Phone AV Mirroring to MMI

madrussa

Reaction score
I found an interesting video, this guys mirrored his phone to the display:

Might be handy to do when waiting about for people to watch youtube on the go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ivicyrusivi
Probably, no idea. There wasn't any driving on the vid but i'd assumed so which is why I said it'll be good for waiting around.

I think you can enable the screen to stay on while driving

Ah, you need the right RCA MMI adaptor for it, an MHL cable and an HDMI -> RCA adapter by the looks of things... could be expensive just to get it up and running! Don't think there's an MMI HDMI cable unfortunately.

This is a great idea but like others say you would need to enable VIM.
Another interesting way to go about it using a HDMI adaptor would be to connect an Apple TV box, this would then give you Air Play and wireless screen mirroring ;)

Reactions: warren_S5
Looks like this guy does it with just the MMI Cable ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vakaviti
That's just standard video playback, not screen mirroring

Does anyone know can I enable VIM by using WiFi OBD2 dongle? Is there any app at Playstore or Appstore which can handle the job?

Does anyone know can I enable VIM by using WiFi OBD2 dongle? Is there any app at Playstore or Appstore which can handle the job?

No there isn't such a device just yet. If you want vim, are you looking for it to work when moving? Vim looks like it can only be activated by vcds.

Would be better if you could do it wireless

Would be better if you could do it wireless

Apple TV allows you screen mirror wirelessly, there are 12v adaptors available if you google it. You would then need a WiFi hotspot to connect to, audi connect owners have one in the car or there are plenty of wifi 4G dongles available.
What would then be needed is a HDMI to composite adaptor and VIM. Job done ;)

I'm sure there must be an android equivalent for Apple TV?

Video in motion

Why would you want to mirror the ipod ipad?

Reactions: STERLING VOID
Why would you want to mirror the ipod ipad?

Eh? Isn't that the whole point of this thread? You can mirror iPod touch, iPad or iPhone.

Mirroring would be endlessly helpful with numerous apps, ie speed camera warnings, alternate sat nav options, live traffic apps and so on, not to mention the obvious (while stopped of course) live tv, BBCiPlayer etc!!

Only problem is the MMI isn't touchscreen. You wouldn't be able to do this in the A3/S3.

Also doesn't work with iOS7.

Firstly, you are right it isn't touchscreen, but I wouldn't want to put my fingers all over that beautiful screen anyway, you would have to launch the program you want before you set off.

Secondly, how did I miss this post in the first place lol?

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong. Do you want to mirror the iPhone screen to the MMI or just play what's on the iPhone on the MMI?

Regards

Veggie

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong. Do you want to mirror the iPhone screen to the MMI or just play what's on the iPhone on the MMI?

Regards

Veggie

It's not really for playing the content of the phone as the MMI can play most of that anyway, but mirroring the screen would be useful from time to time.
There are some apps on the phone like sat nav (not for me as I have the tech pack but for those without) speed camera detectors and so on.

But also while I am waiting at the train station to pick my Mrs up I would love to watch TV, YouTube or my slingbox on that lovely screen rather than on my phone screen ;-)

The only thing that's stopping me is the thought filling my tidy arm rest with cables and adapters :(

You can now, for £30

Update,

Just collected my Brand New A3 with the SD card based navigation system.

I connected my Ipod touch with the part no. 4F0-051-510-R in the centre pocket (which is the AMI cable with the red collar). Selected a movie on the MMI system and pressed play. Straight away Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels came up on the screen and played flawlessly.

MMI SD Card Navigation System plays movies from an Ipod.

Result

Regards

veggie

Reactions: 97catalunya
You can now, for £30

Update,

Just collected my Brand New A3 with the SD card based navigation system.

I connected my Ipod touch with the part no. 4F0-051-510-R in the centre pocket (which is the AMI cable with the red collar). Selected a movie on the MMI system and pressed play. Straight away Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels came up on the screen and played flawlessly.

MMI SD Card Navigation System plays movies from an Ipod.

Result

Regards

veggie

Yeah glad you have this working :) but as I have an iPhone 5 with a lightning connector it won't work for me :( this will also only work for media stored locally on your device not streaming from apps.
I could however fill an SD card with video and watch from there or as I am doing at the moment pop a DVD in the glovebox ;)

This all sounds very interesting
I only have preparation for SD based navigation - so will I be able to play video through mmi?
I can't test at the moment I'm still waiting for lighting connector mmi cable

Thanks

After giving this thought....

Would. Lightning to hdmi cable + hdmi2av/composite converter + ami composite av cable all work together?!

Is anyone thinking about this again, since Apples updates to the AppleTV means anyone who already has an AppleTV is likely to have a spare coming up?

As I see it you would need:

Power inverter,
Wifi hotspot - if you don't have Audi Connect,
HDMI > RCA converter, probably powered.
audi MMI RCA cable, found one in my glove box

Oh, and VIM via VCDS, of course

Job done! Anyone else?

Is anyone thinking about this again, since Apples updates to the AppleTV means anyone who already has an AppleTV is likely to have a spare coming up?

As I see it you would need:

Power inverter,
Wifi hotspot - if you don't have Audi Connect,
HDMI > RCA converter, probably powered.
audi MMI RCA cable, found one in my glove box

Oh, and VIM via VCDS, of course

Job done! Anyone else?

VIM cannot be done via VCDS and RossTech have stated that they have no plans to support it. There is another program called Vag Can Pro which can but it's hard to find people that use it / could do it for you unless of course you buy it yourself. There is also one of these:

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/video-in-motion/volkswagen/video-motion-discover-pro-columbus

There is another "possible" way to activate / deactivate VIM but it's untested on the 8V at the moment. Am waiting for a test system.

I'm only assuming Vim is actually a requirement?
I just want to mirror my screen rather than play an actual video file...

I'll take the aTV and an extension lead out to the car with some display adapters and see what happens.
Must remember to unplug Apple TV from extension lead before 'in motion' tests tho.. :)

I've got VIM enabled via Vag can pro, then I'm mirroring screen on a wifi mirror cast device which is connect to an cdmi to orca convertor - and then to the audi ami cable using RCA connectors... so i see what my iPad shows like navigation ....

Get an interface card with 2 or 3 input. Get a DLNA/AirPlay dongle, install in behind the glove box and you are all set using wifi to mirror image. All for less than $300.

Hi,
how is the result on the screen with the hdmi>3rca converter?
The resolution is good ? Image is sharp ?
Thanks !
gab

It's a Miracast system, over here, there's no option for navigation from A3 to RS3 all the same, and all came with MMI Radio + so the standard 5.8" screen... The Miracast is an add on module which connect to your phone (Android or iPhone) via WiFi and with built in VIM enabled, the module is about GBP100-150 and it mirrors anything on the phone from Google map to YouTube videos.

The only drawback is every time you start the car, you'll have to enable AirPlay or Screen Mirroring for it to work, but it's a clean and somewhat affordable solution if you don't have the factory navi.

Hi all! i'm new on the forum. I use this to wireless cast my phone content to the screen on my A3 8V 2013.

AMI to RCA cable : h t t p s ://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016AM1ZH8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI to RCA converter box
: h t t p s ://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6OM8OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chromecast v2 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2016-...809146?hash=item33c570637a:g:wHYAAOSw5cNYNzlt

ODBEleven dongle (to enable VIM) : https://obdeleven.com/

Just set'up a wifi-hotspot on your phone, connect the chromecast and off you go! :D

Last edited:
Hi all! i'm new on the forum. I use this to wireless cast my phone content to the screen on my A3 8V 2013.

AMI to RCA cable : h t t p s ://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016AM1ZH8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI to RCA converter box
: h t t p s ://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6OM8OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chromecast v2 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2016-...809146?hash=item33c570637a:g:wHYAAOSw5cNYNzlt

ODBEleven dongle (to enable VIM) : https://obdeleven.com/

Just set'up a wifi-hotspot on your phone, connect the chromecast and off you go! :D

right im going to give this ago...I got an MMI cable form an ebay dealer and gave him my cars correct codes to match up which MMI cable i needed when i first got the car but when i plug it in i just get nothing apart from it charges???

When i rang Audi to find the correct MMI cable they just basically said it could be one of three no way to tell??? ( very helpful ) NOT!!!!!!

how do i buy the correct MMI cable for my car and phone ??? is there a site which will tell me which type i need????