Phone cradles....

Kriminal

Reaction score
Just a quick question : how are phone cradles attached to the A3 ?

I'm looking at one at present, and it seems to be fitting flush to the dash (to the bottom left of the vents). It says in the description that it's "GSM Mobile Telephone Preparation".

The thing is, I wouldn't want it, but am concerned that there may be a couple of gaping holes left

you concerns are correct , behind the front cradle mounting plate bracket is a threaded fixing plate inside of the dash , so you remove the cradle and will be left with a nice big 40mm wide 70mm high hole , i have covered the hole with a carbon fibre plate and s line badge

you concerns are correct , behind the front cradle mounting plate bracket is a threaded fixing plate inside of the dash , so you remove the cradle and will be left with a nice big 40mm wide 70mm high hole , i have covered the hole with a carbon fibre plate and s line badge

Ouch! That sounds like one huge hole to be left with.

Thanks for letting me know :thumbsup:

If you order an SE model, you can specify the cradle inside the centre arm rest, underneath a lid:o.k:

Also, I thought there was an option now for Bluetooth only (no cradle option) I'm sure someone will update this thread.

If you order an SE model, you can specify the cradle inside the centre arm rest, underneath a lid:o.k:

Also, I thought there was an option now for Bluetooth only (no cradle option) I'm sure someone will update this thread.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I think I should've pointed out - I'll be buying second hand.

The car was on an Audi dealership website (the one with the cradle).

Strangely enough, the car was sold/removed from the site the following day. Something tells me I wasn't supposed to have it. :laugh: <sigh>

When I was looking I specifically would not have bought one with this cradle fitted, it looks terrible and could attract unwanted attention - though I hate added any gizmoes/clutter inside a car, especially something that leaves holes in the dash. The car I bought had a Parrot bluetooth kit fitted and this was stuck to the dash between the centre vents and speedo clocks. However, I made sure it was only a temporary fix (was just velcro) and after I boght the car I moved it to the ashtray so it is hidden.

I have a Tom Tom cradle with my iPhone, just a sucker on the window, connected bluetooth for handsfree, and aux to the back of the headunit for music, DAB, movies, TV etc etc..

I've tidied the cables a bit better since, but here is a pic..

photo2.jpg

with the BT phone prep i think you get a choice when ordering, bluetooth phone prep low or high... low being centre arm rest, high bein dash mounted (this is what i thought anyway)