PFL gearbox clunks in traffic

I updated my gearbox last friday and I can confirm that it is shifting faster and smoother, it still isn't the smoothest gearbox but it is definitely more responsive than it was before the update.

Did they give you any more info on the update? Tpi number etc?

Sorry I don't have any other info, only that the update was from July 2018.

In heavy traffic situations the gearbox still sucks, mainly when coming to a complete stop and when accelerating from zero. I cannot feel the gears changing, so it's either the clutches or the flywheel? I don't know but sometimes when coming to a stop, immediately before stopping I can feel one, and sometimes two clunks one after each other, like the both clutches are disengaging, it's audible and I can feel it on driver and passenger feet area, does anyone feel the same? It doesn't feel good at all.

Sorry I don't have any other info, only that the update was from July 2018.

In heavy traffic situations the gearbox still sucks, mainly when coming to a complete stop and when accelerating from zero. I cannot feel the gears changing, so it's either the clutches or the flywheel? I don't know but sometimes when coming to a stop, immediately before stopping I can feel one, and sometimes two clunks one after each other, like the both clutches are disengaging, it's audible and I can feel it on driver and passenger feet area, does anyone feel the same? It doesn't feel good at all.
I know exactly what you mean. It's almost like the clutches have fully disengaged and no gear is selected. Then you come back on the accelerator and it engages a gear with a clunk. Similarly, when coming to a stop, just before you become completely stationary, you feel it disengage. My PFL RS3 was the same and my TTRS is not much better.

Reactions: mz21
I know exactly what you mean. It's almost like the clutches have fully disengaged and no gear is selected. Then you come back on the accelerator and it engages a gear with a clunk. Similarly, when coming to a stop, just before you become completely stationary, you feel it disengage. My PFL RS3 was the same and my TTRS is not much better.

It is exactly that my friend... you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's strange that nobody gives much importance to this issue, I never felt anything like this in other DCTs, VW and Porsche DCTs are so much smoother!

Reactions: D0C
New PFL gearbox software out 5220. (Will get it next month)
Also a recall on early PFL fuel pump controller TPi 20B8

Thanks for this - when you say you’ll get it next month, is there a release date?

And how do we go about getting it?

Thanks again

I’ve just had the fuel pump electrics done on Saturday there

The gearbox software when did this update come out ??

To my knowledge the last gearbox update was July (5210), so this new (5220) has to be extremely fresh.

According to my dealer they can’t just update without a reason.
To update they need to request the car SWM-code, and apparently they can’t do that unless the customer have a complain that matches a TPI.
Since my car is in for a service and also the 20B8 recall they were able to sneak the gearbox update in there at the same time.
The reason il get it next month is because thats my booked service appointment.

So I guess there is a new one already? Anyone knows why Audi is launching now these updates to our (old) cars? The one I installed in my car 2 weeks ago was the update form July from what my dealer told me.

Do you have a scan of your gearbox? Hw/sw version

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

When I'm standstill in D I can rev the engine quite high (almost 4000 rpm) if I blip the throttle fast enough several times, the revs go up and down like I'm revving the car in N or P, the clutch doesn't act fast enough, it's very strange feeling. Do any of you tried or felt this before? Everytime I push the accelerator gently there is a slight delay before the car starts moving, thus allowing for this revving in D to happen if I provoke it. Is this normal?

Guys this is what I mean, can someone relate to it? Just made this video.

How odd. The gearbox does allow for some clutch like slip effect to I presume aid smooth getaways.

The only thing i was getting when i first got the RS3 PFL 2 weeks ago was the massive jolt at redline, i put this down to me not shifting early enough and it hitting the limiter. But it did it once on launch in sport also, so im wondering if it was something to do with traction maybe

Guys this is what I mean, can someone relate to it? Just made this video.

Does anyone know what this problem could be? Mechatronic? Gearbox? I spoke with the Audi chief mechanic here and he agrees something is not right, but since my car is the only RS3 around and the Audi dealer never worked on one, they don't have experience to understand what the problem is.

Any advice?

In my PFL when in normal ”Drive mode”, gear 1 and 2 always allow some clutch slipping.
When either pushing or letting go i can easily feel the clutch engage or disengage.
Any higher gear and there is barely any slip feeling at all, but as soon as i let go of the throttle the car always goes into “coasting”.
The way revs raising and falling without any speed difference is always happening to me in D 1<->2.
(Only in sport does it seem to actually hold a gear all the time)

Regaring the video above:
I think that could be normal, the car usually wants to go to the 2nd gear quickly.
But since you are stepping on the gas it’s probably thinking about holding first and preselect second one, only to have you release the throttle and confusing it.
If you were in a higher gear it would have droped a few cogs but it can’t since you’re already at the bottom.
And as i said above, its letting the revs go high ready to slip into 2nd.

I could try and replicate the video during the weekend, but im fairly sure it’s just gonna go to 2nd gear...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshy and mz21
In my PFL when in normal ”Drive mode”, gear 1 and 2 always allow some clutch slipping.
When either pushing or letting go i can easily feel the clutch engage or disengage.
Any higher gear and there is barely any slip feeling at all, but as soon as i let go of the throttle the car always goes into “coasting”.
The way revs raising and falling without any speed difference is always happening to me in D 1<->2.
(Only in sport does it seem to actually hold a gear all the time)

Regaring the video above:
I think that could be normal, the car usually wants to go to the 2nd gear quickly.
But since you are stepping on the gas it’s probably thinking about holding first and preselect second one, only to have you release the throttle and confusing it.
If you were in a higher gear it would have droped a few cogs but it can’t since you’re already at the bottom.
And as i said above, its letting the revs go high ready to slip into 2nd.

I could try and replicate the video during the weekend, but im fairly sure it’s just gonna go to 2nd gear...

Yes I agree the car always goes into coasting in D1 and D2 at low revs when off throttle, the clutch engaging and desengaging is very noticeable as you said, and creates a lot of uncomfortable clunks while doing it, every time I get back in the throttle even if I do it super smoothly.

If you can, try to replicate the video, when you feel the car go into coasting tap the throttle quickly several times, so I can understand if it is only my car or not. Thank you

Been out today and tried to replicate the video.
At first I didn’t push quickly enough so gave it another one.
Held the camera soft on purpose so you can get a rough idea how quickly and hard the clutch bites.
It doesn’t take much for it to shift into second gear.

But to sum it up: the quicker i hit the gas, the harder and faster the clutch and gearbox engages.
(Very little slip in 1-2 gears when aggressive on power)

@mz21 I wonder if a new clutch/gearbox adaptation would help in your case.

Been out today and tried to replicate the video.
At first I didn’t push quickly enough so gave it another one.
Held the camera soft on purpose so you can get a rough idea how quickly and hard the clutch bites.
It doesn’t take much for it to shift into second gear.

But to sum it up: the quicker i hit the gas, the harder and faster the clutch and gearbox engages.
(Very little slip in 1-2 gears when aggressive on power)

@mz21 I wonder if a new clutch/gearbox adaptation would help in your case.

Thank you for the video and for wanting to help.

Seems like you can rev the engine quite high aswell, I was tapping the throttle quicker and that allows for the revs to go even higher.

In 1st and 2nd the clutch takes some timeto bite, which doesn't happen in 3th and forward.

There is a new gearbox software update, I will see if the makes things better, but from what I understand this behavior is more a less normal, this gearbox allows for some slip in first and second gear when moving slowly.

Oh dear.

Q loads of panic...... now you’ve done it........

Maybe time you go back to stock eh Doc
Lol, I'll take my chances!

Joking aside, apparently a number of incidences in Germany but I can't recall reading anything like that here... Surely Audi wouldn't make a part that couldn't handle the torque?

interesting, I already informed the chief mechanic in my Audi dealer.

Lol, I'll take my chances!

Joking aside, apparently a number of incidences in Germany but I can't recall reading anything like that here... Surely Audi wouldn't make a part that couldn't handle the torque?

Wasn’t always the way Doc.

The 8P did like munching the prop shaft until Audi released an updated version which a good few owners had fitted.
A friend of mine had one fitted and the tech reckoned it would take double the originals torque figure.

Wasn’t always the way Doc.

The 8P did like munching the prop shaft until Audi released an updated version which a good few owners had fitted.
A friend of mine had one fitted and the tech reckoned it would take double the originals torque figure.
Are we reckoning that the latest RS3 will have suitably tough mechanicals? Surely Audi wouldn't make the same mistake twice...

Follow up to my previous posts.
Did get the update to 5210 not 5220.
(Reason for that was 5220 seems to only be the gearbox when in a FL car)
No gearbox adaptation was done since they didn’t change any physical parts inside, so according to the Audi ETKA network it shouldn’t be done.
After the update it’s a bit smoother in Drive while doing city stop/go.
It still clunks from time to time but i can notice an improvement so that’s good.

I got the new update last week but the gearbox is still the same, no difference.

Audi says my gearbox is ok, no problems at all.

I can relate to this issue and I think I have a diagnosis for my car. You might want to check yours...

A little while ago my PFL RS3 was smelling of oil, But not engine oil, it was burning and a horrible smell! took it to Audi and they diagnosed as a leaking transfer box. They changed seals on box, topped up with oil and said it would be fine...since that work my car clunks in low gears normally in traffic when I’m pulling off etc...had the car at a tuners today on ramp and they moved the front wheels back and forth and a horrible
Clunking noise is coming from the transfer box! So Audi have totally messed up by not changing entire unit under warranty! You may want to check that ??

Am I about to add more panic ??? Here’s a video for you all...

Well so far mine only does it when flooring the gaspedal and immediately stopping.
Your sound is exactly thesame actually.
Is it possible to see the oil leak somewhere?

Was your video filmed when moving the wheels back and forward? Its the front wheels or the back?

What did Audi say on this? They replaced the transfer box in warranty?

I have my own life draining experiance with this. i have had a repair kit and a new clutch... after adaption lasted about 140miles and came back..i have found however all the issues i had before have gone and shifting etc is perfect... but the dreaded thudding into 1st is back but i have found and i would like to know if yours if the same.. mine only doe sit when its hot.. and only does it if i am in 2nd and going to 1st.. so pull away.. 2nd gear moving in slow traffic... as i stop you get a strong thud... if i pull away and go through the gears.. (anything past 2nd).. then slow down to a stop no thud!! pull away into 2nd at about 15mph.... slow down to a stop... thud again.. only happen if you stay in 2nd for any amount of time.. :)

Mine only clunk's just slightly if I go from 2nd to 1st coming to a stop in manual mode only. 2nd to 1st and 1st to 2nd in auto mode is seamless.
1st to 2nd in manual mode is also smooth.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

yeah mine is literally from 2nd to 1st. i have had the repair kit with the 2 clutch solenoids and the wiring etc but i still have the issue can they get that bad that the repair kit iwll not fix the issue?