Physical difference between 150ps and 184ps?

Shermo

Reaction score
Is there a physical difference between the 150ps and 184ps or is it just a different map?

Just wondering whether it has a better intercooler, turbo or something? If it's just a different map then eventually they should both be remappable/chippable to the same output, but otherwise you'd have to spend on upgrading some areas.

Reactions: GreatBallsofFire
Larger injectors on the Q3 (140 -177)so possibly the same on the A3.

Audi Q3 TDi Engines - Audi Q3 Forums

Would need someone with full access to the Audi parts catalogue to confirm at a guess.

A basic search of parts catalogue indicates the basic engine is the same, the turbo is the same but the injectors and the ECU are different part numbers for the 184 engine.

Thanks guys, injectors would be a bit more costly than a better turbo I guess to retrofit. Nice to know what the difference is anyway :)

Yeah I was looking at that, it will take it from 150ps to 200ps which is pretty great, and will probably be more than enough. Was just wondering if there was actually any difference between the engines as sometimes its purely a different map on the same engine.

A basic search of parts catalogue indicates the basic engine is the same, the turbo is the same but the injectors and the ECU are different part numbers for the 184 engine.

Out of curiosity where did you look up the parts list BTW? Is there a website you find the parts lists for the different engines?

Out of curiosity where did you look up the parts list BTW? Is there a website you find the parts lists for the different engines?

There is a basic parts database at the following URL: AUDI A3/S3/SPORTBACK/QU. [A3] (EUROPE) 2013 [8V-D-000 001 >>]
but to get much more detail of which parts are fitted to particular model you will need a copy of the ETKA parts catalogue. This is normally only available to dealers but..... sent me a PM and I will give you further details

Reactions: S3_Timmo
Is there not a different transmission etc to cope with the extra torque?

So in theory, the engines in both cars are the same and using a tuning box to increase the power and torque in the 150ps to the same as the 184ps shouldn't cause any problems?

I suppose it's all about the bottom end and oil delivery system if you're thinking longevity. If its the same, away you go.

Old thread I know, but though I'd add this here to complete the details.

The 184ps version of the EA288 Engine (CUNA) also has variable valve timing that the lower powered models don't

The cylinder head of the EA288 engine is a cross-flow cylinder head made of an aluminum alloy. The valves are operated by two upper camshafts integrated into a camshaft housing. Depending on the arrangement of the inlet and exhaust ports, the inlet and exhaust valves are controlled for each camshaft. The camshafts are driven by the crankshaft via a toothed belt and the camshaft gear of one of the camshafts.
The two camshafts are joined via spur gear teeth.

Variable valve timing has been integrated in the camshaft housing of the 2.0 l 135 kW TDI engine. It allows the valve timing of the adjustable camshaft to be adjusted sleeplessly within a crank angle range of 0° to 50° to late. Adjusting the valve timing allows the swirling motion of the air drawn into the cylinder to be increased, which ensures a good fuel mixture is attained. Furthermore, the variable valve timing can be used to reduce the compression in the cylinder, ensuring the production of nitrogen oxides is reduced during combustion.

Reactions: veeeight