Picked up my S3 this morning + Build Thread

I went for the tyres based on your recommendation Alex and glad I did too!

Unsure if you felt much of a difference going from the standard S3 rims to the 1.2s but I felt A LOT of difference going from black edition rotors to these. I did read the BE rotors were something like 25kg each, unsure if thats completely true but they were much heavier than the 1.2s, which are around 9kg each I believe.

Can really feel that weight saving transition to the road as well.

Reactions: S3Alex
I went for the tyres based on your recommendation Alex and glad I did too!

Unsure if you felt much of a difference going from the standard S3 rims to the 1.2s but I felt A LOT of difference going from black edition rotors to these. I did read the BE rotors were something like 25kg each, unsure if thats completely true but they were much heavier than the 1.2s, which are around 9kg each I believe.

Can really feel that weight saving transition to the road as well.

To be honest,a LOT had been done to the suspension on mine at that point,and the wheels and tyres were just a part of that,so all I could say was that there was a huge improvement overall,but not where the biggest improvement came from(the suspension was changed to Clubsports,and the geometry changed as well).

What is noticeable is how close the Supersports to something like the R888s,which is surprising,although the R888s are much grippier when hot,where the SS's will begin to understeer.
In the wet,it's a different story,so for an all-rounder,I think the SS's are a great tyre.

Time for an update as things have been moving along as of late.

Firstly, I had a water meth kit fitted by the guys at Midland VW, just a couple of pics that I grabbed from their facebook page;

Chris did a superb job on the fit, he is a perfectionist and it showed in the fitting.

Secondly, big brakes!

Supplied by Dave B and fitted again by Midland VW.

Before;

After, just been washed so ignore the brake disc colour!

They fitted behind the TD1.2s without spacers too and still have plenty of room. I had spacers on hand just in case but thankfully I didnt need them;

The brakes work, extremely well. Lots of an improvement over the standard set up. Coming from a mk2 leon cupra I was always disappointed with the brakes on the S3, no real bite!

Reactions: s3_trev and S3Alex
Lastly, I also had a different map.

Previously had Revo at 2+ and it never made the torque it was meant to, even with the DSG map it only made 310lb/ft. :(

I knew the next step for me was to finally get a custom map.

After a recommendation I went with R Tech, fairly close to me and they were able to write custom software for the DSG as well as the engine.

I went to see Nik at R Tech and after having a chat with him I was booked in for a DSG and engine remap. He recommended I get water meth and also an RS4 valve to help with fuel pressure, which I did.

My first appointment was for the DSG map and the map pretty much sits like this;

Launch control RPM set to 3900 rpm (60% throttle gives 3200)
Torque limit raised to ~650nm
Increased gear change speed ~35% (I think!)
No kickdown in 'M'
6 speed gear change has been amended so it doesn't drop into 6th too early.
'S' mode is now basically my quarter mile mode.

Someone on here may recognise the above settings only too well - if you read this then thanks for a cracking map :D

I was seriously impressed with Nik, he changed the map whilst I looked on - I could only compare what he was doing to the green screen in the matrix. He was picking out shift points in the code as well as the torque limiter, talking me through the whole process as he did it. I was nodding but the majority went over my head lol.

Prior to going into R Tech I was told I needed to get my car back to standard maps for both DSG and engine. I really cant believe that people drive these cars around standard, sooo boring. For 2 weeks I had to drive my S3 like this.

After the DSG map, it helped liven up the car, more than I thought it would.

A week or so later I was back for the engine map.

The car made 293bhp on the standard map (with 2+ mods, WMI wasnt set up at this point).

After Nik had worked his magic it had 370bhp and 390lb/ft. Needless to say I could definitely feel the extra 80lb/ft of torque over the previous map.

For me now its custom maps all the way.

I would definitely recommend the guys at R Tech for mapping. Whilst I was there some guys had drove up from Essex way just to get one of Niks maps - he is very well regarded.

Reactions: s3_trev, S., Dan-Jnr and 1 other person
Good read! Glad someone else is putting the map to good use!

Is that the final set up now mate or is there still more to come??

Reactions: Dean_T and dannyAshcroft89
I need to take a look at the WMI system as it isnt spraying properly, Nik seemed to think there may be a blockage or possibly a kink in the line somewhere - this may help get a bit more power top end.

Mods wise, next up is a boost/oil temp guage - just need to find a good one that suits the oem look.

After that possibly ARBs and maybe replacing the stock shocks, springs are already done - dont want to go to coilovers so maybe some Konis.

Hello mate just read u are going to put s boost/oil temp gauge on your car I have just bought them both from glowshift don't know if any good but both change 7 different colours but I hope u have better luck finding gauge pod holder than I did

Hello mate just read u are going to put s boost/oil temp gauge on your car I have just bought them both from glowshift don't know if any good but both change 7 different colours but I hope u have better luck finding gauge pod holder than I did

NewSouth make pods to fit on the steering column,and Awesome market them here if I remember.

I need to take a look at the WMI system as it isnt spraying properly, Nik seemed to think there may be a blockage or possibly a kink in the line somewhere - this may help get a bit more power top end.

Mods wise, next up is a boost/oil temp guage - just need to find a good one that suits the oem look.

After that possibly ARBs and maybe replacing the stock shocks, springs are already done - dont want to go to coilovers so maybe some Konis.
Sounds good mate! One would look nice in one of the vents!

You can check the lines ok and pumping correctly by removing the pipe out the nozzle, it's on a push fitting so push the collar towards the fitting an pull the pipe out. Then start the system up and hold the test button, this purges the system and will run for around 2-3 seconds do it a few times to make sure everything's ok, if it's working ok you will find it doesn't half shoot out the pipe, stand clear and have it pointing away from the car lol.

If it's not that it can be the nozzle which you can take apart an check the filter is clean.

Hope that gets it's working ok!

You need to beat a 12.1s next year at pop... Hayden still has the record for that but no car no..lol

I am glad you are happy dude, when u get some free time we will check the wmi setup.

Reactions: Dean_T
oh..... and the wife loves here new brakes on her ED30 cheers

Reactions: Dean_T
Yep! That's it and the car no longer exists as a 12.2 machine, that time will be easily beaten in the new R...

The mk7 R will be an amazing car tuned if they prove to be as strong and last well like the CDL lumps. Revo beta map at stage1 was running very low 12s!!!!!

You need to beat a 12.1s next year at pop... Hayden still has the record for that but no car no..lol

I am glad you are happy dude, when u get some free time we will check the wmi setup.

Work has been manic lately but will be in touch soon and arrange a date to pop in again!

oh..... and the wife loves here new brakes on her ED30 cheers

Glad to hear it :cool: