Pickup before or wait for '67' plate

Nham68

Reaction score
S4 arrives at dealer in about 3 weeks...

Any financial impact of '17' vs '67' plate ? I don't care about having latest plate, not into snob factors.. but if after 2-3 years it makes a key financial difference to resealed value, then I can wait 2 weeks... I doubt it does, just be good to get opinions

Any financial impact of '17' vs '67' plate ? I don't care about having latest plate, not into snob factors.. but if after 2-3 years it makes a key financial difference to resealed value, then I can wait 2 weeks... I doubt it does, just be good to get opinions

I'm in a similar boat because my car will likely be at my dealer in the next week.

I don't know how much actual financial impact it'll make, but I imagine it would just make it a little more attractive when sat next to a comparable '17 plate car so in that regard could make it easier to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to trade it in? If so it makes no difference at all. If you are privately selling it might make a very small difference imo. If it's a week or so then maybe just for driveway bragging rights but other than that don't worry about it, just get your new motor as fast as you can!

Are you going to trade it in? If so it makes no difference at all. If you are privately selling it might make a very small difference imo. If it's a week or so then maybe just for driveway bragging rights but other than that don't worry about it, just get your new motor as fast as you can!

Why wouldn't it matter if you trade it in...?

I noticed a drop of about £500 in trade in on my S5 from Feb to March...definitely worth waiting IMO....

Reactions: Daggerit
We collected ours today as we can't wait for the new reg, from doing some research it looks as if it wont make to much difference in the long run.

Doesn't it get registered before you sign the finance papers so you haven't got a choice?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Doesn't it get registered before you sign the finance papers so you haven't got a choice?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you arrange to wait then they'll hold off registering it until it can be allocated a '67 plate. I did this with my A4 when I got it on a '62 plate.

5-700 less I was waiting till sept but dealer offered first service and free gap to take it to make his numbers for end of June.

I would 100% wait... in fact I am myself! Mine arrived at the dealer early this week. The way I see it, it's 7 weeks wait to be completely satisfied, rather than risk even a smidgen of regret if you went now.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Pick it up and enjoy it now! There are not many on the road (I’ve not seen another yet) get it out there !

It’s just a plate, now they are every 6months it’s almost irrelevant if it was the yearly 18plate it would be a different story

Reactions: Joetidman and Spaceman_RS3
Depends how long you are keeping the car, the depreciation curve flattens out in later life. Personally I couldn't be bothered to wait for all the difference it would make. I tend to sell my cars at 7-8 years old anyway. :)

I would say none whatsover. With six monthly plate changes there will be little financial difference between now and September. Go for it now.

Reactions: Joetidman
I know its a sensible question but it still does my head in....

why not wait 2 weeks, a year or 2 or 3...... keep your current car even and save even more money

If you want the car get it. If your not bothered then wait.

Enjoy the car that's all that matters.

Reactions: ub7rm
I know its a sensible question but it still does my head in....

why not wait 2 weeks, a year or 2 or 3...... keep your current car even and save even more money

If you want the car get it. If your not bothered then wait.

Enjoy the car that's all that matters.

Why should it do your head in ? I was asking only about financial impact, if any... chill out man....

5-700 less I was waiting till sept but dealer offered first service and free gap to take it to make his numbers for end of June.

My S4 is ready now but I've got a lease running at the moment for two months. Asked the dealer if they can lessen the blow of having two leases at the same time because I really want my s4 now!

Hopefully get an answer on Monday.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and scotty76
How much do you trust your dealer? Most don't have excess space for car storage so it increases the risk of bodywork damage (and they may fix it and you don't notice a less than 100% repair until after you have taken ownership), or staff needing to move it and then going for a quick blast...

How much do you trust your dealer? Most don't have excess space for car storage so it increases the risk of bodywork damage (and they may fix it and you don't notice a less than 100% repair until after you have taken ownership), or staff needing to move it and then going for a quick blast...

I've seen pictures of my car. It's still got the wrap on it and plastic all inside. They have said they will prepare it a few days before I collect. Also no plates.

If you register in August rather than September it will typically take a double months hit on depreciation. Not an exact science but say you keep the car for 3 years and buy and sell in the same month probably not a problem but if you buy in september 17 (67 plate) and sell in July/August 2020 I reckon you may be a few hundred better off waiting. Just my 2p. Same goes for change of year and March plate change.

My S4 is ready now but I've got a lease running at the moment for two months. Asked the dealer if they can lessen the blow of having two leases at the same time because I really want my s4 now!

Hopefully get an answer on Monday.

They won't budge. Say they are happy to wait till September :(

Collecting the A4 on Sept 1st. Only 6 weeks to go.

