PFL Not enough pops and bangs?

teddyrs3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I think I’m loosing my marbles here but I have a late 65 reg Audi RS3 PFL with the dynamic package etc and the usual shabang.

My cousin has a 16 plate PFL with the exact same set up as mine. We both have milltek secondary cat deletes. No other mods. His has done 45k and mine has done 18k miles. Only difference is he has the Audi driver package thing where speed limit was increased to 174mph if I am correct.

His pops and bangs so much more than mine and is a lot louder too. I just can’t find out why!

For example if I downshift in dynamic mode mine will let out 3-5 Pops/bangs at around 5-6k rpm then nothing unless I downshift again.

His it will let out the initial 3-5 pops n bangs at 5-6k rpm then again within the same gear at lower rpm at around 3.5-4K without doing anything.

His pops and bangs are considerably louder too. His isn’t mapped either (checked by Audi). No exhaust valves have been messed around with. Literally can not put my finger down to it.

What are your guys opinions or experiences? Is his car just naturally overfueling more than mine? Any pointers or can someone point me in the right direction?

It’s driving me nuts haha. Thanks guys and look forward to your replies.

Ted

No over run noise on the PFL but mine cracked like a ******* on an upchange and banged like mad on a downshift. If yours does that it sounds standard with decat of course. Perhaps your mates has had work done before he got it?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Couple of things to check / verify ...

Have you definitely got the sports exhaust ?

Have you got the MMI selected to Dynamic for engine / exhaust ? (which you have to select each & every time you start the car).

as @terminator x mentions, mine also pops and bangs like a lunatic lol

Reactions: Radman
As above, my PFL goes Tarantino on the downshifts. Silly loud stock, and i’ll be going secondary decats in a few weeks too so god knows what that will be like!

No over run noise on the PFL but mine cracked like a ******* on an upchange and banged like mad on a downshift. If yours does that it sounds standard with decat of course. Perhaps your mates has had work done before he got it?

TX.

Man bangs crazy on downshift but what I mean is it’s one period of banging etc but his is two periods. Upshifts all crack loudly no problems.

See I assumed this. I’m pretty sure It’s had something done beforehand but what could it be if Its not mapped etc?

Couple of things to check / verify ...

Have you definitely got the sports exhaust ?

Have you got the MMI selected to Dynamic for engine / exhaust ? (which you have to select each & every time you start the car).

as @terminator x mentions, mine also pops and bangs like a lunatic lol

Defiantly got the sports exhaust and dynamic mode always selected. I always turn the car off and start in comfort then switch to dynamic.

Mine crackles on upshifts and pops and bangs crazy but what I mean is I have one set of popping and banging like between 5 and 6k rpm but his has two periods like between 5 and 6k rpm and then 3 and 4K rpm. Basically double the pops n bangs of mine! Without changing gears

As above, my PFL goes Tarantino on the downshifts. Silly loud stock, and i’ll be going secondary decats in a few weeks too so god knows what that will be like!

Bro mine does too! Just his pops n bangs double the amount of mine haha. It’s so good with secondary cat deletes!

Hmm strange, only time I’ve heard pops and bangs continuously on overrun is on mapped cars.

Hmmm, sounds like he may have the pop & crackle map, which would suggest his RS3 is map tuned.....

Reactions: AudiNutta
See I have been thinking this too like it’s surely a map car but Audi etc have said it’s not

If it’s popping on the let off of the throttle and randomly through the Rev range, it’s mapped. Stock cars only do it on downshift.

My PFL pops and bangs like a goodun and gun fire cracks on the up shifts, but the best sound of this car is balancing it on the red line limiter in third gear, there is nothing that sounds better than the 5 pot for this price bracket, and dare I say to me this sounds just as good or if not better than Audi’s 4.2 v8 engine

Hi guys,

I think I’m loosing my marbles here but I have a late 65 reg Audi RS3 PFL with the dynamic package etc and the usual shabang.

My cousin has a 16 plate PFL with the exact same set up as mine. We both have milltek secondary cat deletes. No other mods. His has done 45k and mine has done 18k miles. Only difference is he has the Audi driver package thing where speed limit was increased to 174mph if I am correct.

His pops and bangs so much more than mine and is a lot louder too. I just can’t find out why!

For example if I downshift in dynamic mode mine will let out 3-5 Pops/bangs at around 5-6k rpm then nothing unless I downshift again.

His it will let out the initial 3-5 pops n bangs at 5-6k rpm then again within the same gear at lower rpm at around 3.5-4K without doing anything.

His pops and bangs are considerably louder too. His isn’t mapped either (checked by Audi). No exhaust valves have been messed around with. Literally can not put my finger down to it.

What are your guys opinions or experiences? Is his car just naturally overfueling more than mine? Any pointers or can someone point me in the right direction?

It’s driving me nuts haha. Thanks guys and look forward to your replies.

Ted

I have a FL saloon Ted and would very much like more pops and bangs too; its too quiet compared to the PFL. I met another guy in my town a few weeks back who also has a saloon and I mentioned the lack of pops and he told me that he went to Audi about a month after ownership and got the speed limiter removed and guess what, he had far more pops. So he told me to get the same done which I have not yet. Could it be that removing the speed limiter through Audi will automatically give you more pops?

I have a FL saloon Ted and would very much like more pops and bangs too; its too quiet compared to the PFL. I met another guy in my town a few weeks back who also has a saloon and I mentioned the lack of pops and he told me that he went to Audi about a month after ownership and got the speed limiter removed and guess what, he had far more pops. So he told me to get the same done which I have not yet. Could it be that removing the speed limiter through Audi will automatically give you more pops?

See. In my original post the nardo grey Rs3 has the drivers package which raises the speed limit to 174 I believe. He has said the exact same thing. The removal of the speed limit has increased his pops n bangs but I don’t see how it would tbh. Might be worthwhile giving an Audi a call and see how much the optional extra would be

Placebo effect! No way just removing the speed limiter will increase pops and bangs...

Reactions: seventeenapg and AudiNutta
Placebo effect! No way just removing the speed limiter will increase pops and bangs...
I can't believe Audi would do it either without harming the warranty. I appreciate it was an option from the factory but afaik Audi kicked off when people even tried to fit the sports exhaust after delivery.

TX.

Reactions: seventeenapg