Picked up my S3 this morning + Build Thread

Dean_T

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
I was active on this forum some time back when I had an A3 8L T sport, was a cracking car but I sold that on and moved up to a leon K1 which was stage 1 with an ITG induction kit.

The K1 was nice but I had a bit of drama with it which took the edge off of owning it unfortunately.

The car itself was great fun though - was pretty quick as standard but after I had the ITG fitted along with stage one Revo it woke it up a bit, only problem was in the wet it was a bit of a handful, which pushed me towards an S3, which I always wanted and now have :)

I picked up the car this morning, its an ibis white black edition - loving it so far!

On with the pics - I'm being lazy and using some of the pics from the Audi site;

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pinterovski, Yolo_8p3, RedDejavu and 9 others
Perfect looking S3 - some H&R 25mm lowering springs and colour code the lower front valance to black (maybe rear valance too) and that is a winner!!

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Welcome back to audi-sport.net. Lovely car. Enjoy.:) x

Reactions: S3Alex
Yet another Ibis White to add to the ASN garage.

Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us enjoy ours.

welcome back to the forum mate, always good to add another fellow Audi owner to the group :)

Love the S3 in white.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous.

Looking good buddy, Enjoy! By far the best colour, not that I'm biased!

Shame about the K1 dramas, must admit I loved mine!

What's first on the mods list?!?

Cheers all :)

I'm trying to stay mod free for the moment - at least until i get part way through the warranty anyway lol.

My intention is to go stage 2+, I may have a brief stay at stage 1 along the way though.

I have been looking at getting the dsg remapped, seems this is a necessity to get rid of the software torque limiter - any of you guys had this done?

Wouldnt mind getting some different brakes too, the standards dont seem as strong as my K1, thats one thing I will miss.

I think it is now time for me to go and read S3Alex's thread from start to finish and see what bits and bobs have been fettled with

Reactions: Sandra
Cheers all :)

I'm trying to stay mod free for the moment - at least until i get part way through the warranty anyway lol.

My intention is to go stage 2+, I may have a brief stay at stage 1 along the way though.

I have been looking at getting the dsg remapped, seems this is a necessity to get rid of the software torque limiter - any of you guys had this done?

Wouldnt mind getting some different brakes too, the standards dont seem as strong as my K1, thats one thing I will miss.

I think it is now time for me to go and read S3Alex's thread from start to finish and see what bits and bobs have been fettled with

Hope you enjoy it,and either have a good cup of coffee,or whisky along the way!

The brakes are definitely a weak spot if you drive anywhere near hard,and the suspension needs some attention as well.

As for mine,it's more a matter of what hasn't been "done"!

Reactions: Sevv
Hope you enjoy it,and either have a good cup of coffee,or whisky along the way!

The brakes are definitely a weak spot if you drive anywhere near hard,and the suspension needs some attention as well.

As for mine,it's more a matter of what hasn't been "done"!

i never trusted OEM brakes, and at time when the car is pushed i have to brake much harder then my old S3 where it was a light tap to get her stopping

No need to get the dsg mapped if you go to certain tuning companies - mine's pushing out 510Nm on std dsg s/w.

I agree with the brakes - I fitted some Ferrodo DS2500 pads to the front of mine and improved things a lot.

HTH

Not needing the dsg remapped will save a few pennies then :)

Just one question regarding dsg, is it ok to move from D to S whilst the vehicle is moving at speed, the manual only mentions changing between the two once stopped.

Apologies if that's a stupid question.

Cheers :)

Just one other question, for now anyway.

I have the navigation in my car and want i believe is an AMI connection in the glove box, along with a little home for an ipod or similar.

I think I have two options at present;

1. Hook up an old ipod I have, i think its a 20gb version. Does AMI charge the ipod also?

2. Hook up my phone. It's an android, galaxy note 2, that has a micro usb connection, is there such a cable?

Also, I where is the best place to pick up an AMI cable?

Finally, I think the unit supports 32gd sd cards, is that correct?

Appreciate the help with all this :)

Reactions: mozza1202
So do you have ami in the glovebox already, if not then you need this 1st installing, which would then be supplied with the ami cables for apple products or if requested usb.

We supply/fit the ami units if interested, ping me a PM if you like for more info.

Gorgeous car Dean - the black grill looks awesome on white as does the dual colour interior.

You're fine switching between D & S at any speed. I normally go to S when I am about to overtake or need to rely on immediate power. Since the remap have been using S a lot more for some reason :)

Agree with the above - don't need a DSG remap. One disadvantage of a DSG remap is the car no longer changes gear for you at the extremes of the rev range which may damage your engine.

Well things have been happening, I managed to hold off the modding bug for a few weeks but I knew there was a bit of extra grunt in the S3s engine.

The first change, lets play spot the difference :think:

Before

After

Have you guessed what it is yet? :)

The second thing was a stage 1 Revo remap to accompany the CAI - this has woke the car up, the way it should have been from the factory. I know from when I had my K1 mapped that the ECU still needs time to fully adapt but it feels WAY better.

A big thanks to the guys at Midland VW too :)

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
As above.

Didn't take long to give in.

That didn't last long!!! How does it feel? Does the engine sound better?

More induction noise due to the intake but its the feel of the engine that has changed, more responsive and more urgency (aggression you may say) with the turbo.

As above.

Didn't take long to give in.

