PFL vs FL vs TTRS

D0C

Reaction score
I managed to dig out my old Autocar magazines to compare their performance figures for the PFL and FL RS3's and TTRS.

They use the same stretch of tarmac with two road testers on board and a full tank of fuel so should be reasonably fair.

0-60mph
PFL - 4.1s
FL - 4.0s
TTRS - 3.6s

0-100mph
PFL - 10.3s
FL - 9.9s
TTRS - 8.4s

0-140mph
PFL - 22.8s
FL - 20.6s
TTRS - 17.7s

30-70mph
PFL - 3.7s
FL - 3.5s
TTRS - 3.0s

1/4 mile
PFL - 12.7s
FL - 12.6s
TTRS - 12.0s

Claimed weight/weight as tested
PFL - 1595/1650kg
FL - 1515/1567kg
TTRS - 1440/1505kg

Some interesting numbers. As you'd expect, the more powerful engine begins to really tell above 100mph with the lighter TTRS also making its power to weight ratio tell. Having driven all three, I don't think there's a huge amount between them all, especially on the road, although the TT's handling is a big step up.

If there are any other numbers you'd like me to look up, just let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBF01
Wow, great find! That TTRS to 140 is seriously impressive, amazed however it doesn’t feel that much quicker as you’ve said between your Pre FL. How many miles are on the clock of the TT?

Wow, great find! That TTRS to 140 is seriously impressive, amazed however it doesn’t feel that much quicker as you’ve said between your Pre FL. How many miles are on the clock of the TT?
2000 miles on the TT now...piling them on! It's definitely got the legs on a PFL but it doesn't feel a huge difference. The biggest difference is the handling, which in all fairness is a massive step up. It feels like there's 200kg less over the front axle, so good is the turn in now.

Reactions: FBF01
I assume this is for the hatch?

I can’t belive there is so much difference between the Ttrs and Fl

Must be aero - 50kg is nothing

I assume this is for the hatch?

I can’t belive there is so much difference between the Ttrs and Fl

Must be aero - 50kg is nothing
Sorry, should have been clearer. The PFL is obviously hatch. The FL they tested is the saloon, although my understanding is that the weights and performance are almost identical.

I was also surprised at the difference between FL and TTRS. I have all the 20mph increments in every gear available and it's quite a bit faster for every increment. For example 100-120mph in 4th for TTRS/FL is 3.6s/4.3s. Gearing on the TTRS is slightly longer, too.

Drag coefficient is 0.32 vs 0.33.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-800
You don’t really believe there is 1.5sec difference in the 0-100 do you? :blink:

That figure is nowhere near accurate, it’s an 8sec 0-100 car all day long. Either it was ******* down with rain or the tester never used launch control. The old 335hp RS3 managed 9.9 0-100mph and 3.6 to 60.

Some better more accurate data here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dedethecollector/36361729981/

Pretty much replicates the data I managed with 100 miles or so on the clock with 0-100 in 8.7

Sorry, should have been clearer. The PFL is obviously hatch. The FL they tested is the saloon, although my understanding is that the weights and performance are almost identical.

I was also surprised at the difference between FL and TTRS. I have all the 20mph increments in every gear available and it's quite a bit faster for every increment. For example 100-120mph in 4th for TTRS/FL is 3.6s/4.3s. Gearing on the TTRS is slightly longer, too.

Drag coefficient is 0.32 vs 0.33.

But it’s not Doc, I know you’ve moved onto the TTRS but come on, you are comparing two different results on two different days in 2 different sets of conditions etc etc.

How about the drag times the Iroz RS3 cars are getting, even Hank himself says the TTRS being the lighter car will only be 0.2-0.3secs ahead of the heavier RS3. ( and the US cars have the heavy Pano roof as standard, TTRS does not)

There’s not a hope in hell the TTRS is 1.5sec quicker 0-100, not in a month of Sunday’s. I wouldn’t even say it’s 1.5sec quicker than the PFL car either.

Reactions: Evil Diesel, T-800 and AudiNutta
You don’t really believe there is 1.5sec difference in the 0-100 do you? :blink:

That figure is nowhere near accurate, it’s an 8sec 0-100 car all day long. Either it was ******* down with rain or the tester never used launch control. The old 335hp RS3 managed 9.9 0-100mph and 3.6 to 60.

Pretty much replicates the data I managed with 100 miles or so on the clock with 0-100 in 8.7

I'm quite clear from the outset that these are Autocar's figures, tested on the same stretch of road with two people and full tank of fuel.

0-30mph are within 0.1s of each other. LC will have been used. As I say, not my numbers! Purely posted for interest. Perhaps we could get comments from the Autocar road testers. Pretty sure they use vbox and not a stopwatch!

Blimey, just seen your other post. Don't take things so personal! It's a bit of fun to put some numbers up. Did I not say that I personally couldn't tell much difference between all three?? Go back to bed and sleep off the hangover ;)

Last edited:
Edited after re reading....

TTRS is a cracking car but marginally quicker over the RS3 yes, night and day, not a chance.

Getting old now, 2 day hangovers are a nightmare ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: S. and T-800
Leo, I have a lot of time for you and your posts and you're far more experienced with these things than I am. Trust me, you've taken the post completely wrong!

I am not in the slightest so arrogant to behave as you've taken and love reading up on people's posts with their mods and own experiments, yours included, which I've also congratulated you on in the past! I loved my PFL and still think the engine sounds superior. It was also more practical as I've discovered today. And as for performance, I've mentioned here and in other posts that I can't tell a whole lot of difference in a straight line.

I would've had happily had a FL RS3 but didn't see the point as it was so similar to the PFL. I have all my old Autocar magazines in a cupboard in date order so whipped them out, out of curiousity. Of course the conditions will be different and it's not scientific.

If ever you're in my neck of the woods, feel free to time my car!

Reactions: T-800 and Leo-RS
Okay, perhaps I have read it the wrong way Doc. If so, apologies. Was just miffed at how slow the 9.9 0-100 was for the RS3 I suppose. I remember Autocar/Topgear managing that same figure from the 8P RS3 about 6yrs ago.

Enjoy the TTRS, lovely cars :thumbs up:

Reactions: T-800 and D0C
Okay, perhaps I have read it the wrong way Doc. If so, apologies. Was just miffed at how slow the 9.9 0-100 was for the RS3 I suppose. I remember Autocar/Topgear managing that same figure from the 8P RS3 about 6yrs ago.

Enjoy the TTRS, lovely cars :thumbs up:
No hard feelings. And I'll look forward to seeing the results from your runs in the RS3.

Out of interest, any launches I seem to do (RS3 and TTRS) seem to just light up the tyres. It might be very slightly damp but seems excessive. Assuming you guys must let some air out of the tyres as my 0-30mph must be about 5 seconds...

Reactions: T-800 and Leo-RS
10-15c on a bright sunny dry day is what I aim for when doing my tests. Hold launch for 2-3secs and then let go.

The roads up here appear to just be damp/greasy all the time just now.

Just waiting patiently on APR releasing their tunes, although now getting frustrated and impatient. They released their teaser figures about 4 months ago now and still nothing. MRC another consideration but really need the switchability function between 99 and Race fuel maps which MRC do not offer.
L

I did full testing of mine RS3 Sportback FL, stock 19" wheels.

1/4 mile 11.7sec
0-62mph 3.8 sec
100-200kmh (62-125mph) 9.1 sec

All time are corrected

Reactions: EdmundVR4 and JamesCrs3
You do know you have your own section @D0C ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T-800 and AudiNutta

Exactly what I was thinking. Stock rs3 Saloon does 0-100mph in 8.9/8.8secs. How on earth did they manage it to be 1 sec slower.

You do know you have your own section @D0C ;)

TX.

Had a look over there. Don't think there's any TTRS owners! @AudiNutta is right... I'd miss all you miserable ba5tards too much ;)

Reactions: FBF01, AudiNutta, T-800 and 1 other person
At Rockingham my PFL was timed at 3.6s to 60 and was at 95mph at the 200m point in under 8s. Testers must have been on drugs ;)

TX.

Reactions: Evil Diesel and T-800