Pillar Pods

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Looking to get one for the S3 so I can pop a gauge in there - however I can't find one that is a direct fit. I bought a universal one and it was gash so I threw it away.

There are ones available for the Seat Leon, which I believe has the same dash.

Anyone know if it will just fit and go?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Do, different pillar if i rememeber mate.

I bought a universal one, cut and moulded it to the pillar, then fillerd it and sprayed it to match the centre console, only problem is i bought a textured pod so had to filler it all, going to re-do it with a smoothed faced pod so i dont have to use as much filler.

Welly

Tuffty made a decent job of fitting a universal one mate.

Yeah, and that's what I couldn't believe. It must of been a different on to the one I bought - it was about a million times too big to ever fit the pillar.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Yeah, and that's what I couldn't believe. It must of been a different on to the one I bought - it was about a million times too big to ever fit the pillar.

Nope, mine was, its called using a hack saw and heat gun haha.

Welly

Nope, mine was, its called using a hack saw and heat gun haha.

Oh I hacksawed it..... till it 'twas deaded.

I shall by another and try again...

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
Staff member

Welly

Chlippo

tyson

im having a right nightmare fitting one of these its been a week since i started it lol. i used fibreglass. would a hot glue gun do the job of sticking it to the pillar?

Chlippo

Effect

My suggestion is to manufacturer your own using fibre glass and a 2nd hand a pillar off ebay so that you can return it to stock if required.

I did this once for tweeter pods on the wing mirror internal covers on a mondeo and it looked like the car came like that when I had finished. takes a while to do it though due to having to give a couple of coats of fibre glass and waiting for that + filler to heal so that you can sand them but the end result wont look bodged. :)

Chlippo

no one have tried column mounted ??

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
no one have tried column mounted ??

was thinking about it but thought they may just get in the way, im pretty sure a golf one would fit though.
why don't you buy one and we can see how it is and if it works, i might even get one then as my paint has bubbled so need to re-do it anyway

Chlippo

That being said...i will buy one.
I will get the work done to my car around september so will tell u by then.

Chlippo

Chlippo

link to the one you bought?

Chlippo

it seems to be universal
he list the same item to mk4 too...
Nice to know it fits with a bit of trimming.
Lol i cant of cant wait to see if my column pod will fit

Chlippo

The MKIV VW Golf dual gauge column pod "does" fit with a bit of trimming.
pictures to come

Chlippo

a bit too late but i will post the pictures anyway for other members

6845026231_e2a9425ba0.jpg

6845025645_7ed06f577e.jpg

6845025521_3a2ef69640.jpg

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Looks interesting, and it is in your line of sight I guess.

How much does it interfere with your view of the other instruments?

StaceyS3

Looks interesting, and it is in your line of sight I guess.

How much does it interfere with your view of the other instruments?

X2 im interested in these ;)

StaceyS3

Some pics of my pillar pod ;)

Just covered the pillar with a webbed tape so didn't damage the cloth and it also ment it could be pulled off to be cut and smooved out

fcf7d3c3.jpg

9a24b660.jpg

e61c51e0.jpg

18db543d.jpg

The only downside was i cut a hole in the piller for the cables and pipe but besides that is very easy to remove as just clips over the pillar :)

Chlippo

it does interfere a little bit with the rpm red line, depending on your driving position.

I set the seats a bit high and i can see pretty much everything on the cluster...exept the lower part of the DIS.

Everyone that saw it was impressed, including myself. Its really not bad at all.

I didnt mention it in this thread but the pod that came from an MK4, needs a bit of trimming and cutting to get it fitted.