PFL S3 oil

HertS3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure it's been raised before but when I searched I went through 5 pages and couldn't find it so I thought I'd ask again.

My car is saying 'check engine oil level' so I need to get some, it was changed 4 months ago when I bought the car but guess it's running low already (not driven it hard).

What oil do people use in theirs?

Is that code? I was looking for fully synthetic 5W-30 or something like that...:huh:

The correct oil is a VW 504.00 oil. These are usually labelled as "long life. Suitable for volkswagen petrol engines."

All this 5w30 or fully synthetic business is irrelevant; that's not what matters when choosing oil.

While many VW 504.00 oils are 5w30, they don't have to be. Similarly, just because an oil is 5w30 doesn't mean it is suitable.

Synthetic or not makes no difference. What matters is whether the oil can last the required time, whether it will protect the engine adequately, whether it will damage sensors or catalysts and whether it will leave deposits on the valves.

For a once only emergency top up, an API SN oil of 5w30 can be used. Any further top ups need to be with the correct oil until the oil is changed.

Reactions: HertS3
Four months and losing a litre is excessive oil consumption. How many miles have you driven since that last oil change and how many miles on the clock?

I'd agree with Scotsman, shouldn't need to be topping up oil after 4 months. Drove mine over 11 months and had no such alert (then went for oil service).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I saw a bulletin from audi when I was up at Star performance in December saying the s3 should be on 502.00 or 5w-40.

After switching from 5w-40 to 0w-30 my oil consumption went from nowt to about half a litre every 1500 miles.

Needless to say I went back to 5w-40 and it hasn't used a drop in 1200 miles.

Car had 44,600 miles on it when I got it, I think it's now on 46,700 now or so. Not driven it hard. Trying to clarify from my mechanic what oil he used, I know it's Petronas but not sure what grade.

@ZipZap01 are there any particular brands that are VW approved? I saw that Mobil 1 is 504.00

Going to Costco tomorrow to get some oil so need to get this sorted. They do Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge from memory.

There seems to be quite a few that do that grade of oil,have a search on eBay for vw 504.00 engine oil.

OK got Castrol Titanium FST 5W-30 from Costco at just under £30 for 4 litres, considering the local Shell petrol station wanted £22 for one litre of their stuff I reckon I did quite well! I made sure it says VW 540.00 on it :)

I actually needed less than a litre but at least I'll have plenty left over as it seems to be drinking the stuff (already pinged after oil change just under 4 months ago)