Petrol vs Deisel MPG (3.0TFSI vs 3.0TDI 272PS)

allanmb

Reaction score
I am considering a new A7 and was wondering what mpg I can expect from the petrol? I see on Honest John RealMPG that the 272PS is likely to give me an average of 38mpg which is only 72% of the official quotes.

In my experience the petrols get closer to 80% of the official quotes so the gap mightn't be that large in the real world?

My 272ps A7 has now done 3,500m & the best I see is 45mpg on long motorway trips (the speed I've travelled at doesn't seem to affect this much). Day to day around town it's showing low 30s. My last 3.0 petrol Audi did about 10mpg below those figures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I used to have an early 2000s 3.2 A4 petrol which I am thinking the 3.0TFSI A7 would be similar to. Basically around 20mpg in town and around 30mpg on motorway.

One other consideration is the fuel tank size. The diesel comes with a much bigger fuel tank. How many miles can you squeeze out of a tank? I'm regularly doing 300+ mile trips which become 600-700 mile round trips

3.0TFSI - don't buy it for mpg, buy it for the way it drives

My school runs are around a horrendous 16mpg (heavy local traffic)

Same drive in a loan 3.0TDI gave me 19mpg

Motorway is around 29mpg. The 3.0TDI all road gave me 40+ mpg!!

Have to admit I love the drive, heavy right foot, love to make the RPM dance around with sports mode, manual mode, etc.

Reactions: allanmb
19mpg in the diesel? That is horrendous in itself! Do you know which power model that was?

Car in dynamic, gear in D..

That's not unusual, my previous 3.0d X5 did the same.

Even in my 3.2 Petrol A4 I used to get around 19mpg in heavy town traffic.

Yeah.. School run as said, city turnarounds best case 19 to 20 mpg.

Means my school run must be one of the worst! Add to that maybe driving style

TFSI all the way.... light remap to 375bhp.... or even better.... pulley change, remap, 450bhp....

Oh wait.... you wanted to know about MPG... maybe best to stick to the TDI if MPG is of any real concern ;)

If you are considering the TFSI, it just depends on your driving style / road types: Mine is remapped to 375bhp, but that's just opened up the top end of the rev range, not a diesel style economy remap where you get loads more torque at the lower end.

Cold engine, stop-start town driving, short bursts, etc and I can see short trips clocking as low as 10-15mpg.... steady town driving once the engine has warmed up and it's more like 22-25mpg. Motorway "fast cruise" is around 27-32mpg (depending on your definition of "fast"), a family cruise is more like 32-35mpg and if I drive like a saint, I'll see 35-38mpg. 38mpg+ is only achievable if you reset the counter while moving and then stick to a flexible ~50mph in 7th and preferably no hills :)

The 3.0TFSI is a lot more more economical than the old 3.2FSI, probably because it has the DSG and has a LOT more torque, so you can drive it like a lazy diesel... but then it also has ~50-70bhp more than the 3.2FSI's 250bhp even in the A6/A7's detuned state... 125-150bhp extra if you get rid of Audi's detune* for ~£300. If you're feeling brave (aggressive remap) or don't mind spending closer to ~£3k (professional pulley change + remap), it can be mapped up to >S6 performance.... although I was happy with the cheaper "faster than an S5" remap :)

*See one of my previous posts:

What is your budget?

What sort of fuel economy are you aiming for?

I've got the A6 Avant with the "de-tuned"* S5 supercharged V6 engine that is a pretty good mix of having an engine that you can drive like a torquey diesel when economy is an issue and then drive it like a revvy (7000rpm) V8 if you want.... I think Audi changed the engine around 2015 to a turbo that's less enthusiastic on the revs (and less low-down torque), but more economical / lower emissions.

