Pioneer CarPlay Headunit, has anyone got one fitted yet?

yes thats the box you need. its not only for the steering, one end goes to the stereo harness which needs to be plugged in. this helps the control of the canbus system.
the other side of that box needs a patch lead that enables the steering wheel controls. if you don't have the controls you would still need to use this box.

Reactions: shadow1993 and leshkin
So all i need to do is plug in that box then join the blue wires together as per your instructions and the unit will power up along with the amp when the car is turned on without the need for an external pwoer source from the fuse box?

Thanks
YEP!

Reactions: shadow1993
Cant wait to try this tonight....

Shame that you cant have them on while ignition is off, but i think i will wire in a two way switch to switch between switched live and permanent live (stolen from 12v ciggarete lighter)

Does anyone know if the 12V cig lighter is timed to an hour or if its on constantly?

Also how hard is it to wire in a nifty thing that will cut power to Radio if the battery voltage is about to get below what is required to start the car?

If you have the connects2 box in place then all you have to do is switch the car onto electrics and back off but leave the key in the ignition and the stereo will stay on as the factory stereo does

that would be epic.. how about the battery voltage sensory thingy?

Hey,
Quick update.

Radio now powers up as it should with out an additional power wire. However when ignition is turned on and back off again (while leaving the key in) the radio turns off after 30 secs or 1 minute.
Still no Rear Speakers or Sub... Got all blue wires connected along with the Connects2 Box.

Any ideas what now?

all 3 blue cables are connected and i tried it from the farka and ISO antenna connections... :/

Maybe just realised why there is no signal.. i havent plugged in the black RCA into the back of the head unit.

Maybe just realised why there is no signal.. i havent plugged in the black RCA into the back of the head unit.
Plugged in the black RCA cables from the connects2 harness into the HU and still no speakers... really dont know what to do at this point to get the rears to turn on :(

I had to set the fade towards the rear and then they worked it all sounds great

Everyone Deserves a piece of this!!

Finally got all my speakers to work. Thanks to everyone who helped and followed the thread!

Still have a long way to go..

• Sort out why the Stereo turns off 30 seconds after key is turned to ignition and back off
  • Wire in a switch to choose from permanent live and switched live power sources
  • Wire in something that will tell me when the battery is about to go past the point, where i cant start the car anymore
  • Finish wiring in MIC, GPS antenna, Mirror link cables going to my phone on drivers side window
  • USB connection points to the glove box
  • Tidy up the cables and wrap them in some cable tape
  • Wire in Rear Reversing Camera
And once all that is completed i will be going for a custom Stealth Sub, amp and 4 speaker package. :)
Any suggestions on this?

Also, now that i have the Pioneer Headunit with the connects2 box, does it mean i can get a hold of a Steering wheel with controll buttons and it will work without any programing?
If so how do i know which one would suit me? as i know i have a single airbag or something similar?

Also Noticed a weird issue when ignition is turned on and then off again..

The HU will turn off after a random period of time.. sometimes 30 seconds sometimes 2 mins but as soon as it turns off it turns back on...

Really weird... does anyone know why its doing it?

Thanks

Also, now that i have the Pioneer Headunit with the connects2 box, does it mean i can get a hold of a Steering wheel with controll buttons and it will work without any programing?
If so how do i know which one would suit me? as i know i have a single airbag or something similar?

steering controls would only work if you get the right slip ring and steering wheel controller. then you could get the mfsw or a flat bottom which will work. your problem will be getting the car to recognise the wheel not the stereo.

steering controls would only work if you get the right slip ring and steering wheel controller. then you could get the mfsw or a flat bottom which will work. your problem will be getting the car to recognise the wheel not the stereo.

Does the car even need to reckognise the Controll button side of things? Does it not plug directly into the HU?

