**PICS** Standard v S-Line suspension

RVP20

Reaction score
Ok so this topic has been discussed many times but I thought if get people to share their opinions once again on what they prefer and more importantly post pictures showing both suspension setups.
Do you think the standard (lowered by 15mm) looks any different from the option S-Line suspension (lowered by an extra 10mm)?

Pics please guys and girls 👍

I've gone for sport suspension on my A3 S line. Have 8P A3 sport at present and looks fine and handles OK. Had a A4 Quattro S Line a few years ago and was very hard on the fillings on rough roads!!!! Go drive - looks aren't everything!!!!

My pics on pic thread Recently (Misano red sportsback) are S line with Sports suspension, was I bit worried might look to high, but looks great. I am not sure if extra 10mm lower will look even better, but if you avoid SE set up on S line then I don't think it comprises the looks and have found the ride and handling is excellent on my setup and I honestly have no regrets and am so glad I went for the sports set up. Is sporty / comfy and easy to live with but still looks great.

Looks good 👍

Would 10mm be that noticeable? Any more pics?

[SUP]also my s-line suspension is on thread of pictures of 8v [/SUP]

Aesthetics wise, i think the S-Line setup makes the wheels fill the arches better, although not a huge difference i prefer the look. Ride wise its more noticable as the car just feels tighter round the corners. When i did a test drive it was in a sport with sport setup and, although it wasn't wobbly or anything, it just didn't feel as chuckable. My last couple of cars have been quite firm so i'm used to the ride. Saying that, its not uncomfortable.

Mmmm, let me be the devil's avocate then and state that's because Audi cannot build a car that handles properly in the first case. There are manufacturers who can, for less, and get it right first time...

1453463_10202074454694496_1170629991_n.jpg
s/line with deleted sport suspension,handles ok for me,then again I am an old fart.had an A1 sport,and the setup was very hard.

Reactions: DrTS
Argh I'm still undecided. I've visited many dealers but none have the s-line suspension car in....only the sports suspension. What to do 😰

Where a outs are you from? Maybe someone on here is local to you and could show you? I have s-line and I love it ! Yes you feel bumps but they are firmly cushioned

Where a outs are you from? Maybe someone on here is local to you and could show you? I have s-line and I love it ! Yes you feel bumps but they are firmly cushioned

I'm in the north west. Could you please send me a pic of your s-line suspension?

1453463_10202074454694496_1170629991_n.jpg
s/line with deleted sport suspension,handles ok for me,then again I am an old fart.had an A1 sport,and the setup was very hard.
Haha it looks like a monster truck! Mines the s line suspension and very low and the wheels fill the arches nicely. The handling is superb and i have no issues with hard ride

Haha it looks like a monster truck! Mines the s line suspension and very low and the wheels fill the arches nicely. The handling is superb and i have no issues with hard ride

I've looked closely at the SE and S-line photos above and tbh struggling to spot the 1" difference. To me the SE is not immediately obvious and is not a concern for affecting the looks.

Reactions: cemerson
Thanks guys 😄 has anyone got pics of the sport suspension?

my sport suspension on Daytona - should wbe a good comparisan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 733
  • DSCN9281.jpg
    DSCN9281.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 668
I guess the obvious thing is you drive a car not look at it.........Do you want firm suspension or smooth comfortable suspension?

Very difficult to tell with wheel angles and cars on slopes. No choice on S3 so stuck with low!!

These views might be better....but as stated it is more about how the ride feels than how low to the ground the car appears

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 801
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 750
I've ordered s-line as used to feel and look. Drive a 3 series msport now and had an A4 sline prior, but did have to think twice. Head or hart. Head says nice and comfy. Heart says hard, fast, looks best and you only live once... S-line it is.

I've ordered s-line as used to feel and look. Drive a 3 series msport now and had an A4 sline prior, but did have to think twice. Head or hart. Head says nice and comfy. Heart says hard, fast, looks best and you only live once... S-line it is.

Haha that's what my feelings are! But I hear the s-line suspension is very hard?

Just a quick note: I have finally been spending some time in our new A3 with the S-line suspension. It is "firm," so to speak, but in my opinion it is not rough or uncomfortable at all. You notice bumps in the road, sure, but they are nicely dampened by the suspension. Who knows how it will feel in 10 years, but we will only have the car for three and I'm sure it will be fine for that period. This is on German roads, but includes a pretty wide variety of smooth autobahns as well as rough city streets. Personally, I would not hesitate to order the S-line suspension, and don't notice a huge difference between it and the sport that we test drove. Just my experience...GS

Just a quick note: I have finally been spending some time in our new A3 with the S-line suspension. It is "firm," so to speak, but in my opinion it is not rough or uncomfortable at all. You notice bumps in the road, sure, but they are nicely dampened by the suspension. Who knows how it will feel in 10 years, but we will only have the car for three and I'm sure it will be fine for that period. This is on German roads, but includes a pretty wide variety of smooth autobahns as well as rough city streets. Personally, I would not hesitate to order the S-line suspension, and don't notice a huge difference between it and the sport that we test drove. Just my experience...GS

Hey thanks for that! I guess it will be more firmer so to speak on British roads? Also can you tell the difference by eye from the sport to s-line suspension?

