Pioneer CarPlay Headunit, has anyone got one fitted yet?

Do you know if the top kit would fit a 2003 model of stereo?
If your car is a 8P then it should fit just fine. As always, confirm with the supplier before placing the order to ensure that it us the right part.

Hi guys, iv got my sph-Da120, hoping I have the right harnesses only thing I'm unsure of before taking things apart is the gps antenna, will my existing a3 antenna fit the pioneer or will I have to use the one that comes with the unit and mount it up somewhere?
Oh and will I have to rig up a handbrake wire etc anywhere (won't be needing it done properly)

Cheers

The green handbrake sense wire just needs to be grounded. I just clipped it to a black wire on the wiring adapter harness.

I doubt that the oem GPS aerial will fit the new HU and I'd avoid chopping any OEM wiring just in case you decide to go back to standard HU when selling.

Fitting the extra GPS aerial is easy mate. Just route the wire behind the glove box (easy to remove) and tuck the cable down the front of the dash, between it and windscreen.

Dam that would be so much easier if it did fit, you mean stick the antenna itself to the screen or can that too be mounted under the dash itself out of sight?

Cheers

No, mout it on the dash, but just below the screen, ideally in the middle of the dash. You can try mounting it just above the head unit within the dash, but I've read that people had mixed results with that approach. If you can avoid adding interference by mounting inside the dash you will absolutely get better GPS signal.

No, mout it on the dash, but just below the screen, ideally in the middle of the dash. You can try mounting it just above the head unit within the dash, but I've read that people had mixed results with that approach. If you can avoid adding interference by mounting inside the dash you will absolutely get better GPS signal.

Fitted mine exactly as leshkin has advised and works great. Just don't do what I did and drive the car with the glove box fully disconnected or you will end up with an airbag warning light that has to be cleared. Apart from that it's a 10 minute job to get the GPS cable in my place.

Reactions: fubar84
I'm still toying with the idea of fitting one, I'm just not 100% on the looks of the double din adapter

You mean the fascia surround?
I was a bit concerned but glad I went for it now!

Reactions: Arkious and fubar84
ooo that actually looks quite snazzy, i guess there are versions that are flush mounted?

Does your steering wheel allow the use of siri?

I'd suggest reading through the thread - all of these questions are answered here already ;)

Reactions: Ash187
Not yet, in the new 8600 that I have there is a port in the back with a cable sticking out to allow the dis function but there is nothing for that cable to plug into yet, pioneer are going to release the module that cable plugs into which then integrates to the car... Still waiting on that module to be released

This thread has been an absolute eye opener, after trawling the Internet for dayssss. I've got an Audi A4 2008 Convertible TFSI and I've been looking at installing the Pioneer Spa 120 as tested it in halfords but they didn't really sound like they new what needed to be done, quoting me for things that I didn't think were necessary... The main issue is that he said I would need to rewire the whole Bose sound system, but looking at this thread and speaking to Lee at Car audio direct would disagree.

I got the following advice:

The harness from the CTKAU04 kit has RCA plugs that connects to the rear of the Pioneer unit for the audio out put. No cutting or soldering is required. Please ensure the patch lead is also purchased.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ctkau04-audi-a4-2007-radio-installation-kit
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-pioneer-stalk-adaptor

So is this all I need? Then it will be a matter of plug and play. Having read then thread s couple of times, seems people have had issues , in particular with the additional antenna adapter, and also power. I hope if I wire it correctly there shouldn't be any problems, I don't have any extras like rearview camera, just the Bose system (which I even think is half bose...)

Would really appreciate what you think, if those two bits of kit have me covered.

That kit looks to be the correct one. As mentioned earlier in this and other threads, I prefer the Connects2 CTSAD006.2 adapter, which is also suitable to A4. It's a pricier option, but allows for better control over noise that is common to aftermarket HU installs and Bose speakers.

