Pioneer CarPlay Headunit, has anyone got one fitted yet?

Just to be extra sure, I'd email dynamic sounds and confirm with them. Their tech guys are quick to respond during business hours.
I actually just did. hopefully get a response tomorrow so i can order.

What do you reckon, looks all right?

so i fitted the AVH-X8600BT today and updated the firmware to allow the Car Play feature to work... and honestly its not all that!
i haven't tried it out for that long so i will wait and play around with it a bit more but so far it just allows me to talk to the car to make it do things.
Here is the catch though, its Siri which even on a 4G network with good reception took about 3 minutes to get it to send a test text message to the wife. i sent 3 words which i could have typed and sent in less than a minute. having apple maps on the screen isn't that interesting, if i could somehow get tomtom to show up on the screen then i would say we are on to something.
Personally upgrading from a 8400 to the 8600 was worth it as the new unit has more things on it and is more refined, plays more formats of Video and the screen looks so much better... but the carplay side of things hasn't impressed me yet.

That's the thing with all of the units that integrate with phones - the unit might be very good, but the phone/software implementations has to pull its weight too. This is a very new area in car entertainment and I think that it will be a bit of time until the many different manufacturers sort themselves out. This HU essentially has to support three competing car integration standards at the moment - Apple CarPlay, MirrorLink and Pioneer's own AppRadio. Each one connects and works in a very different way, so I take my hat of to Pioneer for supporting these relatively well. I shudder to think how Google's Android Auto will affect things - would be nice if Pioneer release a software patch to allow this unit to support it.

Personally, I think MirrorLink has the biggest chance of success in the long term, due to many manufacturers now implementing it in their new cars, but this depends on continued support from a large number of car makers and phone manufacturers. It's like Betamax vs VHS all over again, but at a smaller scale :)

Hopefully I get Mirrorlink working once I get my new Android phone and we can then compare functionality.

Don't scare me... :D

I will report my findings when its all fitted.

Hey,
After a somewhat fruitful conversation with their tech department i decided to take the risk and order this anyway.
They couldn't tell me if the kit was flush mountable and if the cheaper cables will work...

According to pioneer website the CD-AH200 cable is exactly the same as CA-ANW-200 which is £35 cheaper, so i decided to take the chance.

Ash187,
can you please give me any pointers with the Reversing camera?

I seen your blog, but there isnt any models or how much they cost?

Would i be ok with a £10 one? as its just a novelty because i already have rear sensors and im doing it just because i can
Thanks

This thread is getting fruitful, had a few things to sort so not had the chance to take the plunge as I wanted, looking forward to seeing one fitted now though :)

Thread is getting fruitful but I'm getting nowhere....

So i bought the £75 mounting Kit from Dynamic Sounds, The double din cage doesn't really fit and bends out of shape, they send me an adapter that doesn't even apply to my car and the ones they have sent me don't work or I'm doing something wrong.

Would really appreciate any help as I've spent the whole day trying to get this to work with no luck.

If i upload pictures of all the adapters im trying to use can someone confirm if they are the correct ones?
Thanks

I assume that the stereo powers up, but no radio reception and speakers are not working? You need to connect the blue wire from the stereo to the blue wire on the radio aerial adapter (with the fakra connector) and the blue wire that is coming out directly from the harness connector that attaches to your car. I recommend using proper bullet connectors for this (Halfords sell these for peanuts).

Also, you have two radio connector adapters there - you should only need one. Make sure that the adaptor with the fakra connection it is plugged in and has the blue wire connected to the stereo, otherwise your radio amp will not know when to power up when your head unit is switched 'on'.

Finally, the cage you have will be a very tight fit... Like really tight... Its a matter of easing it in gently, but firmly. It shouldn't have any play once in. I found that bending the cage inwards VERY SLIGHTLY on top and bottom will give you a bit extra room to ease it in, but you will need to straighten it out once it is in position. You will then have to use the metal 'V' shaped tabs to secure the cage to the plastic facia but using a large flat-head screwdriver to push the tabs outwards, towards the plastic facia. Keep going around the perimiter and keep bending the tabs back, while trying the cage for movement. When the cage is not moving on its own, you are done :)

Hi,

Im getting no power whatsoever...

Is there any chance you could mark on those pics what cable i need to connect to where? i dont quite get it.

So i dont need to use the Actual Arial? just the one with farka connection?

Cage fits fine and HU sits in beautifully actually, just need to get it to turn on now.

OK, probably a mismatch on the adapters for power then. Check if any of the pins form the car's harness are mismatched with the adapter and the same with adapter and stereo cable?

Somebody mentioned that if you take out a stock HU on some cars it will cut power to any stereo power leads until the radio is de-married from the car? Could this be the case?

how will i know is there are mismatched pins?

Do i just need to use the arial with the farka connection and forget about the other one?

I assume that the stereo powers up, but no radio reception and speakers are not working? You need to connect the blue wire from the stereo to the blue wire on the radio aerial adapter (with the fakra connector) and the blue wire that is coming out directly from the harness connector that attaches to your car. I recommend using proper bullet connectors for this (Halfords sell these for peanuts).