Reactions: Car_Allowance and Daggerit
I've decided today to take mine early, rather than wait until 1st September

It's at the UK docks, so will be ready for pick up at dealer in the next week to ten days

I've decided today to take mine early, rather than wait until 1st September

It's at the UK docks, so will be ready for pick up at dealer in the next week to ten days

NO. Solidarity! You've buckled!

I'm very close to persuading my wife....

I am weak-willed at the thought of a shiny shiny new car :D

Reactions: Rocksteve69
I've buckled too and will be collecting mine this Friday hopefully. Dealer did offer free driven delivery to Scotland but I didn't want someone else driving my baby 400 miles before I even get a go. So I'm flying down to get it.

Asked the dealer if I can get a lift from the airport to the dealer and they said no :eek: I would have thought better service for £40k+ car, considering the fuel and personnel cost they are saving by me flying down on my own dime!

That's a bit rubbish - how far from the airport to the dealer?

About 40 miles which will cost about £50 in an Uber. They did offer to drive my S4 to the airport though to deliver it to me. I'm like, I'm trying to avoid people driving my S4 before I do ***.

I know when my Dad was getting his last Mercedes from a dealer down South they offered to pay for his flights and picked him up at the airport in an S class. His car was an S class so slightly more expensive than my S4 I guess hah

About 40 miles which will cost about £50 in an Uber. They did offer to drive my S4 to the airport though to deliver it to me. I'm like, I'm trying to avoid people driving my S4 before I do ***.

I know when my Dad was getting his last Mercedes from a dealer down South they offered to pay for his flights and picked him up at the airport in an S class. His car was an S class so slightly more expensive than my S4 I guess hah

But still, I thought they'd offer to meet you at the airport in your own car or something? Then you could drop off the driver?

@Car_Allowance have you asked about getting the car transported up here? When my mum bought her car from down south we agreed to pay for the car to be driven up the road on a flat bed so that they don't drive it before we do.

The dealer arranged it all and said it would be approx £600, but would bill us once they had the exact price from the company doing the transportation. Well the car was delivered in pristine condition, as described on a flat bed and no bill EVER arrived from the dealer for transport costs....that was 2.5 years ago now! ;)

Reactions: Car_Allowance
@Car_Allowance have you asked about getting the car transported up here? When my mum bought her car from down south we agreed to pay for the car to be driven up the road on a flat bed so that they don't drive it before we do.

The dealer arranged it all and said it would be approx £600, but would bill us once they had the exact price from the company doing the transportation. Well the car was delivered in pristine condition, as described on a flat bed and no bill EVER arrived from the dealer for transport costs....that was 2.5 years ago now! ;)

Hah I'm afraid I've never been that lucky and I'm not brace enough to take the risk!. The flights aren't that much. Just a flybe job so £60 each. Wife wants to come along and the kid is off school so times three. Will be a fun drive back up at least!

I got my current leased A4 through National Vehicle Solutions based in Newcastle, who ordered it through their local dealer. I couldn't be much further away if I tried, down here in Worthing on the south coast! It made the journey down on a car transporter which was quite entertaining when it arrived at my house. They didn't charge me anything for that which to this day I can't believe, the petrol and driver time costs must have taken a big chunk out of their broker commission :/

Reactions: Car_Allowance
I got my current leased A4 through National Vehicle Solutions based in Newcastle, who ordered it through their local dealer. I couldn't be much further away if I tried, down here in Worthing on the south coast! It made the journey down on a car transporter which was quite entertaining when it arrived at my house. They didn't charge me anything for that which to this day I can't believe, the petrol and driver time costs must have taken a big chunk out of their broker commission :/

I just wish once....just once when I find out which dealer has the best deal the geezer emails back saying 'It's the main branch in Glasgow/Edinburgh'

I just wish once....just once when I find out which dealer has the best deal the geezer emails back saying 'It's the main branch in Glasgow/Edinburgh'

I take it that's where you are then? My deal was from Aberdeen Audi which is at least a little closer than most for you. I got a deal on carwow and they all but matched it so it ended up being cheaper overall when I included the flight down and drive back up for the original deal. Adam Sinclair was the guy who sorted the deal out for me and having dealt with him a couple times now I'd recommend him. :)

Pick up confirmed for Friday. Don't think I've ever been so excited about anything...going from a 1.6TDi Golf to this monster :D

Reactions: Daggerit and Rocksteve69
Picked the beast up yesterday and love it :) had a mad day. Managed to miss my flight but got on the next one (for a big premium).

Then took 10 hours to drive up to Scotland. The traffic was insane. Luckily I got to stretch her legs after Manchester.

32.8 mpg over the whole trip. Not bad.

I have noticed a lot of wind noise at high speeds from the driver side door. Anyone else?