PFL MRC STAGE 2

millsy75

Reaction score
Going stage 2 next month on my pfl. Car is currently standard apart from HG intake drop in K&N, forge intercooler.

Sports cat downpipe next week then HPFP upgraded plugs and MRC stage 2.

What's it like anybody? I realise not as much gains as on a facelift model.

Thanks.

Going stage 2 next month on my pfl. Car is currently standard apart from HG intake drop in K&N, forge intercooler.

Sports cat downpipe next week then HPFP upgraded plugs and MRC stage 2.

What's it like anybody? I realise not as much gains as on a facelift model.

Thanks.

IMO it isn’t worth it over stage 1. My dragy times remained unchanged between stage 1 and 2+ (with HPFP). Even when I Decatted it was no louder either over standard exhaust with secondary decats. If you’re going to be out in summer I’d recommend maybe a used forge cooler at best and a stage 1 map, along with a forge hardpipe and panel filter and call it a day.

Reactions: Naylor92
IMO it isn’t worth it over stage 1. My dragy times remained unchanged between stage 1 and 2+ (with HPFP). Even when I Decatted it was no louder either over standard exhaust with secondary decats. If you’re going to be out in summer I’d recommend maybe a used forge cooler at best and a stage 1 map, along with a forge hardpipe and panel filter and call it a day.
Where can you get the forge hardpipe from mate? I’m just going for stage one with secondary decats on sports exhaust along with a bmc panel filter.

Where can you get the forge hardpipe from mate? I’m just going for stage one with secondary decats on sports exhaust along with a bmc panel filter.

forge website - maybe some used ones going on Facebook pages.

forge website - maybe some used ones going on Facebook pages.
Cheers bud. I’m with you on the stage 2 thing though, I don’t believe for the extra money (which is a lot) with the gains to be had is actually worth it. Would you advise on what you said in earlier post then, nothing much more?

Cheers bud. I’m with you on the stage 2 thing though, I don’t believe for the extra money (which is a lot) with the gains to be had is actually worth it. Would you advise on what you said in earlier post then, nothing much more?

on the prefl car yes. Fl is different story

Oh I know that! Pfl sounds loads better though.

agree. I’ve gone from prefl to fl so had both....love the new tech in the fl though, it’s hard to ignore. Matrix lights and the virtual cockpit are fantastic. Do slightly miss the sound in my prefl but that’s all I miss.

Yeah definitely, I completely agree with you too. The tech is much better and that virtual cockpit is mega. But the sound of a pfl is mesmerising haha, specially with sports exhaust, secondary cats out with a valve controller. I’ve added the rear lights from a fl to mine last week. Transforms the rear end.

Yeah definitely, I completely agree with you too. The tech is much better and that virtual cockpit is mega. But the sound of a pfl is mesmerising haha, specially with sports exhaust, secondary cats out with a valve controller. I’ve added the rear lights from a fl to mine last week. Transforms the rear end.

you’ll be doing what I did next...mib2 with carplay, changing all the interior control units to white backlit LED, carbon fibre centre console and interior dash and door trims...pm me if you want the trims! See below...

https://imgur.com/gallery/kkAx2NJ

you’ll be doing what I did next...mib2 with carplay, changing all the interior control units to white backlit LED, carbon fibre centre console and interior dash and door trims...pm me if you want the trims! See below...

https://imgur.com/gallery/kkAx2NJ
Yeah you get the bug once you start don’t you haha. I’ve dont quite a few subtle changes now and loving it, only bought this as I loved the sound of a pfl and it has mega low mileage but I was initially looking at a saloon. How much is it to do the all of the above then mate? Also, I’ve just been on forge website and can’t find one!?

Yeah you get the bug once you start don’t you haha. I’ve dont quite a few subtle changes now and loving it, only bought this as I loved the sound of a pfl and it has mega low mileage but I was initially looking at a saloon. How much is it to do the all of the above then mate? Also, I’ve just been on forge website and can’t find one!?

apologies, looks like forge don’t do one for the prefl. HG motorsport do though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153378036447

Trims are £300 off myself, the interior units I sold all my old ones for the same money as I paid for the new ones so didn’t cost me anything. Got most of it off eBay.

The MMI I paid about £1500 for everything. If you don’t have the larger tech pack screen add about £250-300 for a new screen too. You need usb’s, USB cubby, BO amp if you’ve got BO, glovebox unit, mmi controller.

