Pfl interior dome to fl led

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
evening everyone.

After having a facelift from Audi over night while my car was in for cambelt. I noticed how much better the led lights are ( full interior felt much nicer with the white lights, but I don’t wanna shell out replacing everything lol ) and I’m looking at upgrading the front and rear to the led units

I know I can change the bulbs etc but I generally like the look of the facelift done unit better so I would prefer to replace.

I’ve had a look via search and there doesn’t seem to be a guide on how to do it. Just the odd post where someone has attempted then never updates the post.

So will this be plug and play ?? I did read you have to get a cable from Audi that plugs from the front dome to the rear unit but will that be all ?? So do I need to splice into some wires somewhere ??

Any info appreciated, thanks

I believe I've stumbled across somebody doing this a while ago, and if I recall correctly you do need to change the wiring for the replacement too. I don't think it was a difficult job, but it's probably better to spend £3 on an LED rather than the entire unit + some cables.

I believe I've stumbled across somebody doing this a while ago, and if I recall correctly you do need to change the wiring for the replacement too. I don't think it was a difficult job, but it's probably better to spend £3 on an LED rather than the entire unit + some cables.

Yes I’ve read a post where someone was doing it it just didn’t make much sense and they never come back with a how to when finished. From what I can remember someone said they had to buy a look from Audi to go between the front and rear lights but can’t remmeber anyone saying they had to cut wires

I just wanted to see if anyone has actually done it and what’s needed as I’d rather spend 50 quid on a proper job then 3 quid on bulbs and the facelift ones give off a nice crisp light with no flare. It looked nice.

Reactions: Kondax
Yes I’ve read a post where someone was doing it it just didn’t make much sense and they never come back with a how to when finished. From what I can remember someone said they had to buy a look from Audi to go between the front and rear lights but can’t remmeber anyone saying they had to cut wires

I just wanted to see if anyone has actually done it and what’s needed as I’d rather spend 50 quid on a proper job then 3 quid on bulbs and the facelift ones give off a nice crisp light with no flare. It looked nice.
That sounds familiar to what I read. That's fair, just a shame nobody has a complete log of changing them over.

That sounds familiar to what I read. That's fair, just a shame nobody has a complete log of changing them over.

Knowing this forum someone brainier than me will be along to offer some advice. One of the best forums I’ve been on for knowledge

The one you read was it the one where they kept flickering when engine was running or something along the lines of that ??

Knowing this forum someone brainier than me will be along to offer some advice. One of the best forums I’ve been on for knowledge

The one you read was it the one where they kept flickering when engine was running or something along the lines of that ??
Honestly couldn't remember sorry, I read it a very long time ago. I'm fairly certain it had a few photos

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/front-dome-light-upgrade-retrofit.259906/

That’s the one I read

They were on about codeing but the post went dead

I've upgraded my roof lights successfully a few months ago. Bought a cable loom supplied by K-Electronic on eBay to connect the front roof module to the rear module. It's actually an additional loom with 3 cables to be used along with the existing one, so you don't have to remove it and replace it with a new complete 6 wire loom. The cable was supplied along with instructions that involve changing the position of some of the terminals in the connectors. Another difference I've noticed from the instructions in the thread you posted is that there is no need to route a new wire through the A pilar in order to get a connection to +12v at the fuse box. Instead, I've got the +12v from the light/rain sensor with a much shorter wire. The only coding needed is the "Interior light -KL30G ohne PWM" mentioned in the thread. Unfortunately it seems that K-Electronic no longer supplies that product as I couldn't find the item on their online store so maybe you'll have to source the OEM loom or find someone who can make it (or make it yourself).

I've upgraded my roof lights successfully a few months ago. Bought a cable loom supplied by K-Electronic on eBay to connect the front roof module to the rear module. It's actually an additional loom with 3 cables to be used along with the existing one, so you don't have to remove it and replace it with a new complete 6 wire loom. The cable was supplied along with instructions that involve changing the position of some of the terminals in the connectors. Another difference I've noticed from the instructions in the thread you posted is that there is no need to route a new wire through the A pilar in order to get a connection to +12v at the fuse box. Instead, I've got the +12v from the light/rain sensor with a much shorter wire. The only coding needed is the "Interior light -KL30G ohne PWM" mentioned in the thread. Unfortunately it seems that K-Electronic no longer supplies that product as I couldn't find the item on their online store so maybe you'll have to source the OEM loom or find someone who can make it (or make it yourself).

Spot on thanks

I’m not good with wiring I can plug stuff in so I would have to pay someone to connect the wire into the light rain sensor

How hard was it to get the wire to the rain sensor ?? And did you splice into it or was there a easier soloition ??

How hard was it to get the wire to the rain sensor ?? And did you splice into it or was there a easier soloition ??

Super easy. I've opened part of the sleeve of the rain sensor cable loom in order to expose the wires then used a Scothclok to make the connection. No need to cut/solder wires.

Super easy. I've opened part of the sleeve of the rain sensor cable loom in order to expose the wires then used a Scothclok to make the connection. No need to cut/solder wires.

Thanks buddy. So only need one live wire

I will have to try get a hold of someone with vcds I’ve contacted a couple from the user map with no reply’s.

Thanks buddy. So only need one live wire
I suppose you know that the other end of the wire must have the proper contact terminal to be inserted in the position 1 of the light module connector, right? If you don't have the terminal and the crimping tool, which is a little expensive, you might prefer to buy a 000979009E repair cable instead.

I suppose you know that the other end of the wire must have the proper contact terminal to be inserted in the position 1 of the light module connector, right? If you don't have the terminal and the crimping tool, which is a little expensive, you might prefer to buy a 000979009E repair cable instead.

Didn’t know that I was gonna ask you at some point

Does seem easy enough. I’m guessing you can get to the rain sensor wiring via the hole in the head lining to put one of them clips in ??

Didn’t know that I was gonna ask you at some point

Does seem easy enough. I’m guessing you can get to the rain sensor wiring via the hole in the head lining to put one of them clips in ??

I think it'a good idea removing the trim above/behind the mirror so you can follow the rain sensor wiring up to the roof lining, so you don't have the rearview mirror wiring (if you have an auto-dimming mirror) mistaken for the rain sensor cable.

I think it'a good idea removing the trim above/behind the mirror so you can follow the rain sensor wiring up to the roof lining, so you don't have the rearview mirror wiring (if you have an auto-dimming mirror) mistaken for the rain sensor cable.

I have auto dimming mirror so makes sense.

Thanks again buddy

Reactions: Rcord

I've also retroffited this option but encountered another quite strange issue, see this thread : https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/interior-led-dome-lights.409120/#post-3522068

Do you have a picture of the pins/connector ? So that I'm able to see if the repin proces went well.

I've also retroffited this option but encountered another quite strange issue, see this thread : https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/interior-led-dome-lights.409120/#post-3522068

Do you have a picture of the pins/connector ? So that I'm able to see if the repin proces went well.

Actually I didn't use the OEM cable to connect front lights to rear lights modules and used a wiring loom supplied by K-Electronics. Instead of a complete 6 wire cable they supply a complimentary 3 wire cable to be used along with the existing 3 wires and the user has to remove the pins from the old connectors and insert them in the new, bigger ones. So, pictures of my setting won't help much. I suggest you to check your wiring against the diagram that another member posted on the forum. That's accurate:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/attachments/domelightwiring01-jpg.96327/

Even if your connections are ok, there may be still some problem with your cable, like an open or short circuit, or the front or read module may be faulty. I could be a good idea trying to test your parts individually in a working car.