So i need to connect all 3 blue wires together?

I never had any power issues due to the old unit being disconnected, so unlikely to be an issue in your case too.

I'm guessing here, as my car had the dual fakra connectors and I suspect that the fakra connector you have is the one that will be carrying power to the aerial amp. The second radio connector seems to be redundant in this case, as your stereo can only take one ISO connector and I would wager that the fakra aerial connector will be the better option to use. Try either and see what works better. I think your stereo harness has the remote on wire as blue/white, but just check the manual to make sure.

Before all that though, you need to sort out the power to your HU.... Check the wiring diagram on your original headunit and this should show you which wire is live and which is earth. Should look something like this:
RIMG0180-2.jpg

Just trace the wires and ensure that each is connected to the correct on on the stereo connector.

Reactions: shadow1993
is it quite likely that they have messed up with wire order?

Did you use all same adaptors that i have apart from the arial ones?

What HU did you install?

So i need to connect all 3 blue wires together?

Yes, the stereo uses the blue/white wire (if memory serves me right) to signal a remote amp to power-up. In this case you are powering-up your aerial amp and any any other amps that need to be 'on'.

You know, every car stereo install I did in my cars, I thought the exact same thing - always feels like such a hack :)

Which car do you have exactly and what stereo did you have in there originally? Fully-amped Bose or 1/2 Bose, or non-Bose? From that, figuring out which wiring harness you need is easy. We can then check if you have the right one.

i have a 2004 a3 2.0tdi special edition non bose with a symphony double din hu 6cd changer and cassette... so if i connect the 3 blue wires together it will power up and work?

No, the blue wires are for the head unit to send the 'on' signal to external amplifiers. For this to happen, the unit itself must switch on.

Take a photo of your car's wiring harness connector and the diagram on the back of your Audi stereo. We can then try to figure out how the power wires should be connected to power up your head unit.

By the way, the instruction manual says that this HU cannot be installed to cars that have no accessory key position in the ignition.. Is this true? Surely must still work?

I took a multimeter and there is power going through all the adaptors and looms all the way to the HU, Fuse is fine too..

Any other ideas?

It looks like you have the right adapter mate. Did you check the harness that came with the HU, as I know that there will be some alternative methods for wiring-up the power side of things. Check-out page 8 in your Pioneer installation manual and look at the yellow and red wires on the wiring adapter that came with your HU: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA120_InstallationManual070714.pdf

For the HU to work it needs power, but it also has to 'know' when your key is in the ignition, otherwise you won't be able to turn it off (I think). I'm just guessing at this point though.

Also, clamp the green wire in the photo, to the parking brake wire or the black (ground) wire on the loom, otherwise you will not be able to watch video on the HU.

It looks like you have the right adapter mate. Did you check the harness that came with the HU, as I know that there will be some alternative methods for wiring-up the power side of things. Check-out page 8 in your Pioneer installation manual and look at the yellow and red wires on the wiring adapter that came with your HU: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA120_InstallationManual070714.pdf

For the HU to work it needs power, but it also has to 'know' when your key is in the ignition, otherwise you won't be able to turn it off (I think). I'm just guessing at this point though.

Hi,
I already reversed and connected red to yellow instead of red to red and yellow to yellow... still doesnt power up.

Defo getting 12v at the wire that plugs into the HU though.

Also, clamp the green wire in the photo, to the parking brake wire or the black (ground) wire on the loom, otherwise you will not be able to watch video on the HU.

I think actually powering up the unit would be more of a priority :)

Odd... Did you say that you checked the fuse in the HU itself? If so, then could it be a faulty HU?

Odd... Did you say that you checked the fuse in the HU itself? If so, then could it be a faulty HU?

Hi,
yes i checked the Fuse visually and with a multi meter.. and there is definately 12v coming out of the wire that plugs into the HU...

Can it be a faulty HU? :/

Hi,
i have found some additional info:

"The power to the Audi head Unit is a CANBUS (computer) signal so for correct functioning you will need to find a switched live from the fusebox to run to the JVC or use a CANBUS adapter."
From HERE

Also some more info on the same issue HERE

"
You need to find 12+ ign switch wire in the fuse box and then feed a wire up to the radio from the fuse box and connect it to the red wire on the
pioneer.
[11:28:38] Lee: remove the drivers side dash trim to get access to the rear of the fuse box
there will be a thick black wire thats your ignition live
T into that and run it to the red bulleted wire on your pioneer h/u
please note you will need to plug the yellow from the stereo to the red in the iso and then connect the wire you have run to the red at the stereo
this will then mean your stereo will retain its memory
you will also need a pc5-90 aerial booster otherwise you'll get no radio reception"

Does this make sense? I think it does...

Also some people are saying i need a CANBUS adapter before the car will send the correct signal to the HU?

Yeah, the hole wiring from fusebox seems unneccesary with the correct adapter. What's the model of your harness adapter?

