Pinking again

jolly14

Reaction score
Hey guys

Well today was meant to be the day i had my car re-mapped but as we was testing the car we started getting pinking, this was sort of fixed with the laptop magic, 2nd gear was sorted but started in 3rd as i had my foot down in the low rev range but this could not be sorted with adjusting the map so it was decided by both of us that it should go back to standard :3sadwalk:which pi55ed me off as i was pleased with how the car was pulling. I have had new plugs fitted and good fuel, so come on lads & lass's throw me some of your idea's. 1 thing the guy told me was it may be maf meter packing up but the car was scanned but no codes came up.

Thanks in advance Jay

Knock sensor fault ?

Pinking or knocking is monitored by the knock sensor and the ecu will then advance or ****** the timing to suit.

If you don't mind me asking, who's mapping it for you. Is he reputable, as it sounds like a dodgy map.

Knock sensor fault ?

Pinking or knocking is monitored by the knock sensor and the ecu will then advance or ****** the timing to suit.

If you don't mind me asking, who's mapping it for you. Is he reputable, as it sounds like a dodgy map.

The guy has a very good reputation and he really knows his stuff (a forum member) and he was trying to advance the timing to suit but you can only take it so far before it brings performance down which he wasn't prepared to do and to be honest i think the right thing to do. Do you think that a faulty knock sensor could fail but not show up code. Thanks for your prompt reply Andi keep em coming in.

Cheers Jay

The ecu should be able to compensate and pull the timing back automatically.

I don't think faulty knock sensors are that common. And there not exactly cheap to replace on a hunch. But I doubt its the air flow sensor/maf.

I can only think there's a problem with the map.

Sorry I don't think i can help you much more.

Never heard of a knock sensor problem on a VAG 1.8T. MAF problems are common though, & only cause the ECU to throw a code if there's a short or it becomes intermittent. VCDS can log the MAF to see if its within spec. You could also unplug the MAF & see if it runs any better, if there's no difference or it runs worse then your MAF is probably ok.

The guy mapping it should be able to see what the MAF is reading. If the g/s figres are low id suspect a faulty maf. But i can t see how a faulty maf would cause the car to knock.

Have you got the right Spark plugs in the car, are they fairly new ?

Agreed. Spark plugs & coilpacks would be the first thing I'd be looking. Check with Audi to see if your car is covered by the coilpack recall/TSB. Pinking is very bad for engine internals so you need to find out the cause.

Andy25th

It's a little fast to say dodgy map! I carried out the map for Jason, and I sent him home after 2 hours of my time without charging him as he came as I wasn't satisified the car was 100%, many dodgy mappers would take the money and run, also I could have sent him with a sub standard map but i didn't. I also spent over 2 hours of my time without charging him to try and get it resolved and rather than waste each others time chasing our tails, suggested he either brings it back so I can take a proper look at the car or get it looked at.

Jason had the identical car to myself, to which I have spent hours tunning and logging to get a very good map. On initial logging of Jason's car it made good grams on the maf but had around 4-6 cf on the timing pull on the stock map. Some may say this acceptable some say not. It is high as on the A4 9 is the max before pinking will occur.

After flashing the map onto the car, it started pinking very noticeably under load, logging showed 9 cf ! we stopped immediately. Now consider this map on an identical car ran cf's no more than 2, so this meant that something was not right, in the end I ended up removing 8 degrees of timing Just to get it not to pink, that considering its a stage 1 map is a lot and not acceptable.

If I didn't have anything to base this off then I'd say, yes the map is at fault, but like I say the same stage 1 map that I did on my car runs 161grams on the maf and I only had to remove 5 degrees of timing at peak loads to get the cf down to 2.

I appreciate Jason went home empty handed but at least it was safe in knowledge that he won't be driving on bad map , if I had sent him home with it not 100% then that would be inexcusable.

Reactions: A7788
Andy25th

It's a little fast to say dodgy map! I carried out the map for Jason, and I sent him home after 2 hours of my time without charging him as he came as I wasn't satisified the car was 100%, many dodgy mappers would take the money and run, also I could have sent him with a sub standard map but i didn't. I also spent over 2 hours of my time without charging him to try and get it resolved and rather than waste each others time chasing our tails, suggested he either brings it back so I can take a proper look at the car or get it looked at.

Jason had the identical car to myself, to which I have spent hours tunning and logging to get a very good map. On initial logging of Jason's car it made good grams on the maf but had around 4-6 cf on the timing pull on the stock map. Some may say this acceptable some say not. It is high as on the A4 9 is the max before pinking will occur.

After flashing the map onto the car, it started pinking very noticeably under load, logging showed 9 cf ! we stopped immediately. Now consider this map on an identical car ran cf's no more than 2, so this meant that something was not right, in the end I ended up removing 8 degrees of timing Just to get it not to pink, that considering its a stage 1 map is a lot and not acceptable.

If I didn't have anything to base this off then I'd say, yes the map is at fault, but like I say the same stage 1 map that I did on my car runs 161grams on the maf and I only had to remove 5 degrees of timing at peak loads to get the cf down to 2.

I appreciate Jason went home empty handed but at least it was safe in knowledge that he won't be driving on bad map , if I had sent him home with it not 100% then that would be inexcusable.

Hi Dan, i'm so glad you stepped in to explain all the jargon that i don't understand to much, maybe we'll get a few more idea's coming. Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it guy's but i'm dam sure that with all the knowledge coming in we'll soon sort it and then i'm sorry Dan but you'll be seeing me again :yahoo:

Andy25th

Good response:thumbsup:

Andy25th

Apologies.

I was a bit to quick to blame the map. It was only a suggestion, no offence was ment.

Info on the fuel, plugs and plug gaps please.

Cfs of 9 can easily be sorted with the right stuff I've asked for and a decent amount of timing advance.

Info on the fuel, plugs and plug gaps please.

Cfs of 9 can easily be sorted with the right stuff I've asked for and a decent amount of timing advance.

Hi Philw, the plugs were replaced the day before the re-map but it was pinking before they were changed as well and the plugs are the high temp one's and with the correct gap as it's my friends garage that does the work on it, the fuel was good fuel not supermarket sh1t, the guy ( dan) that done the map did advance the timing by quite a bit but said that to much will not do it any good.

Hope you can help cheers Jay

Last edited:
Dan, what boost/AFR was she running? Both of these can have an impact on timing pull.

I have seen excessive knock being detected due to faulty/noisey wiring. But this was eveident before tuning. Given she pulled timing prior to mapping, it might be worth re visiting that. The one Bill rewired he used screened microphone cable from sensor direct to ECU and it sorted the problems, despite the fact the wiring beeped through ok

Pull the boost hose to the throttle body off and see if there is fairly fresh oil there... see this a lot on 20v's these days with a bit of mileage... signs of the turbo getting a little tired and/or the engine breathing heavily

<tuffty/>

I hate not knowing what you guy's are talking about but i will get my mate ( also called tufty ) to check for the oil in the hose, is it an easy job and if oil is found does this mean that the turbo is on its way out, and can the breathing heavy be sorted.

Many thanks guy's........ Jay

I am pinking on full boost too. Watching this thread with intrest!

There are other reasons for timing pull to occur... timing pull like this is most likely from oil getting into the engine from either rings (heavy breathing is a sign) and/or the turbo seals (oil in the TB is a sign of this)

See it all too often on older cars... even ones with 'low mileage'

<tuffty/>

form another thread from the knowledgable Tuffty

Had car checked for heavy breathing but that seems ok, got engine hot but was not blowing smoke from either dipstick or oil filler cap. So now my friend is thinking maybe the timing needs to be checked ie to make sure that when i had a new water pump and cambelt fitted by warranty with the car it was done properly. Can the cambelt be fitted, but not done correctly but it is near enough cause the pinking but can't say i noticed it when it was done. (i feel like i'm rambling on about sh1t now but i don't know how to word it, perhaps i should have concentrated moor at skool ):jester:

Cheers Jay

defo worth a check,, this as with all car related foybles will be a proccess of elimination... keep at it you will get there..

how do you check for heavy breathing?

how do you check for heavy breathing?

Hi bowen, i checked mine by getting the car up to temp and taking out the dipstick while its running and see if its blowing smoke. does your car pink at low revs pulling up a hill mine does this at only these points not loads but i think i notice it more now probs because i'm listening out for it and its driving me f ing mad :jump:

Cheers Jay

Mine pinks under load only so say third gear at 3k rpm?

Mine doesn't heavy breath either.