I was hoping to at least hold out a few months but the Revo summer sales forced my hand a little - who doesnt like discounts lol

Stage 2+ is my next stop, along with catch can, pcv blank, wouldnt mind WMI in the future :)

I dont have the dyno print out yet but it made (from memory) about 313bhp and ~290lb/ft, i honestly didnt expect that much with the humidity if I'm honest.

I think the S3 will be a great platform for this power :) :)

More induction noise due to the intake but its the feel of the engine that has changed, more responsive and more urgency (aggression you may say) with the turbo.

I was hoping to at least hold out a few months but the Revo summer sales forced my hand a little - who doesnt like discounts lol

Stage 2+ is my next stop, along with catch can, pcv blank, wouldnt mind WMI in the future :)

I dont have the dyno print out yet but it made (from memory) about 313bhp and ~290lb/ft, i honestly didnt expect that much with the humidity if I'm honest.

I think the S3 will be a great platform for this power :) :)

Have a good trawl through my thread and as many others as you can bear!

If you do think of WMI get a bigger intercooler first like the Airtec or Proalloy as that will maximise the benefits.

The suspension and brakes shouldn't be left out either as the car tends to be a bit wobbly on stock suspension.

Two great mods with awesome gains!

You need to get a decent engine cover to hide the ugly heart of the car :( TTS one fits perfectly!

100% agree mate.

Its either the TTS one or mod (hack up) the original one, unsure if that will fit even with hacking it up - plan to take a look the weekend.

Hacking up the old one will work but IMO the TTS looks far better.

Another mod that I would insist you do is either a catch can or PCV delete!!

Is it possible/needed to do both a catch can and PCV delete?

I know the catch can gathers up the oil that would be otherwise going back into the system but what exactly is the benefit of the PCV delete?

EDIT: just googling whilst I typed this and is the PCV delete done to prevent boost leaks?

Is it possible/needed to do both a catch can and PCV delete?

I know the catch can gathers up the oil that would be otherwise going back into the system but what exactly is the benefit of the PCV delete?

EDIT: just googling whilst I typed this and is the PCV delete done to prevent boost leaks?

I use the Forge catch can / pcv mod, looks & works well.
Hope this explains more from their website :

Excess crankcase pressure is vented from the crankcase through the PCV system, where it is drawn into the intake manifold and returned by the engine. This recirculated air contains aerated oil from the crankcase which is burned by the engine. Turbo charged engines often draw significant amounts of oil into the engine through the PCV system. This oil catch tank system removes aerated oil so that it can be drained and recycled.
The kit is recirculating in design so as to maintain emissions compliance, however, it will capture all of the aerated oil, fuel, and water vapor contained in the blow-by gasses that would otherwise enter the intake tract and potentially contribute to deposits on the intake valves, thereby keeping the intake system clean and the engine performing optimally long-term.

Reactions: D3mon and Dean_T
I was active on this forum some time back when I had an A3 8L T sport, was a cracking car but I sold that on and moved up to a leon K1 which was stage 1 with an ITG induction kit.

The K1 was nice but I had a bit of drama with it which took the edge off of owning it unfortunately.

The car itself was great fun though - was pretty quick as standard but after I had the ITG fitted along with stage one Revo it woke it up a bit, only problem was in the wet it was a bit of a handful, which pushed me towards an S3, which I always wanted and now have :)

I picked up the car this morning, its an ibis white black edition - loving it so far!

On with the pics - I'm being lazy and using some of the pics from the Audi site;

Seriously stunning car, love the S3's in white.

Just needs a neat modest Game Over sticker on it though, as a hint at what's already been done!

Reactions: Dean_T
Finally another update!

I have been looking at exhausts for quite a while now, originally had my sights set on a Milltek but wanted something, well a bit better - all the talk of cracked downpipes, dodgy fits, poor fitting and the hassle of warranty claims I knew I had to look elsewhere - no way was I going to spend £1k+ on something that had fairly high chances of going wrong and/or not fitting properly.

Luckily there was hope out there, when I had my map and CAI fitted at Midland VW one of the guys there mentioned BCS exhausts and after asking about them here it pointed me towards quite a few people who had them fitted on the mk5golfgti forums, all of which had glowing reviews.

The thing that enticed me was the quality, attention to detail and the powervalve concept - the thought of having what would be two exhausts in one really appealed to me.

Coming from previously owning a loud exhaust I knew for certain I couldnt live with one 24-7, so the ability to control the noise with my right foot would be much welcomed.

Anyway, I got the car booked in and had it done this week so on with the pics;

First impressions are that its great, it can transform from an exhuast which is slightly louder than standard to something that sounds very nice indeed and the DSG sounds even better when at tilt. No droning on the motorway - the noise is only present when giving it some beans, not rev dependant but boost dependant.

The fit of the system is great, no overhangs from the tailpipes and no knocking from underneath the car.

Both Nige and Dave at BCS are great guys too. It's been a long time since I have met people who want the job to be perfect and won't stand for anything less - testament to that was Dave still putting in the hours to get everything spot on, which he finally finished at 8pm last night - cheers Dave! :)

The car does feel a bit more eager to move now and having this done means I'm one step closer to 2+ :) :)

Reactions: JudderMan
interesting I had thought milltek's issues had passed but its still the same, shame really. The BCS looks good

Looks really great and can I say it and the underside of ur car looks amazing :)
How much did u pay for that ballpark?
Cheers

Robbie :)

Whats that 2 small pipes coming out of that 2 pink joints?
Sorry for the noob ish question ;)

Stabilisers for flexing of the exhaust, they're prongs that push into the rubber pink parts to also help hold in place.