Pioneer CarPlay Headunit, has anyone got one fitted yet?

Arkious

Reaction score
I retrofitted the RNS-E head unit to my car but to be honest, its not really that good and i really like the look of the new Pioneer head units.

Has anyone fitted one of these to an A3 yet and how do standard double din head units look in an A3?
sph-da120_ew5_lightblue_front_a1_large.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine that fitting this would be no different to any other after-market HU. If you were to fit this, you would likely need all the usual after-market HU adaptors to make it work with whatever flavour of Audi speaker setup you have.

I remember fitting a double-din unit to my old 8L S3 and all of the Bose and amp quirks just got in the way. In the end, I replaced all of the speaker wiring, the speakers, the amp and the sub in order to get it sounding right. I used a Kenwood HU at the time. Being an outspoken Android fanboy, I wouldn't bother with CarPlay personally , but would be interesting to see this in action if you were to fit it..

See I'm an apple fanboy ^.^ and can't wait to have a go of this. But that head unit is also capable of some similar android function.

To be honest the Bose thing had me worried. I Love the look of the audi rns-e but its just so outdated. Although this screen is ever so slightly smaller, I think the glass, gloss black and chrome will fit in well with the 'black edition' theme.

Id like to take the plunge but would probably have to sell my rns-e first. The thing is the runs-e produces a significantly better audi than my old symphony 3, so I was hoping a newer system would be even better.

I'd anyone else has any pioneer with Bose information, please share. And if anyone has one of these fitted, please get some pics up!

dont you want to keep the dis information ? or does this head unit keep the dis info?

To be honest, i thought the sat nav turn features would be cool... but i prefer to see mpg etc so i switch it back when using the routing. And generally i listen to podcasts through an aftermarket iPod connection so the DIS just shows CD1-99, so i wouldnt really be loosing anything other than the factory look.

However due to the plain glass look of this headunit, i think it may match well.

I just dont know how much hassle it would be to install.

I suspect that as long as you have the correct fascia adapter and the correct wiring adapter for the type of speaker setup in your car, it will mostly be plug and play. AndyMac on ASN used to be a legend of aftermarket HU installs in Audi cars and has helped me massively during my install. He sadly passed away last year and I can't recommend anyone else to help you. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/andy-mac-stealth-subs.196072/

From my experience, the key is to know exactly what type of speaker setup you have in your car. That will determine which wiring adapter you will need. The Pioneer HU line, you mentioned, seem to have the standard ISO connectors, so the process for these would be no different to any other after-market HU. You would need to get the GPS and radio antenas installed as the OEM stuff will not work.

Steering wheel controls and DIS is not going to work with such setup unless you find an adapter to make it work, but I have no experience with these.

Steering wheel controls would be nice, especially to get the speach button working with siri would be perfect.

But thanks very much for your input, going to have a scout about as these head units are selling for £350, the harnesses will probably be about £50 on top of that

After looking at my current audio setup in the S3 that I bought last week, I'm starting to think about going down the same route too. I miss the feature-set of the the aftermarket HUs and Android compatibility on Pioneer's AVH series looks very impressive and the prices seem very reasonable for what these things are capable of. Thanks @Arkious !

Are you up for sharing some 'learnings' on this as I suspect our cars might be quite similar in terms of audio setup?

Reactions: D3mon
I have been doing some digging too and am really after a HU with MirrorLink capability as that will let me extend my phone's screen to the HU with the controls, which would be ideal. Haven't decided on specific HU yet though.

I saw the A3 kit and don't think that it's the best one. The plastic facia does not screw into the dash, so is likely to flop about. I found a facia kit from US (http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_RMK8_A3DD.html) which actually screws into the center frame and provides a very sturdy base for everything else. I'm sure that the connects2 facia will be OK, but want to see if there is a better option.

Also, he radio aerial adapter in that kit seem to cater for cars with a single fakra connector, where my HU seems to have dual aerial connectors, so I'll probably need this: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ins...t27aa87-aerial-antenna-dual-fakra-din-adaptor

I suggest that you check your existing connections out to make sure, as getting the wrong radio adapter will result in very bad radio reception.

It's never easy with Audi systems :)

I am looking to pick one of the newer units up... i have a Pioneer 8400BT which i have put up for sale in the classifieds (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/for-sale-pioneer-avh-8400bt.228551)

The wiring is the same as any other Aftermarket unit... use the Connects2 cables to wire it up for a complete plug and play solution, although you will loose the DIS display its not too bad.

As cool as it seems, wiring this up so it works with the Bose setup would be a nightmare IMO!

Coming from a professional retrofitter lol. I've heard nothing but dramas when it comes to fitting aftermarket systems in place of Bose and having them working perfectly.

Reactions: Boud
i have no pops or any other weird noises. only downside of an aftermarket system is that the radio reception gets a little weak since both antennas can't be used and that the DIS is no longer used... other than that i have a better than factory system!
2 usb ports, aux, bluetooth handsfree calling and music streaming, iPhone apps on screen and full iPod support so i can actually use playlists with track names.

