Phone Mirroring

rob haney

Reaction score
Hello,

i am looking to mirror my iphone screen to my car screen in Audi A3. has anybody done this or tell me the best way to do so for playing videos etc?

thanks,

I don't think it's possible with the Stock Audi head units from the 8P range.
You'd be looking at getting a dedicated head unit with those capabilities built in, or like many of us have done, buy an Android head unit that is basically a tablet in place of the original head unit. These are usually cheaper than the likes of Kenwood with built in Android Auto/Apple Car play and far more flexible.

Or put a standard headunit with aux input, and install a normal tablet permanently.

Or put a standard headunit with aux input, and install a normal tablet permanently.
Now can you do a write up explaining the process off doing that as i plus others would be interested in that retrofit .:thumbs up:

Now can you do a write up explaining the process off doing that as i plus others would be interested in that retrofit .:thumbs up:

I used to have a Sony MEX BT 5000 headunit in my Audi, with a Nexus 7 (Gen 1 fits perfect) Tablet running Timors Custom ROM via OTG USB. When Ignition/car on, the tablet would be on. Then when off it would go into sleep mode.

I used to have a Sony MEX BT 5000 headunit in my Audi, with a Nexus 7 (Gen 1 fits perfect) Tablet running Timors Custom ROM via OTG USB. When Ignition/car on, the tablet would be on. Then when off it would go into sleep mode.
Thats not what i would call an Audi standard headunit more an aftermarket one

the headunit is not important, only that it has an aux in. thought that was clear by his post tbh.
the car tablet is quite antiquated nowadays anyway, it made sense a few years ago when the only other option was wince based headunits, or rubbish android units, or nothing at all, but these days with decently specced android units using a tablet instead is more hassle than its worth.

as to the op's question, it is possible- just rubbish

youd need a multimedia interface for the rns-e
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimed...030025?hash=item5d7fcbef49:g:ohEAAOSwR2RaDXHE
(not 100% sure on whether youd need to use vcds to enable the tv input)

that would provide the av input, then youd need to get an rca output from the iphone which is a bit long winded.
the lightning jack idevices cant directly output analogue feeds, so youd need a lightning to hdmi adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Light...172217?hash=item2aae7ecdb9:g:V3cAAOSwFuZbQyIe

then youd need a hdmi to rca adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Ft-HDMI...841064&hash=item5d6bad9c57:g:ozQAAOSwooRakpEW

video on how itd be wired up

so after buying all those bits, youve got what you wanted; mirroring your iphone onto the rns-e. but is it worth it? youll still have to use the phone to control it, the resolution will be ****, and it wont be as driver friendly as carplay (voice control and steering wheel button control is cool).

heres a video of my android unit with a carplay dongle connected to an iphone (little jerky as the phone was low on battery, which it turns out makes carplay run jerky. usually its smooth and fast)

way better than an outdated unit with a vhs looking iphone mirrored onto the screen imo.

the headunit is not important, only that it has an aux in. thought that was clear by his post tbh.
the car tablet is quite antiquated nowadays anyway, it made sense a few years ago when the only other option was wince based headunits, or rubbish android units, or nothing at all, but these days with decently specced android units using a tablet instead is more hassle than its worth.

as to the op's question, it is possible- just rubbish

youd need a multimedia interface for the rns-e
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimed...030025?hash=item5d7fcbef49:g:ohEAAOSwR2RaDXHE
(not 100% sure on whether youd need to use vcds to enable the tv input)

that would provide the av input, then youd need to get an rca output from the iphone which is a bit long winded.
the lightning jack idevices cant directly output analogue feeds, so youd need a lightning to hdmi adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Light...172217?hash=item2aae7ecdb9:g:V3cAAOSwFuZbQyIe

then youd need a hdmi to rca adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Ft-HDMI...841064&hash=item5d6bad9c57:g:ozQAAOSwooRakpEW

video on how itd be wired up

so after buying all those bits, youve got what you wanted; mirroring your iphone onto the rns-e. but is it worth it? youll still have to use the phone to control it, the resolution will be ****, and it wont be as driver friendly as carplay (voice control and steering wheel button control is cool).

heres a video of my android unit with a carplay dongle connected to an iphone (little jerky as the phone was low on battery, which it turns out makes carplay run jerky. usually its smooth and fast)

way better than an outdated unit with a vhs looking iphone mirrored onto the screen imo.