I got £1300 for it all once I’d sold it, so it cost me £250 basically.

apologies, looks like forge don’t do one for the prefl. HG motorsport do though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153378036447

Trims are £300 off myself, the interior units I sold all my old ones for the same money as I paid for the new ones so didn’t cost me anything. Got most of it off eBay.

The MMI I paid about £1500 for everything. If you don’t have the larger tech pack screen add about £250-300 for a new screen too. You need usb’s, USB cubby, BO amp if you’ve got BO, glovebox unit, mmi controller.

I got £1300 for it all once I’d sold it, so it cost me £250 basically.
Yeah sound bud, I’ll have a look at that HG motorsport one, does it make much difference with that and an uprated panel filter then? Just add a bit more noise more than anything?

I might be interested in the trims pal, do you have any pictures? Do you have any links or anything like for the interior lights? And pictures for that when a finished product in the car?

Doubt I’ll bother with the upgraded MMI! Well not just at this moment anyway, a lot of money for something I’m not overly fussed about really. Don’t get me wrong it’s definitely a worth while upgrade but I’m not into the tech side as much. I only have the smaller screen but I do have B&O.

Cheers.

Yeah sound bud, I’ll have a look at that HG motorsport one, does it make much difference with that and an uprated panel filter then? Just add a bit more noise more than anything?

I might be interested in the trims pal, do you have any pictures? Do you have any links or anything like for the interior lights? And pictures for that when a finished product in the car?

Doubt I’ll bother with the upgraded MMI! Well not just at this moment anyway, a lot of money for something I’m not overly fussed about really. Don’t get me wrong it’s definitely a worth while upgrade but I’m not into the tech side as much. I only have the smaller screen but I do have B&O.

Cheers.

Pipe is supposed to add 10bhp or so at stage 1.

trim photos here...https://imgur.com/gallery/kkAx2NJ

Just have a look at any facelift at night inside - the units will be white backlit not old classic red :)

Pipe is supposed to add 10bhp or so at stage 1.

trim photos here...https://imgur.com/gallery/kkAx2NJ

Just have a look at any facelift at night inside - the units will be white backlit not old classic red :)
Really, that’s quite a decent gain really considering how small and cheap a mod it is. Wonder if anyone would be selling one on here or Somewhere.

I need to order another panel filter, going for a BMC one. I did have a pipercross in and it was absolutely awful!! Had it in about a month or so and it had all come away at one edge with small bits of rubber coming from it, exposing all the cord on the side. I won’t be adding a cooler just yet but would you advise on one just for stage one!?

Butt dyno but from APR stage 1 to 2 on my pfl I felt a bit of a increase in power mid range but nothing to brag about. The downpipe however made the car insanely loud compared to just the secondary cat delete and cete which is already a rort. For the cost though it wasn't worth it.

Have since upgraded to a fl rs3 and stage 2 on e85 is a HUGE improvement over stage 1 on pump fuel

Reactions: jimojameso and millsy75
Butt dyno but from APR stage 1 to 2 on my pfl I felt a bit of a increase in power mid range but nothing to brag about. The downpipe however made the car insanely loud compared to just the secondary cat delete and cete which is already a rort. For the cost though it wasn't worth it.

Have since upgraded to a fl rs3 and stage 2 on e85 is a HUGE improvement over stage 1 on pump fuel

I'm already committed to going straight to stage 2. Hopefully the extra mid range torque will be worth it. I was getting an uprated intercooler anyway to help with performance and temperatures. I'm sure there must be gains to be had from the downpipe. Will see what the figures are. I'm sure I'll be happy going from stock power anyway.

Yeah
I'm already committed to going straight to stage 2. Hopefully the extra mid range torque will be worth it. I was getting an uprated intercooler anyway to help with performance and temperatures. I'm sure there must be gains to be had from the downpipe. Will see what the figures are. I'm sure I'll be happy going from stock power anyway.
Yeah, no doubt you’ll love it then mate. Worth doing I suppose if you’re going straight there and already have the major mods for it, like cooler. Do you have the hard pipe? I’m looking to just add that and an upgraded panel filter. I’ll do without the cooler just now, what downpipe have you gone for? Decat or sports cat ?

