the harness / rear sound problem.

I’m about tu plug another alpine V12 amp that I have here and remplace the OEM bose amp that doesn’t work fine for me.

Here is the threat talking about my problem: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...quattro-pionneer-avh-2300-nex-harness.367595/

Is anyone can help me? Is it the only way to get full sound to go with the connect2 harness?

I’m afraid I can’t help you with your current predicament but wanted to ask where did you get the head unit facia from please? Most I’ve seen doesn’t fit 3rd party head units flush like yours.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with your current predicament but wanted to ask where did you get the head unit facia from please? Most I’ve seen doesn’t fit 3rd party head units flush like yours.

Hey!!
That is a METRA 99-9109B (Audi A3 06-13).
I've bought it at the store where I made my headunit swap.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-9109B

Hope that will help ;)

Reactions: maxpayne
Hi there, I'm looking for some help RE: Antenna signal for my Pioneer SPH-DA 120 HU. I have purchased all the relevant connectors and harnesses but still getting extremely poor radio signal when I'm not in an urban area (and even then it's still bad).

Any help much appreciated.

When I fitted mine, the installers fitted the wrong antenna adaptor. It absolutely needs to be a twin fakra or the signal reception is rubbish. Check and makes sure that you are using this one 'Connects2 CT27AA87 - Universal Twin Fakra to DIN Antenna Adaptor' or the latest equivalent.

If you have got this one and the signal is still poor then it may need someone more technical than me to help.

I have a twin fakra connection and still not the best. I have a feeling it's down to the connection of the blue AMP ON connectors. Not sure exactly the solution. Have spent a bit of money on harnesses etc at this stage and would like to get a resolution. Can post pictures if that helps also.

JVC and Kenwood have also introduced similar (touch control/no physical buttons) HUs this year too:
JVC KW-M745DBT
and Kenwood DMX7018DABS.
In all likelihood the JVC and Kenwood units are probably the same given both are owned by the same company.

Personally I'm still waiting for Sony to bring to the XAV-AX5000 UK. I really like the industrial design and the simplified UI.

I just got the pioneer sph-da230dab installed in my A3. Works a treat but steering wheel controls is an issue. I can only use the volume button. Nothing else works.

I got the steering wheel controls from dynamic sounds, the connects2 one. View attachment 146819

Did you ever find a solution to this? I've also just had the exact same headunit fitted using the same cable, and the steering wheel control workings are the volume buttons. I thought mode button... would cycle between DAB,FM,Carplay etc.

I had the SPH-DA120 since march, but in June one of the USB input failed. Halfords advised they were no longer stocking the unit but were happy for me to pay the difference to upgrade to the new SPH DA230DAB. That unit has been in since then and i have to say I am over the moon with it. DAB radio is the way forward :)
my only issue is the connects 2 wiring for BOSE (on both the new and the older units) I get the most annoying pop through the speakers when i first pull away like a bad earth somewhere. I've taped all unused connections out of the way and the earths for handbrake and DAB aerial seem to be good, so i think its a dodgy wire somewhere. ...Guess ill be stripping it all back out again :-(

Other than that though, the unit is a good bit of kit for the price.

RE: steering controls, the volume and track up and down works but mode and hands free dont. Those functions appear to be limited to the original units.
But at the end of the day, 'Hey Siri' Works just lovely so dont really use them anyway!

I had the SPH-DA120 since march, but in June one of the USB input failed. Halfords advised they were no longer stocking the unit but were happy for me to pay the difference to upgrade to the new SPH DA230DAB. That unit has been in since then and i have to say I am over the moon with it. DAB radio is the way forward :)
my only issue is the connects 2 wiring for BOSE (on both the new and the older units) I get the most annoying pop through the speakers when i first pull away like a bad earth somewhere. I've taped all unused connections out of the way and the earths for handbrake and DAB aerial seem to be good, so i think its a dodgy wire somewhere. ...Guess ill be stripping it all back out again :-(

Other than that though, the unit is a good bit of kit for the price.

RE: steering controls, the volume and track up and down works but mode and hands free dont. Those functions appear to be limited to the original units.
But at the end of the day, 'Hey Siri' Works just lovely so dont really use them anyway!

I also get the popping occasionally when starting the car, but it hasn't happened at all when actually driving so hasn't bothered me to much.

I'm currently getting a really annoying issue with my SPH-DA230 though. When ever I connect carplay to use maps, my iphone will lose bluetooth connection to the pioneer unit & mic. So I lose 90% of the functionality of having car play, as I can't dictate to siri, or make calls as no one can hear me...
(Siri works when I press the button, however when I talk it just doesn't hear any input & people can't hear me on calls)

Yet as soon as I unplug my phone from the usb cable. The bluetooth will connect and the mic will work for a handsfree call through the pioneer software itself. I've tried connecting to bluetooth manually whilst the phone is plugged in. But it just comes up with an error saying it can't connect...

Don't suppose anyone has come across this?