Got some Good and Bad news!!!...

Went into Halfords and the guy there was surprisingly useful. He confirmed that i need to run a switched live 12v wire from the fuse box to get the radio to turn on, voila... :D IT LIVES

Which brings me to the next set of problems...

• The amp is not turning on even tho all 3 blue wires are connected together and running the farka connection... Could the amp be on the Arial instead?
  • Cannot use Radio while car is off like with stock :( Will have to get a two way switch which will choose between a permanent live feed and a Switch live. :)
To get round the amp not turning on i think i might just bite the bullet and get a fully custom sound setup :)

Any input on what 6 channel amp A custom sub and 4 speakers i should get???

How will i get tweeters to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is getting fruitful but I'm getting nowhere....

So i bought the £75 mounting Kit from Dynamic Sounds, The double din cage doesn't really fit and bends out of shape, they send me an adapter that doesn't even apply to my car and the ones they have sent me don't work or I'm doing something wrong.

Would really appreciate any help as I've spent the whole day trying to get this to work with no luck.

If i upload pictures of all the adapters im trying to use can someone confirm if they are the correct ones?
Thanks

i can't believe i missed all this!

firstly i know you think the halfords guy helped... but he really didn't! the reason you paid for the connects2 wiring was so that you shouldn't need to be running power cables and such!

ok so firstly from the pictures i see above it all looks correct, seems that you have the right kit. HOWEVER i don't see the box that is supplied with the connects2 wiring... its a slim black box with something like 10 female pins on one end and about 6 female pins on the other. (the second picture you have up there is one of the connectors that go into that box) connect that as without it you won't get anything working. If you don't have this box then call up dynamic sounds and tell them so.

the box on the right in this pic:
CTSRN005.jpg

now with the blue wires you need to connect it in a very certain way... you first need to identify the cables... you want the pioneer stereo harness which fits into the back of the stereo, on that there is a blue (blue and white maybe) wire that hangs off... thats one of the blue wires you need.
then there is the blue wire that comes from the harness where the above box plugs in (this is the one with the connector in the first and second pic)
and finally you need the blue wire from the aerial adapter (as your car is a 2004 use the ISO connector not the fakra).
now connect these 3 together and your car will get power to the speakers.

the red connects to the red, the yellow to the yellow, the green goes to a grounding point, and the purple on the back of the stereo harness goes to the purple on the connects2 box harness (for reverse camera sensing) and once it is all connected properly your stereo should power up just fine and work.

If this still doesn't work after all that then bring it to me and i will have it working for you before you go home!

Reactions: shadow1993 and leshkin
i can't believe i missed all this!

firstly i know you think the halfords guy helped... but he really didn't! the reason you paid for the connects2 wiring was so that you shouldn't need to be running power cables and such!

ok so firstly from the pictures i see above it all looks correct, seems that you have the right kit. HOWEVER i don't see the box that is supplied with the connects2 wiring... its a slim black box with something like 10 female pins on one end and about 6 female pins on the other. (the second picture you have up there is one of the connectors that go into that box) connect that as without it you won't get anything working. If you don't have this box then call up dynamic sounds and tell them so.

the box on the right in this pic:
CTSRN005.jpg

now with the blue wires you need to connect it in a very certain way... you first need to identify the cables... you want the pioneer stereo harness which fits into the back of the stereo, on that there is a blue (blue and white maybe) wire that hangs off... thats one of the blue wires you need.
then there is the blue wire that comes from the harness where the above box plugs in (this is the one with the connector in the first and second pic)
and finally you need the blue wire from the aerial adapter (as your car is a 2004 use the ISO connector not the fakra).
now connect these 3 together and your car will get power to the speakers.

the red connects to the red, the yellow to the yellow, the green goes to a grounding point, and the purple on the back of the stereo harness goes to the purple on the connects2 box harness (for reverse camera sensing) and once it is all connected properly your stereo should power up just fine and work.

If this still doesn't work after all that then bring it to me and i will have it working for you before you go home!

Hi Ash, i dont believe you missed it too :D

I have got a similar box that came in a bag with Quadlock adaptors, but i think its got 10 pins on each side.... I will check on my lunchtime.

I might just come down... where are you located?

I'm by Dartford in Kent. Just 10 mins from Bluewater

Thats no use... im 10 hours drive away :/

I will need to sort this out myself.
Your post kind of makes sense i just need to read it about 10 times to get it in my head :D

No doubt i will be asking more.

alright no problem, i should be able to guide you through it.
now that box you said was on the quad lock harness... take the box off and plug it into the harness in the car and test.

Hi Ash187,
This is the connects2 box that came in a seperate bag along witha quad lock adaptor, hence why i though i dont need it...
I also thought that its only for steering controlls?

alright no problem, i should be able to guide you through it.
now that box you said was on the quad lock harness... take the box off and plug it into the harness in the car and test.

So all i need to do is plug in that box then join the blue wires together as per your instructions and the unit will power up along with the amp when the car is turned on without the need for an external pwoer source from the fuse box?

Thanks