Yeah

Yeah, no doubt you’ll love it then mate. Worth doing I suppose if you’re going straight there and already have the major mods for it, like cooler. Do you have the hard pipe? I’m looking to just add that and an upgraded panel filter. I’ll do without the cooler just now, what downpipe have you gone for? Decat or sports cat ?

HG motorsports hard pipe with K&N think this is what most people do. I'm getting a BCS downpipe and sports cat. Cannot be bothered with all the messing around come MOT time!

HG motorsports hard pipe with K&N think this is what most people do. I'm getting a BCS downpipe and sports cat. Cannot be bothered with all the messing around come MOT time!
Yeah I’ll go for hardpipe soon enough but leaving the the cooler. How much for the downpipe and sports cat then? Does that just do away with both sets of cats and just have a sports cat in place of?

Yeah I’ll go for hardpipe soon enough but leaving the the cooler. How much for the downpipe and sports cat then? Does that just do away with both sets of cats and just have a sports cat in place of?

Yes secondary cats removed and just one sports cat. Downpipes aren't cheap especially with a sports cat. Looking around £1,200 maybe cheaper depending on brand.

I’m looking to get mine into MRC imminently. Was looking at stage 1.5 (tune, intercooler, turbo elbow, panel filter, just no down pipe etc) but will likely just go for the stage 1 tune for now.

With VAT on top they quoted £3050 for the full works...ouch.

They reckon even stage 1 would benefit from an air filter. Part is quoted at £66 and fitting 1.5 hours at £145. Am I being a touch harsh here, but does it take 1.5 hours to swap a different panel over? Also, is it really needed?

Reactions: Terminator x and Naylor92
Yes secondary cats removed and just one sports cat. Downpipes aren't cheap especially with a sports cat. Looking around £1,200 maybe cheaper depending on brand.
Yeah I may have a look at this option to be honest! Do away with the secondary decats and go for downpipe with just a sports cat. Is it just the one cat when this is done or still two again? Obviously will need mapping in or can it be left like that would you say with still having a cat. I have a guy who’s a good family friend who has his own exhaust company, so it might be worth looking into.

I’m looking to get mine into MRC imminently. Was looking at stage 1.5 (tune, intercooler, turbo elbow, panel filter, just no down pipe etc) but will likely just go for the stage 1 tune for now.

With VAT on top they quoted £3050 for the full works...ouch.

They reckon even stage 1 would benefit from an air filter. Part is quoted at £66 and fitting 1.5 hours at £145. Am I being a touch harsh here, but does it take 1.5 hours to swap a different panel over? Also, is it really needed?
Do you have a PFL? I thought you had a FL? It takes like 2 minutes to change a panel filter.

Do you have a PFL? I thought you had a FL? It takes like 2 minutes to change a panel filter.
TTRS therefore FL DAZA engine.

So I’m entitled to go back and ask where the 1.5 hours goes to fit a filter?!

Reactions: 8YARWY
TTRS therefore FL DAZA engine.

So I’m entitled to go back and ask where the 1.5 hours goes to fit a filter?!

1.5 hrs

Same amount of time on 8P / 8V / 8V.5

Take it from me biggest time consumer is Intercooler and most of the time for that is taking off / on / modifying the bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.5 hrs

Same amount of time on 8P / 8V / 8V.5

Take it from me biggest time consumer is Intercooler and most of the time for that is taking off / on / modifying the bumper

So how long is a fair amount of time to clip me for? I’m not even sure it’s worth them fitting a new panel filter.

So how long is a fair amount of time to clip me for? I’m not even sure it’s worth them fitting a new panel filter.

I could change mine in less than 10 mins Doc.

Yeah I may have a look at this option to be honest! Do away with the secondary decats and go for downpipe with just a sports cat. Is it just the one cat when this is done or still two again? Obviously will need mapping in or can it be left like that would you say with still having a cat. I have a guy who’s a good family friend who has his own exhaust company, so it might be worth looking into.

Just one primary cat after my new downpipe is fitted. As far as I am aware needs mapping. I believe the car detects too much flow and puts the car into limp mode sometimes on WOT.

I could change mine in less than 10 mins Doc.

Thanks @T-1000

They’ve probably made a mistake and quoted for a full intake system. I’ll pick it up with them tomorrow.

Thanks @T-1000

They’ve probably made a mistake and quoted for a full intake system. I’ll pick it up with them tomorrow.
Yeah surely, as they know most people who have these sorts of cars and have stuff done to them, know what’s what with them.