But yeah, Halfords would be the last place I would go for audio install advice - I'm sure that there are knowledgeable audio people that work there, I haven't met one yet :)

Honestly After my experience i wouldn't go with the SPH-DA120 if i had to do it over again.

my reasons being:
Android mirror link does not work at all. ( apple car play works fine)
Having No physical volume up/ down button is a massive pita because i need to turn the music down to hear parking sensors, so i have to click the button about 20 seconds before i can start to reverse

Same problem applies with just about any button that is not physical, because you cant feel them you have to take your eyes off the road to press something.

NO DAB & no SatNav is also a pain not to mention no CD player. Was gutted when amazon had a HU that ticked all the boxes on half price, effectively the same cost as this one.

Saying that, Bluetooth, Phone calls USB aux all work great.

Improved sound quality by a lot too...

To recap:

If you can find a better HU on deal or can stretch a bit more then get a better model.

Reactions: mister.c. and irowpod
Thanks guys

@leshkin - not sure if the Connects2 CTSAD006.2 has all the bits I need. Are you saying I would need both kits? Going to take the plunge tonight and install next week.

@shadow - thanks for advice, although I'm an Apple fanboy, and will always have an iphone, or at least for the foreseeable, as does my missus (who spends quite a bit of time in the car) and most mates, so not too fussed about the android connectivity. As for the volume, with the above kit I hope to maintain the steering wheel controls, so will be able to turn the volume down using that? Did you not set that up? As for the DAB and Sat Nav, yeah that's my biggest regret, although hopefully the apple maps will do part of the job, and with the CarPlay I'll get to use my spotify app, as opposed to just downloaded songs in my iTunes.

The pioneer system seems to have everything I need, predominantly CarPlay, bluetooth and the ability to utilise spotify, maps etc. I was looking at the new Alpine HU with CarPlay, more expensive and no bluetooth.

Will hopefully post succesful pics in a couple of weeks.

Thanks guys

@leshkin - not sure if the Connects2 CTSAD006.2 has all the bits I need. Are you saying I would need both kits? Going to take the plunge tonight and install next week.

@shadow - thanks for advice, although I'm an Apple fanboy, and will always have an iphone, or at least for the foreseeable, as does my missus (who spends quite a bit of time in the car) and most mates, so not too fussed about the android connectivity. As for the volume, with the above kit I hope to maintain the steering wheel controls, so will be able to turn the volume down using that? Did you not set that up? As for the DAB and Sat Nav, yeah that's my biggest regret, although hopefully the apple maps will do part of the job, and with the CarPlay I'll get to use my spotify app, as opposed to just downloaded songs in my iTunes.

The pioneer system seems to have everything I need, predominantly CarPlay, bluetooth and the ability to utilise spotify, maps etc. I was looking at the new Alpine HU with CarPlay, more expensive and no bluetooth.

Will hopefully post succesful pics in a couple of weeks.

Hi if you are with apple then the system works great, maps work as they should and so does spotify.
I dont have steering wheel buttons soo if you buy the patch lead for the buttons you should be able to get them to work. Defo use connects2 cables though. Still missing DAB, and if i had to go do it all over again i would defo look into a unit with physical buttons DAB and SATNAV, but i guess most of those issues are ok for you.

personal preference really...

any more questions or help needed just ask.

Reactions: Hanksw4

You don't need it, but it is a better adapter cable that comes with the kit. The one with the kit will work, but it may have more background noise than the one in the kit though.

What's the pioneer headunit called? On the hunt for a system that integrates sat nav Bluetooth and all the rest. Anything for under £300?

What's the pioneer headunit called? On the hunt for a system that integrates sat nav Bluetooth and all the rest. Anything for under £300?
SPH-DA120 is around £300, but only way you will get satnav on it is if you have an apple phone.

