Pictures of my damaged engine

S3_MCD

Reaction score
Went to dealer today and took photos of belt, head and bottom end - not a pretty sight.

Cant get the gallery to upload images?!?!

Anybody fancy posting my pics?

pics:

bottomend.JPG

Damage.JPG

Head.JPG

belt.JPG

Doesn't look too bad, but then I'm no expert. Where is the damage to the valves and the pistons if the cam belt went?

I know nowt either, but it looks like pistons 1 and 4 have dents smacked near their edge where they hit the valves, and the valves on far-left cylinder look like they've got black marks to match.

Don't know what angle valves normally sit at, but none of the ones in the shot look too nicely aligned to me..?

Ok, I see that all 4 pistons have dents, which would explain why all valves look ********. Damn shame, the whole thing.

Looks to me like all of the exhaust valves smacked into the pistons and they are all bent. however I'm not 100% but I would say the damage to the top of the pistons like that wouldn't really cause any problems but I guess as it's apart it's worth sorting.

Ouch!

How many miles you done and does it have FASH?

Had a similar thng happen to my first Corrado (16V). It had been for dealer service and I'd asked them to change the cam belt as it had done 52,000. When my wife picked it up they said no need for the belt as the interval was 80,000, it failed a few months later at 56,000, same thing, 8 valves and 4 pistons. Dealer initially refused to pay as the previous owner had missed one service so they say mileage cannot be verified (?). After reminding them I had asked for a new belt at the last service VW agreed to supply parts at cost and labour FOC. Then they paid a sceond time after making a rough job, dropping a bolt into the belt cover which wore through the new belt, broke it and repeated the damage after just 400 miles!

On talking to dealer yesterday it appears to be cheaper to buy a new unit complete than repair (and g'tee) the damage.

A figure of ~£5k has been quoted, that doesnt include bolt on bits like turbo and pipes etc .... they will come rom existing unit.

Dealer is providing Audi UK with a report so that they can asses their contribution.

Should know by end of week.

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch!

How many miles you done and does it have FASH?

Had a similar thng happen to my first Corrado (16V). It had been for dealer service and I'd asked them to change the cam belt as it had done 52,000. When my wife picked it up they said no need for the belt as the interval was 80,000, it failed a few months later at 56,000, same thing, 8 valves and 4 pistons. Dealer initially refused to pay as the previous owner had missed one service so they say mileage cannot be verified (?). After reminding them I had asked for a new belt at the last service VW agreed to supply parts at cost and labour FOC. Then they paid a sceond time after making a rough job, dropping a bolt into the belt cover which wore through the new belt, broke it and repeated the damage after just 400 miles!

[/ QUOTE ]

FASH with same dealer I bought it from - to be fair to them they are giving me full support.

79K and 3.5 yrs old.... was booked in to have the belt done at 80k (even had a quote from them fro the job) ... was 1 week off booking it in!!!

I would have thought those pistons would clean up in situ.
Sod the g'tee , just get new valves worked in and put it back together. If its done right it'll be ok.
Save yourself a lot of cash too.

Chris.

The problem is and this is the problem I had, you can get just that problem sorted cheaper somewhere else - reconditioned head should be less than £500 with yours as well I'd say however this then means taking it away from Audi and ANY support they might be willing to give, which given what BK1 has said could be quite a lot, also if he gets a new crate engine from Audi (which is sounds like they are suggesting) he will get a 3 year 60,000 mile warranty on the new engine!

The problem is one you leave the Audi dealership it's all your problem and you could end up with an even bigger bill as I did!

Those valves are ******!! Look at the white coloured exhaust valve on cyl 2. Bent to buggery!

To re-use those pistons you would need to machine the tops to remove the dent. The sharp metal dents would act as heat spot and you'd get detonation which is no good in a turbo (or any motor).

Block is okay. Head might be trash if the valve guides have cracked the material around them.

If it were me I'd be fitting a new set of pistions and rebuilding the head, but I have the tools etc. Prob not an option for you.

[ QUOTE ]

FASH with same dealer I bought it from - to be fair to them they are giving me full support.

79K and 3.5 yrs old.... was booked in to have the belt done at 80k (even had a quote from them fro the job) ... was 1 week off booking it in!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So does that mean that as they spec 80,000 they'll be picking up the tab? If so a free new motor is the only option isn't it!

Valves bent to hell and pistons screwed,might aswell replace the engine with a 2nd hander.

quicker and cheaper to drop the sump, replace the pistons, head and valves. The bloke will be fine. Its alot of labour to change the block, when it would take an hour tops to change the pistons!