What about my other questions ash? any idea?

the car needs to know about the steering wheel as the HU just sends the steering control signal through canbus. if the steering control module doesn't register a steering wheel with buttons then the hu has nothing to talk to.

as for your random on/off issue i have no idea why it would be doing that... mine simply switches on with ignition and switches off when i talk the keys out of the ignition, not before that... i have had the system working that way for the past 4 years since my first pioneer HU... i am now on my 3rd due to newer features from pioneer but the systems all work the same.

Quick update on my Pioneer AppRadio Android mirroring exploits:

Managed to turn my original plan into reality today and now have full screen mirroring and touch controls on the Pioneer AVH-X8600BT head unit from a LG G3 phone. The idea was to have the phone's screen fully mirrored on the head unit's 7" display, while at the same time allow for full control of the phone from the HU touchscreen and hands-free phone calls via Bluetooth.

Further details on this: http://www.cnet.com/news/unlock-ful...ng-on-your-dashboard-with-this-appradio-hack/

What was needed:
Phone:
Apps for the phone:
Cables:
By far the biggest source of problems with getting this to work are phone cables. The cheap ones from ebay or amazon just do not work! If you want this to work properly, do not be cheap and try to save 15 quid by not buying original cables or ones that are known to work. Android phone manufacturers tend to use one of three different port standards MHL, Slimport and some phones actually have a dedicated HDMI port on them.

The LinkS Slimport adapter definitely works on LG and is likely to work on any Nexus device. It is the only cable I needed to get my connection working, without having to buy the cable kit that Pioneer sells for something like 80 quid, which will not work for LG anyway :) This cable connects to USB2 port and HDMI on the back of the HU and the slimport plug into the phone.

With the above sorted, I can now just get in to the car, connect the phone to the slimport cable and place it out of the way. The screen is mirrored to the HU with full touch controls working too. I can now use my phone's all-you-can-eat 4G data with any app to stream music or video, read email, use the very cool Torque app to get nice real-time car data dials and graphs on the HU screen... Really, anything you could do with your phone, you can now do through the HU without having to deal with phone mounts or flailing cables. The HU works with the steering controls, so skipping songs or controlling volume works in the same way. The skip forward/back function works with any currently active music app, so will work with Google Music or Spotify. Oh!, it also makes hands-free calls via BT! :)

No video for now, seeing as it would be a bit weird trying to use my phone to do the demo and make the video :) In any case, there are a few videos of how this works on youtube. Here's one in French, enjoy! :

Reactions: IanRW and shadow1993
Some great info.. Hopefully i can sort this for my Galaxy S5 using £40 cable kit from Pioneer and SPH-DA120..

Need to do some more googling on rooting and stuff..

One question, See the handbrake On signal cable, does it have to be connected to the handbrake switch positive side and get some sort of current/ voltage to it before it will allow apps?

because currently i have just grounded mines and the Apps button is grayed out on my Head unit...???

At last, a genuine reason to root my phone!

Reactions: leshkin
Some great info.. Hopefully i can sort this for my Galaxy S5 using £40 cable kit from Pioneer and SPH-DA120..

Need to do some more googling on rooting and stuff..

One question, See the handbrake On signal cable, does it have to be connected to the handbrake switch positive side and get some sort of current/ voltage to it before it will allow apps?

because currently i have just grounded mines and the Apps button is grayed out on my Head unit...???

If your HU is not from US, then just grounding the green wire would be enough to trick the HU into thinking that the handbrake is 'on', so that is not the issue. The App icon will light up once the HDMI connection is detected and the control software on your phone successfully connects to your HU. I found that even with a fully-working cable and phone, Pioneer's Android app had about 10% connection success rate and didn't really inspire confidence. They must have had some dude off the street write it for them - it is terrible. That is why I don't recommend using the official method. Even iPhone users have mixed results with it.

Because you have a different model, you might have a different result... With the ARU app, I hit HDMI button on the HU to get the video feed from the phone's home. I then press the 'mode' button, which enables touch controls. I can now use full 7" of the screen for the phone's home screen. The app button also works, but I really like having all of the HU screen to display the phone and not have the physical HU home button work.

The best test for a cable is to connect the phone to your HU with it (it should have a message about detecting HDMI connection) and if you hit HDMI input on the HU, you should see your screen. If you do not, then the cable is not right or your smartphone setting on the HU are not correct - device should be something like 'other phone' and method should be 'HDMI'.

For a Samsung phone, you do not necessarily need the Pioneer cable kit, although chances of things working would be better. A good quality HDMI cable and a standard Android USB charging cable should work too if combined with Samsung's original MHL adapter. I used this one for Galaxy S4 and it worked (displayed phone screen via HDMI input on HU), but it is a work phone, which I did not want to root to get the ARU stuff working. From what I understand, the same adapter should work for S5 too.

I couldn't comment on rooting a S5, but I would imagine it would not be too difficult. Just make sure to research that root exists for any OS software upgrades from Samsung ;)

That is such an amazing setup... its too bad i can't do that with the iPhone :(

i have bought a Kivic one which allows wireless streaming but not control but its perfect for what i want for the time being. It has airplay, airplay mirroring, android Mira link and DNLA support so i can stream pretty much anything to the Headunit from any device. Allows me to stream audio or video to the Headunit with no wires attached and just works.

not as good as the android setup but good enough for an iPhone besides the carplay setup.

http://kivic-one.com

That looks cool! I've read that people even managed to get Chromecast dongles to work in ad-hoc mode and that allowed them to stream anything from Android phones and compatible apps on iPhone. That doesn't do controls all that well though and seems to be a bit laggy.

I was never going to be happy with just media streaming and full mirror and control was the ultimate objective. There are still things I need to sort out with my setup, but it's mainly automating phone behavior once it detects the headunit connection/disconnection using Tasker. The Screen Standby app seems to not detect HDMI cable being unplugged and keeps the screen switched off, which is not great... these are just little niggles though and will be sorted shortly... I was still happy to get my Torque app data on the HU, while listening to music on my way to work! I was in true car geek heaven :)

Made a couple of quick vids to show how the Kivic one looks in my A3 on the Pioneer unit

Kivic Pioneer Airplay Mirroring:

Reactions: leshkin
That's very nice! I should make a video of my setup too. Never know, we might start a Pioneer HU club on ASN to compete with all the RNS-E fans ;)

Reactions: Ash187
Just the thread Iv been looking for, I'm looking to get the pioneer sph-da120, already in process of making my phone holder to house my iPhone 6!

It is but I just keep crap in it so may aswell put it to good use rather than having a £600 phone knocking about when plugged in! Lol

That's quality mate. I'm thinking bout changing my RNSE at the moment I have an iPhone though .

I want to be able to AirPlay or stream the good player app which is what I use to watch football.
This is what I'm doing at the moment.

6befb2cbd2be408a2c0a7301acd509c4.jpg

Would that AirPlay video though? Have you got good player?

I don't have good player but it does airplay video with internet based apps, have a look up a few posts and you will see the video i put up of the plex app

Reactions: uksparx
Hi,
I have a 2001 A4(I know this is an A3 forum but I can't find anything anywhere else) It has the Bose sound system. I hooked the SPH-DA120 up but I have a problem,I'm getting sound in the back speakers but not in the front ones and because of that I can't make calls or send messages.Siri doesn't work.The symphony unit was in before I got the Pioneer.There doesn't seem to be a connection for the front speakers but they worked with the symphony unit.Any help would be appreciated,Thanks

sounds like you have either not connected something or are using the wrong harness kit behind the stereo.

one thing you could try is to go through the stereo settings by turning the music function to off and then go into settings and see what the speaker settings are on the pioneer unit. i remember on one of those units they have a setting to turn on or off the rear speakers... in your case your rears work which makes me think even more that it isn't wired in properly

Thanks for the reply,the guy in Halford's told me I had the right harness.there is a connection on the harness for the front speakers but nothing to put in it from the car.maybe he's wrong,he seems a bit confused about it.there is a setting to turn off rear speakers,when I turned it off I had no sound.any suggestions on the harness I need?