Always had iPhones so that's no problem. Cheers

GetAttachment
i have one of these.
Personal experience? theres only so much you can do on them
I cant change the brightness or contrast of the screen unless im missing something?
Settings are basic and the bleeding thing doesnt let me play any videos i have downloaded in MP4 or .AVI format... only some work and some dont and ive tried numerous times on the SD card or via USB... i have the USB cable from the back of the unit going to my glovebox.

oh and the worst bit is when the untit is cold the screen doesnt work properly.. i have to hold one corner of the plastic surround of the screen down then press the screen for it to work... once its warm theres no issues lol

APART from the above it does the job.. the iphone 5 cable for it was about £60 i paid from fleabay as the one that comes with it was the 4s one which isnt compatible with newer phones

View attachment 51238 i have one of these.
Personal experience? theres only so much you can do on them
I cant change the brightness or contrast of the screen unless im missing something?
Settings are basic and the bleeding thing doesnt let me play any videos i have downloaded in MP4 or .AVI format... only some work and some dont and ive tried numerous times on the SD card or via USB... i have the USB cable from the back of the unit going to my glovebox.

oh and the worst bit is when the untit is cold the screen doesnt work properly.. i have to hold one corner of the plastic surround of the screen down then press the screen for it to work... once its warm theres no issues lol

APART from the above it does the job.. the iphone 5 cable for it was about £60 i paid from fleabay as the one that comes with it was the 4s one which isnt compatible with newer phones
A model number would be helpful

SPH-DA120 is around £300, but only way you will get satnav on it is if you have an apple phone.

Not quite true - Android support is present with Waze App available. Full mirroring is also possible with a modified version of Android, which is what I use. Essentially anything you have on your phone is made available on the HU screen:

Not quite true - Android support is present with Waze App available. Full mirroring is also possible with a modified version of Android, which is what I use. Essentially anything you have on your phone is made available on the HU screen:

that would involve rooting your phone and doing it the unofficial way, means no warranty, no official updates.
Whats the point? When the apple equivalent works with a simple cable?
Android needs £80 worth of cables and even then it doesn't work.
Im really dissapointed.

that would involve rooting your phone and doing it the unofficial way, means no warranty, no official updates.
Whats the point? When the apple equivalent works with a simple cable?
Android needs £80 worth of cables and even then it doesn't work.
Im really dissapointed.

Yes, it's not for everyone. I always tend to use slimmed down/rooted Android ROMs on my phone and put them back to standard is I claim warranty.

Whats the point? All my apps and media form the phone is available on my car stereo.

Android requires a a Slimport or MHL adapter (depending on the pone), which normally costs 20-odd pounds, a charging USB cable and depending on your adapter HDMI cable. The Pioneer kit is not what is needed here.

I love my setup, but once Parrot RNB6 comes out, I'm switching to that as that will have proper Android Auto support and will likely work better than the Pioneer.

1:03 min into your vid... how did you get your gauges to show up on the screen??

Yes, it's not for everyone. I always tend to use slimmed down/rooted Android ROMs on my phone and put them back to standard is I claim warranty.

Whats the point? All my apps and media form the phone is available on my car stereo.

Android requires a a Slimport or MHL adapter (depending on the pone), which normally costs 20-odd pounds, a charging USB cable and depending on your adapter HDMI cable. The Pioneer kit is not what is needed here.

I love my setup, but once Parrot RNB6 comes out, I'm switching to that as that will have proper Android Auto support and will likely work better than the Pioneer.

I bought the £40 pioneer kit, didnt work,
Then i bought an official samsung MHL adapter and it just constantly cycles from connected to disconected.

Official support is pants.

Once a phone is rooted a counter is set so even if you put it back to stock software they will still see it.

Dont see why its so hard for android to sort it out properly, if apple can do it it cant be that hard.

I did look into paying the £20 for the app, but a lot of people were reporting lots of different issues and all i wanted is a solution that works.

Never bothered since my phone constantly disconnects from the HU and because it would also involve rooting the phone, which in theory i shouldnt need to do get full use out of my product.

10974722_10153166067779924_3705299314359730332_o.jpg

Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB these are excellent units and can be bought new for about £290 on ebay, no sat nav put if you have a iphone and the right cable it can
be hooked to the pioneer no problem.
Had this in my Civic type r now got it in my A3

Gents, I start the installation tomorrow. Opened up the Pioneer box and Connects2 kit, I've got a question on the wiring. As much as I hope it was plug and play in the main I've got a few questions:

In the pic below I have the Audi CAN-Bus Quadlock on the right, and the Pioneer cables on the left.

