PICS OF MY INSTALL!!

I

imported_AudiAuto

Here are some pics of my install, finished it yesterday. Had to put the tweeters on the door because they were way too big to put in the oem slot. The speakers are Diamond Audio M651 components.

sorry couldnt attach. try again. another one! lol

yea its a cd changer but its not screwed anywhere tho. i gotta work out somewhere where i can mount it properly, at the moment its just sitting in that space. was thinking about putting it on top of the standard sub in the left compartment, but the changer cable won't reach that far. might see if i can just mount it on the back seat.

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Hmm without sounding nasty.

I've seen better.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, without sounding nasty either, i've seen better S3's, but there's no point in making that comment, cos generally anything we see (anything, not just cars), we r always going to have seen one better somewhere else, so it's irrevelant saying it. I just posted pics, never said it was a wicked install or anything.......

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Hmm without sounding nasty.

I've seen better.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, without sounding nasty either, i've seen better S3's, but there's no point in making that comment, cos generally anything we see (anything, not just cars), we r always going to have seen one better somewhere else, so it's irrevelant saying it. I just posted pics, never said it was a wicked install or anything.......

[/ QUOTE ]

he's not got a s3! sorry about that. happy with ur install then? i take it you dont need to use ur boot then!!!!

cheers tony

lol no, i don't. im a student, so just me in the car normally. my mistake i thought it was S3 . well whatever A3 he has then....

no its pretty much finished, just gotta mount the cd changer properly somewhere, so it looks neater, and also somehow hide the connections to the amps.

have you mounted the amps on mdf? if you have then you could drill hole in it so all the wiring is underneath out of sight! good luck with it anyway....

cheers tony

[ QUOTE ]
S3tony said:
have you mounted the amps on mdf? if you have then you could drill hole in it so all the wiring is underneath out of sight! good luck with it anyway....

cheers tony

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i have, i don't think u can tell from the pic but there are holes in the mdf for the cables to go through. but where the cables actually connect to the amp, i need something to cover that bit so it doesn't look messy.

how about re carpeting around the amps might hide some cables a bit more!

cheers tony

yea thats what i was thinking, or possibly making some sort of cover, thanks for the suggestion tho..

yeah but i reckon it would look good! could get a carbon fibre look to keep the cost down!?

cheers tony

Hay pimp how they ****** hell are you supposed to get your shopping in the back??.

hide your cables m8, also, ever thought how easy it would be for some rouge to come along and take it out????

Not plugging but most on here know about the £12k system I had in my audi and the time it took to do. The hours spent were into the 200+ man hours in one go by three of us!!! well worth the time and I'm gutted that I actully took it out. One suggestion, is to take any tips you get and think about them before you put them into play.

My girlfriend still has problems opening my boot lid due to the weight of materials in it to help sound quality inside the car!!!

If you can, deffo make a false floor so you only see the tops of the amps. It'll look nice.

You gotta find a better place for the changer, simply because it'll jump too much.

The only thing I maybe wouldn't have done was mount the 6x9s on the standard parcel shelf. I would have gone for a stealth shelf, so you don't get the attention of thieves when its parked up.
Also route the rear shelf wires through the sides as it looks neater.

Bet it sounds nice tho!!

you know my feelings on 6x9s so i wont comment on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

glad to see there isnt a cap in there though fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ever thought of going ported?

Yeah a false floor is required to hide the wiring and maybe bridge the section between the sub boxes.

The changer could maybe be moved the factory position behind the left had panel?

In my opinion the 6*9's want ditching and the standard parcel shelf should be returned.

Finally where you have mounted the tweeters is a big no no, too far down they should ideally be 6 inches up your A pillars.

Sorry for the negative comments, but I just thought I would add my input.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
If you can, deffo make a false floor so you only see the tops of the amps. It'll look nice.

You gotta find a better place for the changer, simply because it'll jump too much.

The only thing I maybe wouldn't have done was mount the 6x9s on the standard parcel shelf. I would have gone for a stealth shelf, so you don't get the attention of thieves when its parked up.

