PFL cold start left exhaust rattle

TomDM7359

Reaction score
This is going to be hard to explain so bare with me. I got my RS3 last year and I seem to get awful, metallic, tangy exhaust rattle coming out of the left (passenger) side exhaust for about 20-30 seconds. This only occurs from a COLD start. Any other time it’s absolutely fine. I’ve taken it to Audi and they are clueless. Wanted to charge me for to look at it and then said if anything found it would be a full exhaust replacement - which I’m not prepared to do.
Does anyone know of a quick fix/had this issue before?
Link to video:

Does it stop if you do the below ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that didn’t work but I think I’ve found the cause of the rattle. On the left side it looks as though a washer of some sort has broken off? When I push the cylinder shape coming out from the bottom during a cold start up the rattle stops. Hopefully the pictures explain what I mean better.

Going to take to Audi and see if they agree with me. I’m assuming it’s a case of just putting new washers on both then? (As the right side one is cracked).

Attachments

• CD00FB0E-2151-4DC7-A6A8-301B2C7FD0AA.jpeg
    CD00FB0E-2151-4DC7-A6A8-301B2C7FD0AA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 173
  • 2CB44069-FB5E-40B5-B27E-640DDC41245E.jpeg
    2CB44069-FB5E-40B5-B27E-640DDC41245E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 219
No that didn’t work but I think I’ve found the cause of the rattle. On the left side it looks as though a washer of some sort has broken off? When I push the cylinder shape coming out from the bottom during a cold start up the rattle stops. Hopefully the pictures explain what I mean better.

Going to take to Audi and see if they agree with me. I’m assuming it’s a case of just putting new washers on both then? (As the right side one is cracked).

Audi will just want to sell you a new exhaust rear section.

If it’s not under warranty, I’d source some of those lock washers and put them on yourself.

Save the stress of dealing with Audi.

Audi will just want to sell you a new exhaust rear section.

If it’s not under warranty, I’d source some of those lock washers and put them on yourself.

Save the stress of dealing with Audi.

Like clockwork you called it. Audi Tech said they have to replace the whole rear exhaust system...

Any chance you know of where I can get hold of those washers? I’ve looked online and can’t find a part number or anything.

Like clockwork you called it. Audi Tech said they have to replace the whole rear exhaust system...

Any chance you know of where I can get hold of those washers? I’ve looked online and can’t find a part number or anything.

Measure the shaft dia and order the washers that are suitable.
They don’t seem expensive in the link.

That’s what I would do.

Measure the shaft dia and order the washers that are suitable.
They don’t seem expensive in the link.

That’s what I would do.

Looks like I need a 7mm washer so I’ve ordered two off Amazon and will see if they fit right and if it stops the noise.

Thanks for your help mate, appreciate it.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Looks like I need a 7mm washer so I’ve ordered two off Amazon and will see if they fit right and if it stops the noise.

Put it this way, you’ve nothing to lose by trying

Reactions: TomDM7359

If you sort it can you upload some instructions on how to fix it? Mine does same. Audi want 1550 for a back box.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

If you sort it can you upload some instructions on how to fix it? Mine does same. Audi want 1550 for a back box.

Lol
Get lock washer and slide it on the shaft.
Job done.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a fix for the issue in the second post? I have this exact issue and stops if I apply pressure. I do have extended warranty. Would this be covered?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a fix for the issue in the second post? I have this exact issue and stops if I apply pressure. I do have extended warranty. Would this be covered?
I’ve had no luck in finding a washer that will fit. They don’t seem to make them anywhere. Not sure if it will fix the issue either as it looks and sounds like it might be a bigger issue.
Im unsure what to do, may bite the bullet and get a milltex instead of paying Audi to replace the back box.
Not sure if it’s covered in warranty. Would have to go and ask Audi

I’ve had no luck in finding a washer that will fit. They don’t seem to make them anywhere. Not sure if it will fix the issue either as it looks and sounds like it might be a bigger issue.
Im unsure what to do, may bite the bullet and get a milltex instead of paying Audi to replace the back box.
Not sure if it’s covered in warranty. Would have to go and ask Audi
Well a full miltek system is about 1350 and Audi quoted me 1550 just for a back box. Was going to get a new exhaust myself but thinking of trading the car in instead.