What about wiring it all up though? Bose has amplifiers, the subwoofer, amped speakers etc. Surely lots has to be messed around with to get it work? I'm asking as I'm genuinely interested as I hate having to burn CDs!

the mistake most people do is use the cheaper cables that need lots of work to get it working properly in the car. i always use the connects2 cables which may cost a bit more but it ensures everything works.. i have steering wheel buttons which work fine and as for the bose it comes with an adapter cable that the bose plug goes into and the other side is RCA plugs that go straight into the back of the new stereo. couldn't be more simpler

Reactions: Inertiauk
Please chuck me some links as I'd love to ditch the Bose for a decent double-din aftermarket unit if it's easy enough to do! I won't stint on cable costs!

No I haven't tried that but i barely listen to the radio anyway so it doesn't bother me. only thing i like to listen to on radio is the Kiss 100 breakfast show which i do so at home.

I've been interested in this recently, but it's on hold at the moment as I've spotted some guys online using adapted Apple Airport Express to provide AirPlay capability to a system with aux-in. Seems like a nice mod for me. I've never been sure though how the power to the 12 socket (with the spring loaded flap over it) acts when the keys are out of the ignition? Sometimes I think it goes dead when the keys are out, other times, it seem to be permanently live? Anyone know for sure?

Reactions: bentwenty
on mine its a constant 12v power even without keys in ignition. i wired a new 12v socket to the boot but put this on the switched live fuse so that i can power up things in the boot when I'm in the car (drinks cooler etc.)

Ah OK. Was that taken from an empty fuse position in the fuse box on the driver side of the dash and run down the length of the car?

So if I bought a decent double din I'd only need to buy that conversion loom as linked and boom, plug and play?

So if I bought a decent double din I'd only need to buy that conversion loom as linked and boom, plug and play?
Yes get that kit that has the fascia, connects2 adapters and also select the patch lead so that your MFSW will connect to the stereo. there is a tiny amount of wiring to do like a couple of grounding wires and to connect the reversing wire (for reverse camera) but its pretty straight forward.

Also you can contact dynamic sounds and ask for the flush fitting adjustable cage which allows you to set how far the stereo sticks out the dash. I know everyone would want it to sit flush with the dash but the standard fitting kits don't sit flush and stick out a fair bit... in the link below you can see how i have mine sitting.

Buy my stereo! its decent and mostly up to date. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/for-sale-pioneer-avh-8400bt.228551

That looks nice Ash! Its amazing how far car stereos have come in the last few years and the prices have dropped so much too!

I've been doing some more researching and here is what I put together to fit an after market HU into 8P Audi S3 (2009) with full BOSE, dual radio fakra aerial connections and MFSW with phone button:

Connects 2 CT23AU02 - 2DIN Facia Kit (Audi A3 : 2003 onwards 8P/8PA)
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct23au02a-audi-a3-double-din-fascia-panel-adaptor.html
- I think that this is the one with adjustable mounting depth

Connects2 CT27AA86 - Double Fakra ISO connectors
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct27aa86-universal-twin-fakra-to-iso-antenna-adaptor.html

Connects2 DS-AD002.2 - Audi A3, A4, TT Steering Wheel Stalk Control Adaptor Phone Button Support
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/audi...alk-control-adaptor-phone-button-support.html
- There is an extra option required for the stereo patch lead, but it's dependent on the stereo, which I'm yet to decide on

I've emailed Dynamic Sounds to try and get some confirmation of whether these are the correct adaptors for my setup and will let you guys know once I hear back from them.

By the looks of things, there would be a few different combinations of adaptors, which would depend on what the specific car comes with. With all of these you do lose the top third of the DIS - not sure about most, but I can live with that.

Yeah, CT27AA87 would be the better one, but I'm not quite sure why it's almost twice the price of the ISO connector.

Slightly concerned about that fan on the back. The manual says not to obstruct it, but I think it warrants measuring because I don't recall the dash being that deep, but that it does have a flat back wall to it. Trying to find some dimensions.

I don't have a dual fakra connection on the back of my original wiring... something that audi started in 2006/2007 i believe when they brought in the quad lock connectors

Update on my conversation with Dynamic Sounds:

Mem, from DS, recommended using the CTSAD006.2 harness instead of my original choice - DS-AD002.2, due to the latter having built-in noise suppression cirquit, which will get rid of the nasty hissing sound on fully-amplified BOSE systems (you still need the correct MFSW patch cable for your specific headunit though):
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...-tt-steering-wheel-stalk-control-adaptor.html

The cheaper facia surround that @Ash187 mentioned will work with the stereo cage that is supplied with your chosen HU, but will likely cause the HU to stick out a bit as mentioned earlier in this thread.
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct24au15-audi-a3-car-cd-stereo-surround-fascia-panel.html

He couldn't comment on the double fakra radio adaptor as he had always used the single connector without apparent issues, but given the low cost of this part I'd still try to make use of both fakra connections if my car has them.

Wow, I'm away a few days and the thread grows rapidly!

Thanks for the goldmine of info. I'm going to go this route when the sph-da120 is released, and the cheapest I've found it is £350 as seems to be the same from most places. If you find one cheaper, list it up on here :)

I see a few of you are tempted too, it would be so nice to replace Audi's terrible speach button with Siri or the Android equivalent ^.^