Phone Prep Confusion?

bmh.01

Reaction score
Having picked up my 2008 S3 this Saturday i've been finding it great but i'm a little confused as to how to proceed with sorting out the handfree options for my iphone 4.

It has v1 rns-e fitted as well as armrest phone prep and sds (not sure which version? help lists phone functions only), but as far as I can tell no bluetooth. There is an option in the rns-e for bluetooth pin entry but scanning when first turning the ignition on doesn't find any bluetooth devices.

Now i've seen the bluetooth only iphone 4 cradles for sale for around £100 on ebay and the likes, do I purely need one of these to connect my phone or do I need the £200+ bluetooth module+vcds?

I'm waiting on a replacement manual for the RNSe from Audi so apologies if it makes it clear in there.

Last edited:
cradle will just hold the phone and charge it, you will still need the BT upgrade kit

Does your iPhone pick up any bluetooth devices? I have OEM Bluetooth and it shows as Audi UHV 9112 on my iPhone.

i have a rSAP adaptor that plugs into your armrest phone prep to enable bluetooth drop me a pm

If you have the phone prep in place then you do have Bluetooth installed already. The cradle is purely to charge and boost your reception as this will be wired up to your shark fin on the roof.

When you press the mode button on your MFSW and if your phone is not connected, it should say something like, "no phone inserted".
The procedure to connect,

1. Turn ignition on
2. Turn your Bluetooth on iPhone on and search for devices( you only have 30 secs to do this from when the ignition is turned on)
3. Select device
4. Enter pass code on phone, either 0000 or 1234

That should be it, then in the future you phone should automatically connect when ignition is turned on.

Reactions: raptor101
Dannykn9 has hit the nail on the head, mostly that i'm an idiot! The bluetooth must obviously go off being discoverable faster than I previously thought, just thought to try it when I first got in the car this afternoon and bingo it appeared. :meeting:

I'd previously tried it after stopping the car and turning the ignition off then on and it didn't show before.

Lol mate, your not an idiot, believe it or not but trying to connect to the Bluetooth does throw a lot of people.
Glad you sorted it fella.

Oh well its the result that counts I guess! Another question, if I have phone prep so I still need the extra wiring to enable SDS high? Or just the firmware?

You should already have voice control for your phone when you press the speak button on the wheel.
But with your Rns-e Mk1, then yes the firmware needs to hacked, plus your need to re route your microphone in the roof light cluster to the rns-e and then back to your Bluetooth module.
Not really a straight forward mod mate.

There are people here who can do this for you including myself, depends where you are.

TBH easily done, had someone recently also had this dilemma until they did a BT search lol.

And it works ok? You have BT prep fitted too? Guessing the other black/grey connector goes to the BT unit?