So I fitted the SPH-DA130DAB over the weekend. So far so good, really impressed with the sound quality and speed of the unit.

I have however a couple of issues:

The mode button in the steering wheel doesn’t do anything. If anyone has the mode button working with a Connects2 harness, I’d be interested to know.

More importantly, I can’t seem to upgrade the firmware!

Seems that the HU thinks it’s not parked, hence the issue.

Do I have to ground the parking wire or something like that?

Cheers.

Here’s a photo of my new setup.

5ccd4aa243f5a67ecebdd0da49080513.jpg

Some more details on the actual unit and operation.

INPUTS:
Supported inputs are CarPlay (obviously), Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, DAB+, FM/MW, Aux, USB, iPod - basically everything you’ll need. No need to buy additional dongles like the Chinese Android units.

SPOTIFY/CARPLAY:
The Spotify and CarPlay integration is especially nice. When I go to the car with my iPhone the HU will automatically connect to Spotify (via Bluetooth). If I switch to CarPlay by connecting the USB cable and then switch to Spotify in CarPlay, the handover happens seamlessly with no pause or interruption.

If I’m listening to DAB and someone sends me a message, the notification will pop up in the HU screen just like a phone and clicking that would automatically take me to messages and switch to CarPlay. Quite clearly it’s a well thought out design.

Really the only practical annoyance is attaching the USB cable for CarPlay and wish I had the budget to fork out on a wireless CarPlay unit. For those who can it’s a no brainier.

SOUND:
This is where I had my mind blown. Having always used Audi Concert unit in the car, I had no clue that sound quality could be this good from a in car system. Just some tweaking (and you are spoilt for choices) required.
The unit supports not just an advanced EQ, but other settings like loudness, bass depth, time alignment, fader, individual/front/back speaker controls just to name a few.

This gives me confidence that with some additional sound deadening, I’ll get a fantastic setup just using the stock speakers, no need for upgrades (but that surely will make it even better).

SWC:
The steering wheel control as mentioned elsewhere is okay. In radio/Spotify mode the left side scroll wheel will change between stations/tracks. Volume up/down using the right side scroll wheel also works. And so does mute when the scroll wheel is pressed down.

If someone calls and you’re connected via Bluetooth/CarPlay incoming calls can be answered by pressing the voice button on the right and the call can be hung up with a double tap.

The only thing that doesn’t work is the mode button on the left side. Would’ve been nice if it switched between the sources or did something contextual.

BLUETOOTH:
Great integration as usual from Pioneer using technology from Parrot. Two phones are supported simultaneously but I have yet to test out all the use cases. The supplied microphone is surprisingly good. I had it routed to the front dome light and by all means the call quality is spot on.

DAB+:
This was a bonus. To be honest I’m more a streaming guy than a radio guy. The unit doesn’t come with a DAB antenna and having read multiple posts on how DAB reception is bad unless a shark fin antenna is fitted convinced me that it was a lost cause. But someone else pointed me to this gem of a little DAB antenna (can’t link to Amazon for some reason) from Toiot for around £9 changed everything. I didn’t have to mount this on the windshield (yuk) but inside the A pillar trim and now I’m getting stations that I didn’t know even existed! Or the signal in London is good. Either way I’m not complaining.

cbff432422b25e4954da3a696f96dc5e.jpg

That’s it for now. Happy to answer any questions on the new setup.

Some more details on the actual unit and operation.

INPUTS:
Supported inputs are CarPlay (obviously), Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, DAB+, FM/MW, Aux, USB, iPod - basically everything you’ll need. No need to buy additional dongles like the Chinese Android units.

SPOTIFY/CARPLAY:
The Spotify and CarPlay integration is especially nice. When I go to the car with my iPhone the HU will automatically connect to Spotify (via Bluetooth). If I switch to CarPlay by connecting the USB cable and then switch to Spotify in CarPlay, the handover happens seamlessly with no pause or interruption.

If I’m listening to DAB and someone sends me a message, the notification will pop up in the HU screen just like a phone and clicking that would automatically take me to messages and switch to CarPlay. Quite clearly it’s a well thought out design.

Really the only practical annoyance is attaching the USB cable for CarPlay and wish I had the budget to fork out on a wireless CarPlay unit. For those who can it’s a no brainier.

SOUND:
This is where I had my mind blown. Having always used Audi Concert unit in the car, I had no clue that sound quality could be this good from a in car system. Just some tweaking (and you are spoilt for choices) required.
The unit supports not just an advanced EQ, but other settings like loudness, bass depth, time alignment, fader, individual/front/back speaker controls just to name a few.

This gives me confidence that with some additional sound deadening, I’ll get a fantastic setup just using the stock speakers, no need for upgrades (but that surely will make it even better).

SWC:
The steering wheel control as mentioned elsewhere is okay. In radio/Spotify mode the left side scroll wheel will change between stations/tracks. Volume up/down using the right side scroll wheel also works. And so does mute when the scroll wheel is pressed down.