Thanks @T-1000

Obviously they are a business so you’d expect a charge out of workshop time to some degree, however if they are already doing your hard pipe and turbo elbow then I’d have thought they’d fit the filter pretty cheap as part of this.

Just one primary cat after my new downpipe is fitted. As far as I am aware needs mapping. I believe the car detects too much flow and puts the car into limp mode sometimes on WOT.
Yeah, do you think it would make much of a difference to sound then over sports exhaust with secondary decats? Also, whilst I’m here, is it right the the gearbox on these to be quite sluggish at times and gets confused easily if you know what I mean.

I’m all booked in now at MRC for:

- Custom tune
- Gearbox tune
- High flow filter
- Forge inlet hard pipe
- Forge turbo inlet pipe

I would have liked the intercooler but leaving the car their is a pain in the current situation and also the small matter of £1500 ish for parts and labour when I’ve had my arm twisted for a new bathroom isn’t ideal.

Will still hopefully be pushing on or close to 500ps and 700nm. Should be all done next week so I’ll keep you all posted on my thoughts.

Reactions: CamRNW, millsy75, jimojameso and 2 others
I’m all booked in now at MRC for:

- Custom tune
- Gearbox tune
- High flow filter
- Forge inlet hard pipe
- Forge turbo inlet pipe

I would have liked the intercooler but leaving the car their is a pain in the current situation and also the small matter of £1500 ish for parts and labour when I’ve had my arm twisted for a new bathroom isn’t ideal.

Will still hopefully be pushing on or close to 500ps and 700nm. Should be all done next week so I’ll keep you all posted on my thoughts.

Intercooler would’ve been better.

Reactions: millsy75
Intercooler would’ve been better.

Absolutely, for a cost. But had to draw the line on this occasion. Still hoping the best part of 500ps in a TT will be fun!

My PFL RS3 that MRC did a simple stage 1 on was bonkers.

Absolutely, for a cost. But had to draw the line on this occasion. Still hoping the best part of 500ps in a TT will be fun!

My PFL RS3 that MRC did a simple stage 1 on was bonkers.

Nice to hear as going MRC stage 2/2+ whatever it's classed as next month :)

Nice to hear as going MRC stage 2/2+ whatever it's classed as next month :)
I’m sure you’ll love it. It’s always the extra torque that blows my mind with these tunes.

Admittedly my tyres were well past their best (understatement!) and it was a damp day, but all four wheels were scrambling for grip the first time I gave it the full beans after my visit to MRC. Savage performance.

Reactions: millsy75
Apologies to @millsy75 for hijacking his thread but had my TTRS in at MRC for stage 1 with turbo inlet and hard pipes with filter.

Stock with bolt ons the car gave 408ps and 466nm.
Once Doug had worked his magic it put out 481ps and 676nm.

He did say this was 10 or so ps down on what he’d expect but that the base numbers were a bit lower too. He said it could be for a number of reasons, heat, fuel (I run Tesco 99) but that the car was running well and the gains of over 200nm of torque were spot on.

To drive, the car now thumps you back in your seat. The power is relentless. Very pleased I’ve had it done and I also got to see and hear the car on the dyno...worth the ticket price alone!

Reactions: RAPS3, millsy75 and Naylor92
Apologies to @millsy75 for hijacking his thread but had my TTRS in at MRC for stage 1 with turbo inlet and hard pipes with filter.

Stock with bolt ons the car gave 408ps and 466nm.
Once Doug had worked his magic it put out 481ps and 676nm.

He did say this was 10 or so ps down on what he’d expect but that the base numbers were a bit lower too. He said it could be for a number of reasons, heat, fuel (I run Tesco 99) but that the car was running well and the gains of over 200nm of torque were spot on.

To drive, the car now thumps you back in your seat. The power is relentless. Very pleased I’ve had it done and I also got to see and hear the car on the dyno...worth the ticket price alone!
That’s an incredible torque gain!! That’s what it’s all about for me when you map a car, can’t beat that mid range torque.

I’m just waiting on my TDI Tuning box to be returned from reprogramming off of my RSQ3. He only reason I’m keeping and trying it for a bit is because I only bought it a few months ago just before I changed to the RS3. Won’t be as good as a stage one but I’m not fussed as I’ll change to a saloon RS3 soon enough and go all out!!