1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFL gearbox clunks in traffic

mz21 Aug 6, 2018

1. mz21

mz21 Member

I'm trying to accept the way the gearbox on my car works but it is starting to affect me.

For me it is difficult to explain this in english, but basically the gearbox behaves very badly in traffic, when coming to a stop and it goes from 2nd to 1st gear 70% of the times I can hear and feel a very noticeable clunk in my feet area, coming from underneath the car which is no pleasant at all.

This weekend I was in a traffic queue moving at 0-10 mph during 15 minutes and the behavior of the gearbox was horrible, super jerky, I was being as smooth as possible and I could feel and hear these clunks all the time either when coming to a stop or when moving slowly, to the point where my girlfriend, who couldn't care less about cars, asked me what was that that she was feeling on her feet. When moving slow and off throttle it feels like the gearbox disengages the clutch (like going into Neutral) and when I get on throttle again it engages it but doesn't have the ability to be smooth, it is a strange feeling and something I cannot explain in english properly.

When moving fast and normal speed the gearbox is fine, the gearshift are a bit jolty specially if going fast but other than that it is not bad, feels more a less normal.

I drove plenty of dct boxes and know how they behave, that is why I'm having a hard time accepting this.

Can somebody relate with this? Appreciate all the help and feedback.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

I had this on my PFL and also on my TTRS. As you say, it feels almost as if it is disengaging the clutch, even though it should be in gear still. Very noticeable at low speed if creeping to a stop, less so if braking a bit more suddenly. I put it down to all the Haldex/4WD gubbins and a quirk of the car rather than anything serious.

mz21 likes this.
  4. mz21

mz21 Member

Exactly, D0C do you feel this clunk on your feet at low speeds also?

5. monopole

monopole reformation proclamation Team Floret Silver Audi RS3 Sportback

Some owners do suffer with the PFL gbox then again, most owners never had an issue. You can try the gearbox reset procedure if you have or can get access to vcds to see if that helps.

Gearbox reset procedure:
    Prerequisites:
    - Transmission fluid temperature greater than 15°C
    - Do NOT continue if the temp is out of specs! -
    - Advanced Measuring Values = [Control Module temperature]
    - Selector lever in [P]
    - Engine idle speed, do not press accelerator pedal
    - Parking brake and foot brake applied during the entire procedure
    - Note: Not all transmission controllers support this function
    0BH - Basic Settings Procedure - Be sure all the Prerequisites are followed, important! - The brake
    pedal must be depressed during the entire procedure.
    [Select] [02 - Transmission]
    [Basic Settings - UDS]
    - Select [Basic settings of transmission]
    Next click [Show Measuring Data] and select:
    - [Engine speed]
    - [Main status of abort code basic setting]
    - [Status of basic setting]
    - [Status of basic setting data for clutch]
    - [Status of basic setting data; gear selector]
    - [Sub-status of abort code basic setting]
    Then press [Go!]
    - During the basic setting procedure, there may be some loud gear shifting noises from the
    transmission, this is normal.
    Basic settings may not complete successfully if:
    - The fluid temperature gets too hot.
    - Brake is released
    Once complete, there should be an indication of this in the [Status of Basic Settings].
    Then click - [Done, Go Back] and Check for fault code

AudiNutta and mz21 like this.
  6. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

Yes, exactly like you've described. This did happen on my PFL, a FL that I also test drove and my TT. So I assume it is meant to happen.

mz21 likes this.
  7. Seanix

Seanix Member

Yeah the gearbox is bit of a dog in slow moving traffic. I concur the jerky feeling mainly from 1-2.
    It feels like it's unsure if and when to change up or not. The longer ur stuck in a traffic jam the worse it gets.

Current - 2018 RS3 Sedan
    Past - 2016 RS3 SB

mz21 likes this.
  8. Seanix

Seanix Member

I don't believe U can reset the gearbox via vcds. It can only be done by Odis.

U can clear the codes but not reset it.

Current - 2018 RS3 Sedan
    Past - 2016 RS3 SB

mz21 likes this.
  9. mz21

mz21 Member

Thank you, but unfortunately I don't have access to VCDS and can't find anyone in Portugal that has it

10. mz21

mz21 Member

Seem like this is normal and no reason to leave it on the dealer then. It is strange that very old dct gearbox don't behave like this, and this car being from 2016 has these problems. My 997 from 2009 with 130k klms has a very smooth dct gearbox, is it not even comparable.

11. S3_Sanni

S3_Sanni Active Member VCDS Map User

Been told at some point an update is due to come out.. software update for the gearbox apparently.. hopefully what I’ve been told is true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. trilla

trilla Member Team Panther Audi RS3

I can't say I've ever experienced it unless it's in S mode. In S it can be very jerky around town but I can't say I feel or hear any big noises. In D it's fairly smooth.

14. RJ-8V

RJ-8V Active Member Team Daytona Audi A3 S-line owners group

Actually there is a software update for the gearbox. Ask your dealer for it and let them perform a new adaption drive. The gearbox will changes gear much smoother.

This is a common problem with the DSG in the A3, Octavia, Seat Leon and Golf etc

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

15. monopole

Well, what do I know :unamused:

16. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

jungle650 likes this.
  17. monopole

Yeah he mentions a full factory reset there, but the aforementioned procedure resets it's "learned" parameters, which as I said, may help.

18. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro Sportback S tronic MQB Platform

I've done the DSG VCDS reset on various 'OLDER' cars (TT3.2 O2E / 8P RS3 OBH) and it has worked a treat.

However what i've learned about the PFL and FL 'ODL' boxes is that the VCDS procedure doesn't really work properly.

You need a proper Odis reset by the dealer or someone with Odis, the reason being that after the procedure is carried out by Odis the car needs to go on a defined adaption drive using the gearbox how Odis dictates, not something one person can do safely on a public road.

DJAlix and Seanix like this.
  19. Behind The Bins

Behind The Bins Active Member

Assuming gearbox software update is for PFL only as the thread title?