If someone calls and you’re connected via Bluetooth/CarPlay incoming calls can be answered by pressing the voice button on the right and the call can be hung up with a double tap.

The only thing that doesn’t work is the mode button on the left side. Would’ve been nice if it switched between the sources or did something contextual.

BLUETOOTH:
Great integration as usual from Pioneer using technology from Parrot. Two phones are supported simultaneously but I have yet to test out all the use cases. The supplied microphone is surprisingly good. I had it routed to the front dome light and by all means the call quality is spot on.

DAB+:
This was a bonus. To be honest I’m more a streaming guy than a radio guy. The unit doesn’t come with a DAB antenna and having read multiple posts on how DAB reception is bad unless a shark fin antenna is fitted convinced me that it was a lost cause. But someone else pointed me to this gem of a little DAB antenna (can’t link to Amazon for some reason) from Toiot for around £9 changed everything. I didn’t have to mount this on the windshield (yuk) but inside the A pillar trim and now I’m getting stations that I didn’t know even existed! Or the signal in London is good. Either way I’m not complaining.

cbff432422b25e4954da3a696f96dc5e.jpg

That’s it for now. Happy to answer any questions on the new setup.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much has it cost you in total now it’s all finished?
I’m interested to know as I do have one of the Chinese android units.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much has it cost you in total now it’s all finished?
I’m interested to know as I do have one of the Chinese android units.

Not at all.

The unit: £223 (lucky eBay deal)
Connects2 adapter (CTSAD00C.2): £35
Connects2 fascia kit (CT23AU08): £35
Autoleads FM adapter (PC5-90): 2.79
Toiot DAB antenna: £8.69
Total: £304.48

Not at all.

The unit: £223 (lucky eBay deal)
Connects2 adapter (CTSAD00C.2): £35
Connects2 fascia kit (CT23AU08): £35
Autoleads FM adapter (PC5-90): 2.79
Toiot DAB antenna: £8.69
Total: £304.48

That’s a lot less than I thought you were going to say.
Pros and cons to both setups I guess.
Build quality and sound quality I imagine will be better than my setup.
Whereas with mine I prefer that mine fits straight in the dash and doesn’t need a facia and also I can do everything you can do but I don’t need the usb cable.
I’d be well happy with that price though if I were you. About the same price spent as me but you’ve got a good brand that’s a good quality.

With the dab signal you’re just lucky that you’re in London as it will be a good signal in London. If I had that dab setup in my car in Yorkshire it wouldn’t be nowhere near good enough. I used to have the antenna that sticks to the windscreen but it would only ever work reliably if I ever went into Sheffield.

That’s a lot less than I thought you were going to say.
Pros and cons to both setups I guess.
Build quality and sound quality I imagine will be better than my setup.
Whereas with mine I prefer that mine fits straight in the dash and doesn’t need a facia and also I can do everything you can do but I don’t need the usb cable.
I’d be well happy with that price though if I were you. About the same price spent as me but you’ve got a good brand that’s a good quality.

With the dab signal you’re just lucky that you’re in London as it will be a good signal in London. If I had that dab setup in my car in Yorkshire it wouldn’t be nowhere near good enough. I used to have the antenna that sticks to the windscreen but it would only ever work reliably if I ever went into Sheffield.

Indeed. Both choices involve tradeoffs.

I actually ordered the Xtrons unit last year and returned it immediately because the sound quality was terrible and the cheap plasticky look just wasn’t for me. But it certainly had more flexibility with Android and WiFi and a higher resolution screen.

Hey does you Pioneer flip out from the bottom to show the DVD drive?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting my wife a Pioneer SPH DA120 for her Audi TT Mk2 as she currently only has the standard unit that come with the car. She has the bose speakers etc.

I've tried Autodab in it with the windscreen aerial but to be honest its a bit naff and never works properly or gets a decent signal.

Can anyone please advise what i need other than the actual unit itself? like do i need any new wiring harness? new aerial? new facia?

Also, her main need so she tells me is to be able to mirror her phone on the unit as she travels alot with work so likes to use google navigation which would be helpful on a screen rather than a small phone. She also would like to have decent DAB or the ability to play her own playlists/music with minimal fuss. Will this unit do that for her? I'm aware the phone has to be plugged in? unlike the newer 230 version? is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Here’s a photo of my new setup.

5ccd4aa243f5a67ecebdd0da49080513.jpg
Hi, I have just had this stereo fitted by Halfords but the facia doesn’t look anywhere as neat as yours so I might change it, where did you get yours and what’s the part number?
Also Halfords neglected to connect a dab arial so need to get that sorted too.
Thanks in advance JL68

Hi, I have just had this stereo fitted by Halfords but the facia doesn’t look anywhere as neat as yours so I might change it, where did you get yours and what’s the part number?
Also Halfords neglected to connect a dab arial so need to get that sorted too.
Thanks in advance JL68

If you scroll up just a few threads you’ll see my post detailing all the parts.