Are the unplugged wires from the Can-bus supposed to be plugged into anything, in particular Amp Remote (Blue Wire), although I can not see a corresponding wire on the left.

Also, I have a really long Green Parking Break wire coming from the Pioneer wires, should I be connecting this to the Green wire on the CAN-Bus, the unplugged one visible on the right hand side?

IMG 4897

Once I've got this step done I think I'm in the clear. Need to find a good place to wire the GPS pad, and also a clever way to wire the mic.

Just worried those some of the 4 wires on the right need to plugged into something, and not sure what to do with the green park brake wire on the left...

Help please!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4898.JPG
    IMG_4898.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 409
@leshkin - I see you have said to earth the green wire, and you did this by clipping it to one of the black wires on the harness. Do you mean one of the black wires on the Can-bus harness, between the red and orange cables?

Once that sorted, just need to know if the 4 rogue cables on the Can bus need to be plugged, I imagine the Pioneer SPA 120 has no need for these.

one more.... I haven't taken my stock radio out, but I believe my B7 has GPS navigation, will I be able to use the GPS antenna built into the car, or best to just run the aftermarket unit under the dash?

If I manage to do this myself, I will owe this forum a pint, or 6.

@leshkin - I see you have said to earth the green wire, and you did this by clipping it to one of the black wires on the harness. Do you mean one of the black wires on the Can-bus harness, between the red and orange cables?

Once that sorted, just need to know if the 4 rogue cables on the Can bus need to be plugged, I imagine the Pioneer SPA 120 has no need for these.

Yeah, I wish they would provide some instructions for the kits - it wouldn't affect their bottom line that much :)

You can't use the OEM GPS antena unfortunately - I'd run a GPS aerial cable to the middle of the dash, near where the dash and windscreen meet. You may be able to tuck the cable down behind the dash, but failing that, run it around the left side and behind the glove box - 10 minute job if you have taken the glove box off before.

Anyway, green wire - clip that on to the black wire (ground) of the stereo wiring harness itself (there should be just one coming out of the HU). That way, you can change a stereo or go back to OEM without butchering the original harness.
Be027c20af2b1d7f9b7166791f367407

The blue wire (remote 'on') - this tells the speaker/sub and radio amps to power up, when the head unit is switched 'on'. What I did was take the blue wire from the Pioneer HU harness (might be labeled as AMP ON or REMOTE ON) and attach it to the blue wire from the radio aerial adapter and the one that comes out of the Connects2 quadlock plug (that connects to the OEM harness of the car). You might be better off conencting these using bullet connectors to make it easier in case you want to replace the HU or harness in the future. I bodged this like so:
1491b2b505373dfafe4ece979a5f28ac

Finally, the HU harness ignition wires should be red to red and yellow to yellow:
9e96d8bab7bbccb86d8a831c491ef731

That's how have my adapter wired up and everything is working. Your mileage may vary because you have a slightly different harness, but I imagine that this should get you on the right path. Let me know if you have any more issues/questions.

sweet. SO I've grounded the green wire.. check. Next I think my harness is different to the one you have, namely my ignition wires are already set yellow to yellow and red to red with the pioneer harness.

If you look at the pic on the right, you can see the yellow ignation wires from my Connects2 harness already correspond with the yellow wires from the pionner harness (same goes for red). So I think I'm set here.

I've also now wired the antenna adapter, but rather than running the plugs I've put the clip of the blue wire from the antenna into the corresponding slot of the blue wire on the Pioneer harness. Watched an Enfig video and this is how they suggested to do it.

This still leaves me with 4 loose wires, blue, green, pink and purple coming from the Connects2 harness. Do these need to be plugged into anything? Especially the blue one. I imagine will need to wire this to the spare "remote" wire on the pioneer wires.
Image2
Image1

So I imagine I need to stick these together:

Image1