Hey thanks for that! I guess it will be more firmer so to speak on British roads? Also can you tell the difference by eye from the sport to s-line suspension?

Still unsure!

I'll wager that the experience should be similar. The ratio of bad to good roads may be higher, but the overall effect should be the same. The car is still new, but I have not yet had a "that was rough!" moment. It actually occurred to me as we were driving through a small town with pretty bad roads that I had forgotten to pay attention to the suspension. I was originally concerned about the S-line suspension (after what I had read here), but I'm totally over it now. I think if you did a forum search, you would be hard pressed to find someone who went with the S-line and wishes they had downgraded. Maybe that is us just justifying our decisions to ourselves, but I doubt it? :)Regarding the looks, I do think you can tell the difference (just pay attention to the shape/size of the arc created between the top of the tire and the wheel well). In a word, I think the SE suspension looks high, sport looks good, and S-line looks low. I think either one is fine, and you probably won't notice it much in day to day life...GS

I'll wager that the experience should be similar. The ratio of bad to good roads may be higher, but the overall effect should be the same. The car is still new, but I have not yet had a "that was rough!" moment. It actually occurred to me as we were driving through a small town with pretty bad roads that I had forgotten to pay attention to the suspension. I was originally concerned about the S-line suspension (after what I had read here), but I'm totally over it now. I think if you did a forum search, you would be hard pressed to find someone who went with the S-line and wishes they had downgraded. Maybe that is us just justifying our decisions to ourselves, but I doubt it? :)Regarding the looks, I do think you can tell the difference (just pay attention to the shape/size of the arc created between the top of the tire and the wheel well). In a word, I think the SE suspension looks high, sport looks good, and S-line looks low. I think either one is fine, and you probably won't notice it much in day to day life...GS

Hey I really appreciate that feedback! I'm just worried that if I choose the sport suspension I may regret it thinking it looks too high. Saying that....if i go for s-line suspension I will love the looks but it will be very rough. If there's not much in it by eye I may opt for sport!😁

I'd advise you ignore any concerns about looks and concentrate on how you'll feel driving the car every day. As Gswearengin says, Sport looks good anyway so this is a non-issue. Take Sport and you will be delighted.

Reactions: Daveotto
Exactly, everyone here has there own opinion and that might mean you end up choosing the wrong suspension. Drive the car first before you decide...

Another consideration is maybe ground clearance... I know that 10mm isn't a lot but where we live is very rural (even grass in the middle of the road on some lanes near the house...)! and my previous 8P S line was low and bottomed out occasionally. It was also quite hard riding on our rough country roads... So, I was delighted to be able to choose a slightly 'softer' suspension on the 8V, that isn't quite so low. It also means I won't have to fret quite so much approaching sleeping policemen in town or parking front on up to kerbs... I think most people couldn't tell the difference in looks between Sport and S line set ups and IMHO Sport is an ideal compromise...

Another consideration is maybe ground clearance... I know that 10mm isn't a lot but where we live is very rural (even grass in the middle of the road on some lanes near the house...)! and my previous 8P S line was low and bottomed out occasionally. It was also quite hard riding on our rough country roads... So, I was delighted to be able to choose a slightly 'softer' suspension on the 8V, that isn't quite so low. It also means I won't have to fret quite so much approaching sleeping policemen in town or parking front on up to kerbs... I think most people couldn't tell the difference in looks between Sport and S line set ups and IMHO Sport is an ideal compromise...

'Good point well made Barbara'
I live on a steep hill so I drive my car down a long steep driveway so maybe the standard suspension will help. I love this forum 😄

Does anyone have any detailed pics of the s-line suspension? I've seen loads of the standard sport suspension but struggling to find the lowest setting. 😊

I'm sure if you actually go to a dealer you can loan an s-line and test it on the drive?

RVP,

How detailed do you need it to be? Do you want pics with a tape measure to show ground clearence etc?

I can try and get some of my s-line on s-line tonight if i'm home while its still light.

Si.

RVP,

How detailed do you need it to be? Do you want pics with a tape measure to show ground clearence etc?

I can try and get some of my s-line on s-line tonight if i'm home while its still light.

Si.

😄 I'm just wondering what it looks like as no dealership near me has the s-line suspension they only have the standard sport that it comes with.

Kept mine standard which I think is the middle of the road sport isn't it? but I drive regularly and live in the area around Glasgow (including the M8 motorway itself) where some of the roads are truly atrocious for holes and inverted potholes i.e. speedramps and no regrets.

RVP,

Hope these photos are of some use to you.

Front

Front clearence - approx 190mm

Side

Rear

Rear clearence - approx 200mm

Wheel arch clearence

Ground to top of arch - 660mm
Top of wheel to top of arch - 50mm

Car is S-Line on S-Line suspension with standard 18" S-Line wheels and conti tyres.

For those of you who are a bit confused, yes, that is blue sky in Aberdeenshire :)

Si.

Last edited: