Phatbox via Ebay beware

aldi

back from the dead
Reaction score
Website
www.spiritshigh.org.uk
Got a phatbox on ebay through rally959 claiming to be in Milton Keynes as it was already in uk i didnt mind too much the £199.99 price,
thus avoiding any import tax etc.

Got a letter from parcelforce today saying that they were holding my phatbox as there were customs charges to pay totally £57.39!
went down and paid for it am now trying to track the seller but suprise suprise only get an answer phone. Obviously unimpressed to say the least.

Anyone else had dramas with this seller?

All the cheap Phatnoise come from the USA the European spec have a modification (extra chip for compatibility problems with EU spec sat nav) and are only available from VAG.
Some sellers are in the UK but act as a go-between and get the Phatbox from the same USA source as they dont hold stock it gets sent direct to you.
I posted about it Here

rubbish - mines a usa version and works with satnav just fine. Had it 3 years still going strong. I paid 800 direct from phatnoise so if you paid 200 squid you got a bargain. A decent headunit costs £400..

[ QUOTE ]
rubbish - mines a usa version and works with satnav just fine. Had it 3 years still going strong. I paid 800 direct from phatnoise so if you paid 200 squid you got a bargain. A decent headunit costs £400..

[/ QUOTE ]

Links here
link1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5

I could go on but its late

Fact the Euro spec Phatnoise has a different chip
Yours may work fine but please don’t say I am taking rubbish without checking your facts first.

Rant over

The USA one does work but my point is Euro spec VW &Audi ones are modified & only sold to VAG so no cheap deal hence all cheap ones come from the USA market not the UK market so no point in paying more to get one from the UK.

The reason why they are cheap they (allegedly) don’t work with the new VW USA spec headunits because they are not modified.

And yes £257 is cheap and I love my USA spec one but i am trying to point out paying more for an aledged UK supplier will not probably benefit you.

They are all made in China anyway

Well I've got one and it works.

So you need to get your facts straight before you start dissing a very good piece of kit.

Most of those links are rubbish - except the last and then opinion is split and trails off into other areas.

I've used a phatbox bought direct from Phatnoise in the US now with two different cars. It worked with standard audi headunit in the s3 and a sony headunit. It now works fine in the 3.2 on the rns-e satnav. If it ain't working you've done something wrong.

I was a member of the phatnosie forum while it ran, and can also confirm a number of other uk owners had no such problems.

Differently specced units is usually due to the cable supplied with the unit.

All the units are exactly the same.

Audi and Vw list different part nos for cables, the audi one being more expensive. But many people have used the cheaper cable. Get the right cable and flashed firmware on the DMS and it'll work. EASY.

[ QUOTE ]
Well I've got one and it works.

So you need to get your facts straight before you start dissing a very good piece of kit

[/ QUOTE ]
Where in my post do I say that it will not work

(extra chip for compatibility problems with EU spec sat nav) does not mean it will not work its stating a fact. I know they work I have got one

How can I “diss” something when I say [ QUOTE ]
I love my USA spec one

[/ QUOTE ]
It’s the best thing I have bought

I have never said that it would not work with your radio or any other sat Nav in this post or in any other. What I said was it has a different chip.
Meaning none of the cheap ones are UK spec so you might as well buy from the guy in the USA.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of those links are rubbish - except the last and then opinion is split and trails off into other areas

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess the guys who have had trouble are imagining their problems then. You have no problems so they cannot & why would a guy go to the trouble of modifying his radio if this was not the case.

I could post more but will stick to Audi VW then

http://www.phatnoise.com/vw/compatible.htm

top line says “MFD stereos are not compatible with the US PhatBox”

This is from VW Phatnoise themselves another rubbish link?

[ QUOTE ]
I've used a phatbox bought direct from Phatnoise in the US now with two different cars. It worked with standard audi headunit in the s3 and a sony headunit. It now works fine in the 3.2 on the rns-e satnav. If it ain't working you've done something wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phatnoise supplied Phatboxes are slightly different to the VW ones (not much but don’t tell me its not, as mine does not have separate audio output needed for the Sony headunit) and I have never said they do not work just different chip no cheap deal.

[ QUOTE ]
I was a member of the phatnosie forum while it ran, and can also confirm a number of other uk owners had no such problems

[/ QUOTE ]

So what I am a member of Phathack forum and people are reporting problems.
were they using VW sourced box.

[ QUOTE ]
All the units are exactly the same

[/ QUOTE ]

Same part number different version all the cheap Phatnoise (including mine) are not revision B or C the UK ones are revision B or C

UK VW website lists parts as

VW UK Link PN# 000057110B

The USA VW list the part as PN# 000 057 110
no B
http://www.phatnoise.com/vw/downloads/NB%20Convrt%2003%2B%20Hrdtp%2003%2B.pdf

The UK Audi list as PN# 000 057 110C

Page 41 here

http://www.audi.co.uk/downloads/A4_Price_List.pdf

The USA Audi list PN# 000 057 110A (the same as mine)

http://collection.audiusa.com/store/search_results.asp?keyword=000057110A&x=16&y=4

The UK is revision B or C (Volkswagen or Audi) DIFFERENT CHIP hence when you buy of ebay you do not get version B or C which is no problem for 99% of people including me.

Now are you going to tell me those links are rubbish

[ QUOTE ]
Audi and Vw list different part nos for cables, the audi one being more expensive. But many people have used the cheaper cable. Get the right cable and flashed firmware on the DMS and it'll work. EASY

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know the Audi one is round and the VW is rectangular I have used mine with an Audi headunit and also a Kenwood and NEVER had a PROBLEM. My point is just they are different no cheap deal for UK source.

The point of all this is one question gets asked all the time should I buy from a UK Ebay seller or USA seller what’s the difference.

My point that seems lost here is not whether they work or not (I never said they do not anywhere) but don’t get fooled by UK Ebay sellers. They are from the same place the USA market the genuine UK ones only come from VAG. There is nothing wrong with the USA ones I have one and its great so save yourself some money and buy from the USA if you are not happy about that then buy from the UK but it’s the same box just for more money.

VW had issues on the European spec and changed it for what ever reason the VW Audi USA did not & to say problems don’t exist when VW USA themselves do is wrong.

You don’t have a USA spec VW or Audi box you have a USA spec Phatbox with separate audio out so there is at least one difference possibly more possible not.
But don’t say the Euro spec VW box and USA spec VW box have no difference they do as to whether this causes a problem or not is open to conjecture the fact the difference exists is not.

Okay to recap. What your saying is:-

there are 2 sources:-

1. Phatnoise supplied phat boxs

2. VAG supplied phatboxs. (of which there are US Vag & EU Vag)

Yours and others issues seem to stem from Ebay sellers offering US Vag units to UK buyers? Right?

But answer me this? Why on earth would VAG mod the Phatnosie box, which was already predesigned to work with their vehicles? And works as proved by me and countless other users. Why go to the expense of setting up a manufacturing line (doing the R&D) and speccing up a new chip? Then manufacturing it. Thus producing 2 different versions of the same product? (inventory and stock issues)

No profit governed organisation would do such a thing.

And as proved by me and others is totally unnecessary.

Kenwood were the only other manufacture licensed by Phatnoise. VAG do not add in chips or mod their units.

The whole business case for Phatnoise was to produce a fully flexible unit that mimics a cd player(it works with ford, bmw etc, etc). They wrote the software to do this and doubtless retain the IP rights to this. By putting in extra chips this software would need to be opened up to VAG. I am sorry I just can't see any of this happening.

All units come from the Phatnoise production line. Any changes are down to the cables and software - period.

I'll believe you if you can produce a side by side picture of the innards of these mytical beasts with VAG stamped chips.

I am not getting at you - just the huge amount of tosh that seems to fly around this product on the internet.

Sure there may have been revisions to the actually units - by Phatnoise themselves - cheaper manufacturing to china and such. But the idea than VAG has a factory line for these things somewhere is just nonsense.

[ QUOTE ]
Yours and others issues seem to stem from Ebay sellers offering US Vag units to UK buyers? Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I keep saying I never had issues with mine it works fine.
Others have had issues (lots of people they all cannot be wrong) and yes even more have had no problems it is the different spec of some radios used in the Euro cars.

[ QUOTE ]
But answer me this? Why on earth would VAG mod the Phatnosie box, which was already predesigned to work with their vehicles? And works as proved by me and countless other users. Why go to the expense of setting up a manufacturing line (doing the R&D) and speccing up a new chip? Then manufacturing it. Thus producing 2 different versions of the same product? (inventory and stock issues)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are design changes from the original Phatbox (audio out) to the VW version my guess is that cost was a factor & the original Phatbox still contains these audio outs.

I never said they were producing at the same time, for what ever reason if you buy an Audi box in the USA you will get version A if you buy in Europe you get version B.
The above links prove that .
My guess one production run for Audi VW boxes from a factory in China to the US market Second production run after a problem was identified to Europe.
(same type of chip, different make or better spec)
They don’t sell enough Phatnoise to run a factory 24/7 they will just give the specification to a random factory in China to make a job lot.

[ QUOTE ]
The whole business case for Phatnoise was to produce a fully flexible unit that mimics a cd player(it works with ford, bmw etc, etc). They wrote the software to do this and doubtless retain the IP rights to this. By putting in extra chips this software would need to be opened up to VAG. I am sorry I just can't see any of this happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main processor is the same spec running the exact same software it’s the coms link chip that tells the CPU what the headunit is doing that is the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
All units come from the Phatnoise production line. Any changes are down to the cables and software - period
Kenwood were the only other manufacture licensed by Phatnoise. VAG do not add in chips or mod their units.

[/ QUOTE ]

VW don’t make the box Phatnoise make it for them as I said there is at least one difference in specification between yours and mine so why is it hard for others to exist?

You don’t explain the difference in revision numbers supplied by the USA websites & UK websites (my whole point) the Phatnoise interface cable has the same part number for both but why the difference in revision numbers its not the firmware as you download that from the web.

And mine is a version A (first one) made in China

[ QUOTE ]
I'll believe you if you can produce a side by side picture of the innards of these mytical beasts with VAG stamped chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go on the Phathack forum you can read all about the different chips used some even include pictures (I have posted enough links now including a picture of a modified box to overcome the problem).

The main CPU is not the problem they use at least 2 either ARM or Cirrus Logic EP7312 but these are the same on revision A or C and run the same software. However the ancillary ones (coms link) are different this is the issue it’s a voltage problem and its borderline hence some work some don’t it is not VAG they do not make chips but the do revise the spec when a problem surfaces on a second production run.

The USA still stock the first run which they are trying to sell off hence the cheap deal.

The USA Phatnoise web site clearly says “MFD stereos are not compatible with the US PhatBox”

Kind of proves a point?

[ QUOTE ]
I am not getting at you - just the huge amount of tosh that seems to fly around this product on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its nothing personal just proving I am not one of those people

[ QUOTE ]
Sure there may have been revisions to the actually units - by Phatnoise themselves - cheaper manufacturing to china and such. But the idea than VAG has a factory line for these things somewhere is just nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is a version A (the first one) and its made in China so the revision number must mean something else don’t you think?

The whole point is that the revisions are different in the UK and different in the USA at this moment in time. You have to accept there must be some difference between the two boxes other wise no revision number why is it hard to accept they changed or added a communication chip to increase stability? (not the CPU or software)

VAG do not make the box I doubt Phatnoise have a production line (Pre HK buy out) they will subcontract out to a factory in China as they were mainly intellectual and software developers developing an idea.

My argument is backed up with links accepting you do not like the forum ones I then used VAG and Phatnoise I could post a lot more but what’s the point if I show you 10 that say there is a problem you say 10 did not whose right? (And remember I did not say it would not work just different)

Well I will concede the point if you show me a list of the differences between version A & C and that it does not include different or extra communication chips.

I have certainly proved version A is sold in the USA and version C in the UK (my only point in the first place) & also that the US Phatbox does not work with MFD (so some of those links I posted must be right)

Its nothing personal and no hard feelings but if you don’t believe me with the proof I have given then what more can I do I will let others make their own mind up.