I have a symphony 2 with 6cd changer and Aux so what you saying is because this jas an Aux i should be able to mirror my phone and watch videos on it .?

Last edited:

Tablet is far more refined the l
I have a symphony 2 with 6cd changer and Aux so what you saying is because this jas an Aux i should be able to mirror my phone and watch videos on it .?

Combined with an Android tablet mounted to the car yes.

Tablet is far more refined the l

Combined with an Android tablet mounted to the car yes.
Remember OP 's original Question .
Right totally confusef now OP is asking if he can mirror his iphone to his mk2 Rnse so he can watch video's etc , now your saying any head unit with an Aux can do that , now i am stating i have a Standard symphony mk2 with an Aux and i am saying i cant play videos on it even if i could mirror the iphone too it , so the statement about the any HU with an Aux is incorrect . He is asking about the Audi mk2 not any aftermarket HU .
Now yourself and MR Sony will be correct on aftermarket but i personally think @Daveyonthemove is given the lad the right info .
So always mind a ( little Knowledge is a Dangerous thing )

Remember OP 's original Question .
Right totally confusef now OP is asking if he can mirror his iphone to his mk2 Rnse so he can watch video's etc , now your saying any head unit with an Aux can do that , now i am stating i have a Standard symphony mk2 with an Aux and i am saying i cant play videos on it even if i could mirror the iphone too it , so the statement about the any HU with an Aux is incorrect . He is asking about the Audi mk2 not any aftermarket HU .
Now yourself and MR Sony will be correct on aftermarket but i personally think @Daveyonthemove is given the lad the right info .
So always mind a ( little Knowledge is a Dangerous thing )

what the op wants to do is have his phone screen displayed on the rns-e. thats what mirroring is.

what aqibi2000 has suggested is a perfectly reasonable alternative to simply mirroring his phone (using a tablet). the tablet would output audio, and the aux on ANY headunit would be used to play the tablet audio. youre getting hung up on the aux thing, which has nothing to do with anything.

what i have done is shown him how to do exactly what he wants, but also explain why its a bad idea and suggested a similar alternative to aqibi2000.

what does any of that have to do with a your symphony?????
So always mind a ( little Knowledge is a Dangerous thing ) - dunno what that is even meant to mean in this context, but whatever.

to summarise, as you seem to be getting easily confused, what the op is wanting is possible, but far from ideal, and other alternatives have been suggested

You may want to stick to the OP's orginal question is what i am saying and if it can be done, back it up by showing him some edvidence not by showing him what an alternative can do as @aqibi2000 has explained to him as the Sony is not a Standard Unit for an Audi , ( op's statement post #3 )
Now again you have shown it can be done by using an alternative again but as i said earlier, in your video you do show you mirroring your phone but as i said earlier i can't see the video which Op has asked about in his original post and finally your words in post #9 ( the headunit doesn't matter as long as it has an Aux ) is pour boll*cks cause as i said i have an Symphony mk2 ( which is a standard A3 head unit ) and it has an AUX but you cant mirror your iphone on that .
So i hope this clears that bit up for you and as to the saying it might be worth you looking it up rather than me putting the explaination here.
Now if you wish the last word by all means post and be done with it .

Last edited:
You may want to stick to the OP's orginal question is what i am saying and if it can be done, back it up by showing him some edvidence not by showing him what an alternative can do as @aqibi2000 has explained to him as the Sony is not a Standard Unit for an Audi , ( op's statement post #3 )
Now again you have shown it can be done by using an alternative again but as i said earlier, in your video you do show you mirroring your phone but as i said earlier i can't see the video which Op has asked about in his original post and finally your words in post #9 ( the headunit doesn't matter as long as it has an Aux ) is pour boll*cks cause as i said i have an Symphony mk2 ( which is a standard A3 head unit ) and it has an AUX but you cant mirror your iphone on that .
So i hope this clears that bit up for you and as to the saying it might be worth you looking it up rather than me putting the explaination here.
Now if you wish the last word by all means post and be done with it .