Bet it sounds nice tho!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it sounds wicked!, thanx to the diamond audio speakers and phoenix gold amp to run them, cost £800 in uk for the amp and speakers, got it for just under £300 from U.S! also, i know about the 6x9's, lol had enough comments on that! tho i must admit it was a mistake now. when i had my last car, i upgraded the standard 6x9's the car had factory fitted. and i had infinity components (about £100) at the front, running of the HU. so the 6x9's sounded really good, especially to balance out the sound image. when i got this car, i didn't have the diamond audio components yet, as they were on order. so i put the 6x9's in, thinking that like in my last car i would need them to balance the sound stage. but when i put the d/audio's in when i finally got them, due to them not only being 10x's better then the infinty's, but also amped so are 3x louder as well, i realised that my 6x9's weren't doing anything! if anything, when i moved the fader about 60/40 to the front (like how i had in my last car), it actually ruined the SQ. so now i just have the fader all to the front, the d/audios can cope with everything, and my 6x9's r obsolete. lol but i have done the holes on parcel shelf now, so have to live with it till i find a new parcel shelf....

the changer, i know, its just temp. i only finished everything else last week, just gotta find time to finish off the little things like mounting changer/tidyin up the cabling for the 6x9's etc

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:

Bet it sounds nice tho!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i did seriously think about the false floor, maybe at a later date...

the changer, suprisingly enough considering there are 2 subs blasting either side, has never, i mean NEVER, jumped even once when listening to it, even in my previous cars. but i am still gonna mount it properly somewhere, just when i get some time. see above for wires.

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Yeah a false floor is required to hide the wiring and maybe bridge the section between the sub boxes.

The changer could maybe be moved the factory position behind the left had panel?

In my opinion the 6*9's want ditching and the standard parcel shelf should be returned.

Finally where you have mounted the tweeters is a big no no, too far down they should ideally be 6 inches up your A pillars.

Sorry for the negative comments, but I just thought I would add my input.

[/ QUOTE ]

cd changer, that was my first thought to mount it there, but a)the changer cable doesn't reach that far unless i get an extension, which i dont even know r available and b)smaller problem but i couldn't see a simple way to get the changer cable to come inside the compartment, but then again didn't really look thoroughly tho as i knew i couldnt do it anyway cos the cable was too short

section between subs, this is one of the things i am most unhappy with. when i done it, i thought i would mount that pheonix gold amp in that gap, cos all 3 amps wouldn't fit onto the amp shelf i made. but when i got the amp, it was tiny and managed to fit in, as you can see from the pic. i thought about mounting the changer there, but i really wanna mount it in the left compartment. so i think im just gonna make something out of mdf and carpet it to fill up the gap. or maybe put a powercap there...... just joking Dean T....:)

tweeters, i know, but the 'panel' that runs along the top of the door, where the door handle and the oem tweeters are located, would have been perfect. but that panel has a very slight curve to it, so couldn't get the tweeter brackets to mount flush. they were also too big to go in the oem spots. and im also usless at any sort of moulding/fiberglass etc so making my own custom brackets was out of the question. but the crossover does have a +2db setting, if u mount them lower down, so i put it on that and they sound brilliant. obviously it would sound even better if they were ear level, but oh well, u can't have it all.......

Where do you put your shopping? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks good mate, if your happy with it then thats all that matters. Its better than my standard setup for sure!

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:what do u mean by ported?

[/ QUOTE ]

a sub box with a vent (port)

this was my old ported box (obviously in the build stage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif );

413751_32_full.jpg

i moved from two sealed Rockford Fosgate 15s taking about 1.2kw to a single 12" RE HC taking around 1.5kw running ported, tuned to 33hzand it was evil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

a well designed ported box can out gun 2 sealed subs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i didn't know it made that much diff, i just thought that sum subs were desinged to be run ported, and some just sealed. will give it a try when i save up some money to buy a ported box.

buying one is no good chap

a ported box will have to be designed to match the sub

DO NOT ever buy an 'off the shelf' ported box, they will more than likely make your sub sound [censored] and in extreme cases may also kill the sub

i'd take a look at the web site of whoever makes your subs and see if they can supply details on the measurements of a ported box

be warned though, ported boxes are much bigger than a sealed one

the one which i had for my 12" was around 2.8cu. ft. including driver and port displacement

dean,

what u said about where i mounted the tweeters, and my reply to that, what do you think about it? any suggestions? i think im right in saying it should be 0db if at ear level, -2db if its REALLY close to ear level, and +2db if they are lower down, as a lot of people r putting them near feet level in kick builds, with the speaker and tweeter both pointing to the ears, and the +2db setting to compensate for them being further away. let me know your thoughts, mine are mid way down, pointing up, on +2db jumper setting. you got your install on your car still? if u have, do u have any pics?