Pioneer CarPlay Headunit, has anyone got one fitted yet?

Looking at the manual for CTSAD002.2, yes, the blue wire on the harness needs to be connected to the blue wire from HU and Radio aerial: http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/c2/files/InstallationGuides/CTSAD002.2.pdf This will allow the speaker amp to power up.

The other wires are as follows:

Pink - speed pulse (probalby for use by Gala? or whatever, which adjusts HU volume as you speed up ot allow for road noise)
Green - park brake (no need to do anything with this one - we already 'fixed' that :) )
Purple - reverse (used to switch to reverse camera if installed, I guess)

Great, so I'm going to get a bullet connector for the blue wire, plug that into to the loose blue/white remote from the HU.

Next need to work out where to stick the GPS antenna. Not sure if I'd rather it not be visible and stick it on the underside of the dash. Means I don't have to run the cable. Did you say you read that's not too successful.

I also have to run the microphone cable, not sure whether to have that behind the steering wheel or somewhere near the rear view mirror. Behind the steering wheel maybe a bit of a pain as will have to take certain panels off. What do you think?

GPS signal will suffer if the aerial is mounted under the dash. Worked for some, not so much for others. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

I mounted the mic high up, in the middle. Very easy and you can get away with not ripping out any trim, except for glove box. Just tuck the wire in with a credit card or something. Mounting it lower down will add more noise and affect sound quality.

Great, so I'm going to get a bullet connector for the blue wire, plug that into to the loose blue/white remote from the HU.

Next need to work out where to stick the GPS antenna. Not sure if I'd rather it not be visible and stick it on the underside of the dash. Means I don't have to run the cable. Did you say you read that's not too successful.

I also have to run the microphone cable, not sure whether to have that behind the steering wheel or somewhere near the rear view mirror. Behind the steering wheel maybe a bit of a pain as will have to take certain panels off. What do you think?

I ran the GPS wire from the HU, under the steering wheel and using the right side fuse box i poked a wire through to the windscreen and pulled the GPS cable in there. So my GPS antenna sits in the right corner by the windscreen, it doesnt look too bad and if you dont know what it is cant really tell anyway.

As for the mic I clipped it in the headlining above the rear view mirror and just poked the wire down the left side along with the power wire for my dashcam so they are nicely hidden...

I do have one question, however.

I have bought a rear reversing camera as my recent sub install has broken my parking sensors :(

Where do i wire in the HU reverse signal? I could run a wire to the back and take signal from parking sensors or the reverse light but i hear you can also get signal somewhere from the gearbox?

Thanks guys. I have a convertible. So not sure if I will be able to wire to the rear view mirror, I'll need to have a look later.

As for the GPS will be safe and try and mount on the dash.

car audio direct forgot to send the release keys.... So will need to source some or leave this till next week.

Thanks guys. I have a convertible. So not sure if I will be able to wire to the rear view mirror, I'll need to have a look later.

As for the GPS will be safe and try and mount on the dash.

car audio direct forgot to send the release keys.... So will need to source some or leave this till next week.

Ah, looking at your profile pic, not sure what year your A4 is, but be aware that you may need to get an accessory power feed wired from the fuse box to get the stereo to power on/off when you insert the ignition key. These units don't have a power button and rely on the ignition key for that.

This might help - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-feed-for-stereo-upgrade.235498/#post-2355256

I have bought a rear reversing camera as my recent sub install has broken my parking sensors :(

Where do i wire in the HU reverse signal? I could run a wire to the back and take signal from parking sensors or the reverse light but i hear you can also get signal somewhere from the gearbox?

Never did this myself, but some of the retrofitters on this forum may be able to help. @NHN or @Ash187 probably have a good idea.

Reactions: shadow1993
It's 2008, that might be a step too far. Can't rememebr the last time I sat in the car with the radio running. Maybe at the petrol station...

I thought the CAN bus would deal with that. Will see, and let everyone know

Reactions: leshkin
How much do the lads in the know charge to fit one of these?

Hello boys, loads of questions posted...
so HU reverse signal should already be there if you used the connects2 cables, just connect up the purple and white wire on the harness and thats that.
Other thing you could do is connect the purple wire to the camera signal wire but then you would need to run a cable all the way back to the camera again.

PM me for prices for retrofits.

Hello boys, loads of questions posted...
so HU reverse signal should already be there if you used the connects2 cables, just connect up the purple and white wire on the harness and thats that.
Other thing you could do is connect the purple wire to the camera signal wire but then you would need to run a cable all the way back to the camera again.

PM me for prices for retrofits.

Hi Ash,

i did use connects2 cables and purchased this camera: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231390415722?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

IIRC the purple wire that comes out of the HU is the rear reverse signal input? and that would need to be connected to a purple/ white wire on the connects 2 harness?

Id still need to run a video cable from camera all the way through the car so running an extra cable at the same time doesnt make a difference.

and i could just take power from rear reversing light? correct?

Cheers

That camera is actually really good! Have it fitted on my wife's car and she can see far more at night then I can on mine.

Yes the purple wire from hu cable goes to purple white on connects2 harness... The camera video cable goes to the back of stereo, the camera power can either be put on the reverse bulb so it switches on when reverse is engaged or wired into one of the permanent live wires in the rear wiper plug so that you can use the software feature in the pioneer hu to view the rear camera without engaging reverse gear. I have wired mine to the wiper motor which allows me to see the camera even when I'm driving along a motorway

Reactions: shadow1993
That camera is actually really good! Have it fitted on my wife's car and she can see far more at night then I can on mine.

Yes the purple wire from hu cable goes to purple white on connects2 harness... The camera video cable goes to the back of stereo, the camera power can either be put on the reverse bulb so it switches on when reverse is engaged or wired into one of the permanent live wires in the rear wiper plug so that you can use the software feature in the pioneer hu to view the rear camera without engaging reverse gear. I have wired mine to the wiper motor which allows me to see the camera even when I'm driving along a motorway

That helps so much! Thank you :)

@leshkin one more on the GPS antenna, did you also use the GPS mat, on which to stick the antenna? Does it really affect the signal strength? If i'm doing this on the dash do I need to use the mat, seems a bit of an eyesore, might tuck it away in the corner as shadow1993 suggests.

I had my antena in the corner with just a neat velcro pad to hold it down and it was fine. Middle is the optimum location, but in the corner will work fine too.

@leshkin one more on the GPS antenna, did you also use the GPS mat, on which to stick the antenna? Does it really affect the signal strength? If i'm doing this on the dash do I need to use the mat, seems a bit of an eyesore, might tuck it away in the corner as shadow1993 suggests.

I didnt use the GPS anntenna mat as it didnt stick on my dash.

the one time i used the GPS on the iphone it was always at full signal.

Finished the install today. Very very pleased with the end result. You really get the best out of the Bose system with the equaliser (like I'm sure you would with most aftermarkets). Anyway teething pains and tips for anyone else embarking in this:

1) make sure you get the right fascia kit and adaptor. I used Car Audi Direct and the connects 2 specific to my Audi B7. Even so they sent me the wrong radio release keys (had to use eBay). Sent me he wrong bracket (had to grind off the edge of the brackets so it would fit. Did not provide any screws to secure the fascia (lucky I've got plenty spare). They else sent two can bus adapters one of if which was completely wrong.

2) feeding the mic cable and gps antenna was a pain. Had to remove the panel under the steering wheel to feed it to the fuse box. As per suggestions have the gps on the dash but you can't really notice it.

Apart from that the rest was pretty straight forward.
The pioneer system itself I still news to get used to. Apple maps as the nav is a bit of a pain, but will get used to it.

Must give big shout out to leshkin for the tips. Big big help. All the wiring is great and chuffed with it.

Thanks.

Reactions: shadow1993 and leshkin
Hi guys, thinking of getting the SPH-DA120 unit installed into my '07 Audi A3.

Looking at around £500 for the parts and installation. Anyone who's got one think that the unit is worth this money?

Was initially put off the RNS-E due to the price tag, but this is becoming quite expensive also.

Opinions?

Fitting kit is about £90, add the stereo price on top and another £100 odd for fitting.the units cabin be bought cheaper on eBay or Amazon

If you've got an iPhone id say it's worth having, but I'd probably only get it again if I had steering wheel controls which I don't atm so just having a touch screen is a real pain when trying to find a song as you need to look where your pressing all the time!

Right once I've got my stuck RNSE out - I'm so doing this ...

14661285125_44840cca67_z.jpg

Last edited:
When I can get it out - it's been 2 yrs like that!!

Park up in Bradford and leave it for ten minutes. They'll have it out for you in a flash.

Reactions: Inertiauk, Mindak, shadow1993 and 1 other person
you need one more removal tool you lazy ******! 2 years and you still haven't got one??
Ah - now thats an idea ... the two right hand keys are fine, they have locked and the unit 'pulls out slightly'. The left hand side is the problem the lower key doesn't lock at all whilst the top key locks but the side to side 'play' suggests the pin is still engaged. AMD Woking and Tuningwerkes in Croydon have both looked at it and suggest a dash removal ...

speak to dynamic sounds and ask for the flush fitting adjustable cage, with that you can push the stereo further in and you can trim the cage trim to make that sit better too.

alright

anyone figured out how to install a custom background on this unit?

Hi Guys - Great Thread! I'm a complete newby to this and would be grateful if someone could hold my hand through an install.

I have a 2007 Audi A3 8P (5 Door Hatch) with a Bose Symphony head unit (pic attached). I only know it is Bose because of the branding on the speaker housing..... so I assume this is right? I also have steering wheel controls (pic also attached).

I would like to install a Pioneer AVHX8750BT (or similar) for the purpose of CarPlay. Open to other suggestions if another unit is seen to be better. I need this to be plug and play and would like as many features as possible to work (e.g. steering wheel controls).

Would someone mind putting together a list of links for everything that I need (e.g. fascia, loom, conversion kits, removal tools etc). I know this probably looks lazy (asking for a summary) but I'm in Australia and it would be a pain reordering if I get this wrong.

I'm grateful for the assistance.

Cheers
Morgan
IMG 0974

IMG 0973

Mem from DynamicSounds has helped me out so no need for a response. I may need help with the install though.....

Mem from DynamicSounds has helped me out so no need for a response. I may need help with the install though.....

For anyone looking at the thread, could you pop in the answers you got to your questions! Sometimes the answers in one post help see folks like me see the wood for the trees, if I ever got around to doing something like this.

It's hard to say exactly what either of you need without knowing exactly which audio setup your car has and connector your stereo uses for the main loom, as well as the radio aerial adapter that will be required.

When I had my Pioneer AVH-X8600BT installed, I documented a lot of what I used here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...h-full-android-mirroring-and-controls.232701/

Audi switched from ISO connectors to the newer, Quadlock plug in 2004 or 2005 (don't remember exaclty), so your first port of call should be to remove the stereo and figure out what you have in there. Secondly, you need to know if you have rear, amplified speakers or not as that will have an impact on which harness adapter you need. Whichever set-up you have, I can't recommend Connects2 adapters enough. Checkout their site for more http://www.connects2.co.uk

Reactions: mister.c.
So I have a 2007 A3 2.0T (8p) with the Symphony Bose system. I'm installing the Pioneer AVHX8750BT (which is called the AVH-X8700BT in the UK).

On Mem's advice, parts I purchased are as follows:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct23au02a-audi-a3-double-din-fascia-panel-adaptor.html?search=ct23au

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct27aa14-universal-fakra-to-din-aerial-antenna-adaptor.html?search=ct27aa14

and

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ctsad006-2-audi-a3-a4-a6-tt-steering-wheel-stalk-control-adaptor.html?search=ctsad

I double-checked with Mem that I wouldn't need the dual fakra. He assures me I don't.

I also went to my local SuperCheap Auto (Australia) and bought some bullet head connectors as I think I'll need them.

I've got the head unit but am still waiting for the cables to arrive from the UK. I'll try and document how the install goes and keep you updated.

Cheers
Morgan

Reactions: mister.c. and shadow1993
Hi again

So I went through with the install last night. It wasn't exactly 'plug and play' as the adapter sent from Dynamic Sounds was the wrong size for my loom. So - I had to cut the female harness off and wire the stock loom up myself (not a hard job - but a bit annoying).

It seems as though everything is working fine except for the steering wheel controls.

Are there any integral wires for the controls other than the 3.5mm jack (into the W/R port) and connects2 box? E.g. have I missed connecting something to the loom that triggers the controls?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what might be wrong? I'd appreciate any troubleshooting assistance.

I'll post a photo of all the wiring tonight.

Thanks a lot
Morgan

Reactions: mister.c.
think when you buy the loom you need to select an option for which headunit u have and they will send a steering wheel control wire for £5

I'm sorry, I have read this thread several times and still not 100% on what I need to order to fit a Pioneer SPH-DA120 to my 2009 s3 with Bose and rns-e. So far I have.

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct23au02a-audi-a3-double-din-fascia-panel-adaptor.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...3-s5-tt-twin-fakra-to-din-aerial-adaptor.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...-system-interface-amplified-adaptor-lead.html

Is that right? What do I need for steering wheels controls?

Thanks in advance!