Pic of my lowered A4 3.0TDi SE

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
P1000360.jpg

Thats nice and subtle jeff, well done for taking the plunge. Bit chilly to be washing the car though BRRRR

Not trying to compete here promise,

Just to give an idea of what else can be achieved comfortably :)

Here is my SE - 1.9TDI

Lowered 40mm on 19's

These are APEX springs

I wish i had gone 40 rear/50 Front though as you will see the front is a tad higher

GOPR0006.jpg

GOPR00012.jpg

The front looks quite a bit higher, or maybe it's just the angle of the shot? What size tyres & offset are you using with that 40mm drop?

I'm quite happy with what I've achieved.

A short drive along the A2 and back via some junctions and roundabouts show the handling has firmed up quite a bit without, as far as I can tell so far, damaging the ride.

Not trying to compete here promise,

Just to give an idea of what else can be achieved comfortably :)

Here is my SE - 1.9TDI

Lowered 40mm on 19's

These are APEX springs

I wish i had gone 40 rear/50 Front though as you will see the front is a tad higher

GOPR0006.jpg

GOPR00012.jpg

I can't really tell much from those pics. Do you have any of the car in full?

Tyres are 225's all round, the fronts are 8.5j and rear are 9.5j

Offset is ET35

Yeah the gopro camera shots are fisheyed.

Ill get a side shot from car park at lunch :)

The ground isnt level with the pic you see so that probably isnt great judgement.

Ill upload new one later

Tyres are 225's all round, the fronts are 8.5j and rear are 9.5j

Offset is ET35

Yeah the gopro camera shots are fisheyed.

Ill get a side shot from car park at lunch :)

The ground isnt level with the pic you see so that probably isnt great judgement.

Ill upload new one later

That's be good. You've got some unusual tyre/wheel measurements going on there. Mine are 8J x 18 and ET42, with 235/40/18 tyres all round.

That's be good. You've got some unusual tyre/wheel measurements going on there. Mine are 8J x 18 and ET42, with 235/40/18 tyres all round.

Yeah, rims are staggered for deeper dish on rear rims.

the 225's are to provide minimal stretch on fronts and small amount on rear.

The offset is to pull the rim out just enough to feel the arches nicely.

:)

I need to lower my SE! It sits waaay too high, looks worse when I have the 18's on.

JDP - how does the ride compare to the SE suspension and how much mileage have your shocks covered?

I need to lower my SE! It sits waaay too high, looks worse when I have the 18's on.

JDP - how does the ride compare to the SE suspension and how much mileage have your shocks covered?

Assuming they are the original shocks, they've done 76,000 miles? The ride is broadly the same as far as I can tell at the moment.

Assuming they are the original shocks, they've done 76,000 miles? The ride is broadly the same as far as I can tell at the moment.

I'd expect they might start showing their age fairly quickly with lowered springs (well, according to conventional wisdom at least).

At the risk of being booed, if you find yourself replacing the shocks at some point, I have found the Koni FSDs pair pretty nicely with these springs (on my A6) and retain decent comfort while coping with the lowered stance of Eibach Pro Kits... I think Koni actually used to sell them as a kit in the US.

I'd expect they might start showing their age fairly quickly with lowered springs (well, according to conventional wisdom at least).

Thats what I was thinking. Mines done 89k so I think im best off changing the shocks whilst i'm at it, it's just wounder to the wallet though!

car looks good though jdp, mines the same as yours bar the engine.

Having the brakes renewed at the same time meant I just didn't have enough cash for the shocks. I'll keep an eye on them, and replace when the time comes.

Seems to be pretty common to run standard shocks and aftermarket springs, with the B7 at least... don't recall seeing any stories about people finding nackered shocks after fitting them? Could be 1 of 2 things: 1) German Engineering is awesome, or 2) the drop is fairly minimal so doesn't put too much excess wear on the shocks. Be interesting to know if anyone has changed their shocks retrospectively (due to failure or otherwise) and which they chose...?

Matty86, that would be me (19" rims and -30mm H&R springs, on standard s-line/sport shocks):

IMAG1342-160.jpg

Cab looks sweet!

My car has done 116000 miles and as far as im aware the shocks were never replaced.

I bought my car from the company i work for and they owned it from brand new and was religiously looked after by our in house fleet department.

Ride isn't bad and was only made a little harsher by the lower profile of my tyres in comparison to the beastly profile i had on the standard SE 16's

All in all, im in love with my AUDI.

Always had the urge to buy a 2 seater coupe but i know id regret letting the convenience and Exec styling of the B7 A4 go :)

Cheers guys. Running out of things to upgrade/change/modify now though... at least things which I can justify the cost!

Have you ever thought of a cupra-R splitter Jeff? It levels out the front of the SE bumper rather than it curving up as standard... could have it painted silver to match the bumper

Cheers guys. Running out of things to upgrade/change/modify now though... at least things which I can justify the cost!

Have you ever thought of a cupra-R splitter Jeff? It levels out the front of the SE bumper rather than it curving up as standard... could have it painted silver to match the bumper

Iv been toying with the idea of fitting one to mine,

Are they difficult to fit and what's the common way of bolting one on?

I think i can see one on the front of yours? :) *Edited* - Read your signature - DOH!

Never thought about it really.

Are they difficult to fit and what's the common way of bolting one on?

Not at all. They're about £45 from a seat dealer, and just use a series of self-tapping screws into the bottom of the bumper. You need to trim the posts in the middle slightly to get it to sit right, and lining it up can be a bit fiddly, but not too bad.

If you have ramps it gives you enough room to get under there with a screwdriver!

Hi,
I've just gone from a cupra with splitter to my A4 Avant s-line 2.0T. I unbolted mine and swapped it onto my A4. Perfect fit. Will upload a pic tomorrow. I want to lower my springs with the B5 cup mod. Struggling to find a pair without going to the "stealers" though. May get a quote from TPS tomorrow.

Seems to be pretty common to run standard shocks and aftermarket springs, with the B7 at least... don't recall seeing any stories about people finding nackered shocks after fitting them? Could be 1 of 2 things: 1) German Engineering is awesome, or 2) the drop is fairly minimal so doesn't put too much excess wear on the shocks. Be interesting to know if anyone has changed their shocks retrospectively (due to failure or otherwise) and which they chose...?

Matty86, that would be me (19" rims and -30mm H&R springs, on standard s-line/sport shocks):

IMAG1342-160.jpg

You running B5 cups up front JJ? This is exactly where I want my ride height! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also by 30mm did you mean the 45mm H&R kit (S-line being 15mm lower already)?

Last edited:
I too have been thinking of the B5 cup mod.....

Does anyone have experience and effort required to do?

Also what is the latest part number and price if poss for the B5 cups?

Thanks in advance!