If it were me, id change it and be done for under £2k...but tools and know-how are valuable!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So does that mean that as they spec 80,000 they'll be picking up the tab? If so a free new motor is the only option isn't it!

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan exactly, Audi UK have requested full report from my dealer so that contribution can be worked out.
Having recieved a further update from the today, they reckon I will know by end of week.

Best to wait and see what audi offer, a good result would be a new engine foc, but if it costs you not much more to replace with new sooner than repair that has to be the right choice.

[ QUOTE ]
quicker and cheaper to drop the sump, replace the pistons, head and valves. The bloke will be fine. Its alot of labour to change the block, when it would take an hour tops to change the pistons!

If it were me, id change it and be done for under £2k...but tools and know-how are valuable!

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with Rich its way cheaper that way, no way i'd spend £5k on a new motor, at the most change the head if guides are bent and ofcourse pistons, it can all be done in situ

Now I know why here in Australia Audi specify 4 years or 90,000km (56,000m) for cam belt change interval. Ask the dealer why that is.

1k 2nd hand motor plus fitting job done.
Otherwise,overbore,forgies,rods,valves 1.9 big turbo kick ***.

Why replace the head if it does not appear damaged?

no need if its not damaged, but if it is...AGU head with the above. No better time to mod than when something goes bang!

There are other largeport heads other than agu if anyone is going that route.

[ QUOTE ]
No better time to mod than when something goes bang!

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed go cheer yourself up with some more horses

a complete second hand engine may have its own problems, for minimal costs replace what needs replacing, upgrade if the budget allows

Plenty of decent engines from breakers.

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of decent engines from breakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

okelidokolie , just saying from personal headaches , but is true you can find some gems in breakers get looking chap

[ QUOTE ]
no need if its not damaged, but if it is...AGU head with the above. No better time to mod than when something goes bang!

[/ QUOTE ]

Head (according to dealer) is damaged and would need a rebore.

If I was intending to have to pay for it myself, agree totally... make it bigger and better. BUT I am going to be trying Audi UK for a new engine, plus I have a 2.4 A6 loaner from my dealer, which is saving me best part of 150 pw I was spending on hiring a fiesta!!

Ideal scenario - new engine from AUK, reduced labour cost from dealer to fit, loaner from dealer for this period, full Audi warranty on new engine, OLD engine in boot for development project.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

good plan will get you on the road quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Good luck - however you will not get the bits back I'm afraid, even the short engine I got from AmD (Audi Part) was on an exchange only basis so I assume it's the same for the whole engines. I wanted my block for a table!

Nice table. Reminds me of a mate who once stripped his 16v Vaux engine in his living room. His missus didn't bat an eyelid.
I can't walk into mine with my shoes on !

Chris.

Audi UK have the damage report form my dealer .... have been advised that assesment should be made by end of day.

Everybody - fingers crossed please
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

All the best.

If you have any warranty with the S3 then you may be in luck. If not the best you may get is 50% of the parts from Audi UK and a reduced labour charge from the delaer. I was fortunate to still be covered under warranty when mine went and they footed the 6k bill. On a side note you may want to get your clutch and flywheel checked/replaced whilst the engine is out as after 80K it could probably do with being investigated. I managed to get this included when my engine was done.

Good luck fella

OK, Audi UK didnt call .... first time they havent done what they said they would do.

Will be giving them a call in the morning.

Chris - Dealer is Swindon Audi, lots of respect for them and their techs (Eddie). They have already sorted reduced labour charge and am currently driving a courtesy A6 2.4 leather and toys .... which I am very thankful for.

Will let y'all know where its up to tomorrow morning.

Good luck with that,
I am currently in dispute with a dealership and Head office as I need a new engine which would appear to be a result of the dealership failing to rectify a fault I sent it in with 3 times.

Each of those 3 times it was under warranty. 3 months after the warranty expired I am told i need a new engine as diagnosed by a different dealership.

White smoke was the original problem, I am told that this is commonly a failing head gasket. Now i find myself with a cracked head, cracked manifold and a washed bore so apparently the rings have had it too.

Same as you were quoted - 5500 for a new engine. I have suggested that either the original delaership that couldn't rectify the white smoke might want to pay for it or a retrospective warranty. The original dealership reckons that nothing was done wrong.

Got the director of Audi UK involved - recieved a letter which essentially said ' you're on your own son, but if you want to buy a new car let me know and I'll see what I can do about a discount'.

Am presently still fighting this one and have been without a car for nearly 5 weeks now.