Phone pair

deal

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2018 A4. I've paired my phone to the car, but when it's paired, the phone displays a message "SIM card removed, emergency calls only", therefore I'm unable to search the internet etc directly from my phone. I can make and receive calls from the cars hands free. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

My guess would be that the car is using the phones SIM card for the MMI connection. Have a look in the connection manager and see if you can select another option under sim - you may have to delete the Bluetooth connection and set it up again. I had a Samsung S7 that allowed the car to use it’s data if you weren’t careful (even though though the car has its own data sim)

Thanks. Yes the car was using the phones SIM. I disconnected and re-paired the phone for BT connection only. All working as I want now.

Cheers

This might be a silly question but why not use android auto or CarPlay.
I really can't see any benefit of using android auto, for me. I only want to access the telephone handsfree. Though having said that, this is the first car I've had which has the option to use android auto built in, so I'm open to suggestions...

Now I've learnt for android auto to work, the phone must be connected to the car via USB cable. So the benefits of using AA are not worth it for me.