did you even read my post? number 10. heres a link to it just incase you skimmed over it
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/phone-mirroring.377497/#post-3298988

in that post i link directly to all the ebay items needed to do what he needs. what more evidence do you need.
in that same post, ive explained why its a bad idea, and provided an alternative which was the video of CARPLAY (not mirroring, you dont seem to grasp what that is so why are you even commenting) which is a better alternative. aqibis alternative was a tablet, which you seem so hung up on for some reason.

to make it even easier for you heres a video of mirroring on an rns-e. if you cant see the drawbacks of something like that for a £100 cost (exc fitting), and cant provide alternatives, why are you even posting in this thread.

Now see after a little back and froing you seem to have answered the original question the OP asked and i now commend you on that , it's rather that simple's but mind when you make Statements about it doesn't matter the Headunit as long as it has AUX think before you post ( the little knowledge part ) that you dont confuse people who have a Standard Audi A3 8p Symphony mk2( no retrofitted Rns-e )as it has an Aux but not big enough screen to show videos so thats why i picked holes in part off your post and the other member's 1 too .

By the way @samisnake how are you finding the Android HU? I had to return mine (Xtrons) because of poor sound quality (non BOSE Concert II) and even worse when Bluetooth streaming.

By the way @samisnake how are you finding the Android HU? I had to return mine (Xtrons) because of poor sound quality (non BOSE Concert II) and even worse when Bluetooth streaming.

compared to the concert or w/e it was that i removed to fit the xtrons, i gotta say its an improvement.
ive got the non-bose, rear amped with subwoofer setup in mine.
only bt i use is for calls, and again its fine for me.
was yours crackly or something?

compared to the concert or w/e it was that i removed to fit the xtrons, i gotta say its an improvement.
ive got the non-bose, rear amped with subwoofer setup in mine.
only bt i use is for calls, and again its fine for me.
was yours crackly or something?

Wasn’t crackling but more of a metallic sound - didn’t feel natural at all! I played with the EQ but the quality wouldn’t improve.

By the way, how do I know if there’s a subwoofer in mine?

you replaced it with something else, or gone back to stock?

ummmm on the 3dr, if you have rear speakers its generally a given that you have a sub. not sure if its the same on the 5 door.

one way would be to put music on, open the boot and listen closely to the panel on the left side. the sub, if fitted, is located behind that carpeted panel.

Reactions: maxpayne

ummmm on the 3dr, if you have rear speakers its generally a given that you have a sub. not sure if its the same on the 5 door.

one way would be to put music on, open the boot and listen closely to the panel on the left side. the sub, if fitted, is located behind that carpeted panel.

Gone back to stock while I consider options.

By the way this guy on the other side of the pond combined best of both world (sound/modern tech) by using a tablet and a hidden Pioneer HU!

See https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...roid-Tablet-as-primary-head-unit-sound-system

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 293
Just caught up with this thread.
Wow, it escalated quickly. I notice the OP didn't return to respond to any of this, so it can't be any use to him.

I put the Sony headunit in the glovebox and mounted Nexus 7 in place, here's a few photos.

Nice! One thing that I’d love to experiment with would be to have the tablet mounted on the top of the dash as opposed to having it where the stereo is. I have been looking at discreet tablet mounts but haven’t come across anything that’s fit for purpose.

With the heat wave we have just had, I wouldn't be looking to store any form of tablet on the dash in direct sunlight.
There is a video on the net somewhere of a woman in China who had her Iphone on the dash and it exploded and caught fire. They put it down to the 38c heat outside, which wouldn't be hard to reach inside a car with recent temps.

With the heat wave we have just had, I wouldn't be looking to store any form of tablet on the dash in direct sunlight.
There is a video on the net somewhere of a woman in China who had her Iphone on the dash and it exploded and caught fire. They put it down to the 38c heat outside, which wouldn't be hard to reach inside a car with recent temps.

Lol.

That did the trick. There’s a sub. Listened to it with the boot open.

Maybe that’s where my problem with Xtrons started. Since I have an ISO connection, maybe the ISO adapter that comes with the unit (it came with a quad lock one too) wasn’t wired up correctly.