*they're detuned from the S5's 333bhp to 290bhp/300bhp/310bhp depending if you get one from 2010/2012/2014... the engine tracks the S5 power curve up tot their chosen peak power level (normally around 4k-5k rpm and then they hold that exact power through to ~7000rpm). I think all of them have identical gearbox, clutch, intercooler, etc to the S5, so are remappable to 375bhp-400bhp for £200-£500.... and with a supercharger pulley change, intake (incduction/filters) and exhaust and you should be seeing ~450bhp (probably ~£3k for that though!) and there's some Dutch tuners getting 550bhp (for around €9000!) and they apparently have ~600bhp out of the 3.0 TFSI on their test benches, but I've never seen them advertising those upgrades for sale.

Mines on a mild (375bhp) remap that only cost me an extra £100-odd on my insurance (up from £360pa to £475pa) and I get 20-25mpg with enthusaistic driving and >35mpg on steady cruise.

Note that even the S4/S5 is detuned to stop it giving the RS4/RS5 a bit of a fright (see Chris Harris's remapped S4 in a drag race with an RS4). Look at the graphs below for the way that the boost pressure gets bled to curb the peak power.... then picture the same for the A6, but just starting even lower down the rev range.View attachment 94730

Some tuners reckon on an S6-challenging 414bhp just on a remap!!

View attachment 94729

Last edited:
diesel FTW the later 3.0 tdi make 350bhp on just a map and not far off 800nm torque. still get half decent mpg.

I've had high torque diesels before, they're good too, particularly in city running where u can leave others in a puff of smoke (pre DPF days..)

But the refinement and smooth power delivery all the way through the Rev range of a petrol is such a lovely feeling

Particularly when test driving the A7s I felt like the 3.0TDI has such awful lag. Was saying that to the dealer bloke too. This compared to the 3.0d BMW I had before which had so little lag before it went off as if it's tail caught fire!

And then I test drove the TFSI. Money simply vanished from my back a/c, was such an impulse buy

And then I test drove the TFSI. Money simply vanished from my back a/c, was such an impulse buy...

Same thing here... almost... I walked in there expecting to buy a BiTDI... because if was the fastest TDI and my previous car was a V6 TDI (albeit a 2001 A4 V6 quattro with 210bhp)... but the TFSI can be driven like a TDI and you never need to go above 2500rpm (same torque as the old TDI), if you want to drive it for economy...

I test drove a variety of A6 wagons and A7's and all the quattro engine combintions and the TFSI was far and away the best feeling, plus I do LOW mileage (car is >4yrs old and still has <10k on it!).

The first time you put it in Dynamic / Auto (or pull the gear leaver back for "Sport"!), you're hooked - even more so now that I've had it mildly remapped and can leave a factory S5 standing and give an RS5 / R8 something to think about :) It's nice to know that for a couple of grand, 450bhp is a very real option (and incl S6's and in the list of S-cars that would be troubled/confused), but right now with a mild Stage1 remap, it's plenty fast enough for the family snot-wagon :)

My concession to "sensible" was to get the wagon (A6 Avant) rather than the coupé (A7). Both slightly more volume int he boot (easier to fit the double buggy / bikes in the back) and the insurance being one third of the price!

If I was doing high mileage, then the TDI's would have been more sensible, but for the price difference between the BiTDI and the TFSI and given my low mileage, it has paid for my fuel for the last 4 years and another ~6 years...

With the remap, I typically get ~350miles of mixed and reasonably spirited driving before it asks for another ~55litres (65l tank and it "pings" when you get to the final 10l), that is 29mpg... 400miles (33mpg) upwards if mostly motorway.... 450 miles has been done (37mpg average), but it wasn't fun :p

2016 07 02 135207

Last edited:
I know ive posted in the welcome threads my story to being interested in the A7 and ive posted a couple of replys to other threads but this thread is my first on the road to considering a A7. I am moving from a 40 mile commute to a 7 and looking to trade my current diesel and petrol cars in for something bigger and faster. Was looking at the Jag XFR 5.0 SC but my wife saw the mpg/tax and cost of winter tyres and scrapped that dream. We both went looking and really like the look of the A7 tfsi as a good comprimise.

So this thread is answering the first question of mpg so as much information on the tfsi is much appreciated although its only looking about 6mpg more real world than the XFR was being reported on jag forums.