Petrol Sensor?

wheatobear

Reaction score
another noon question no doubt but how does the petrol gauge work is it a float or is there a sensor... cos i cant fill my tank all the way up for some reason but cant get anymore fuel in always clicks off...and my gauge fluctuates far too much one min i got a full tank next i got half then 3/4?

hep me plz!?!

it's a plastic float attached to the side of the intank swirl pot unit mate. it lifts with the fuel and operates a lever with a variable resistor I believe.

Could be worth checking the wiring over at the tank end, and perhaps pulling the pot out and checking it's moving freely.

There is a float attached to the in tank pump

Have you scanned for faults with VCDS yet? as stuff like could be picked up..

<tuffty/>

it's a plastic float attached to the side of the intank swirl pot unit mate. it lifts with the fuel and operates a lever with a variable resistor I believe.

Could be worth checking the wiring over at the tank end, and perhaps pulling the pot out and checking it's moving freely.

cool mate ... ill ask my mechanic friend to have a look for me....

and tuffty no but my EML is on and what is VCDS?

cool mate ... ill ask my mechanic friend to have a look for me....

and tuffty no but my EML is on and what is VCDS?

VCDS or VAGCOM as it was formally known... almost an essential purchase these days if you plan to sort stuff on your car yourself...

<tuffty/>

VCDS or VAGCOM as it was formally known... almost an essential purchase these days if you plan to sort stuff on your car yourself...

<tuffty/>

ah right coolio...can u point me in the direction of said equipment??

WOW £240!!! lol ill take it to a garage!
You can get the Lite version for around £70 and an ebay lead, As tuffty says it is a very worthwhile investment if you are keeping the car..
You are welcome to come to my company on a saturday (ls18 4ef) and i will scan it for you, i have a spare fuel sender too...:icon_thumright:

Reactions: wheatobear
You can get the Lite version for around £70 and an ebay lead, As tuffty says it is a very worthwhile investment if you are keeping the car..
You are welcome to come to my company on a saturday (ls18 4ef) and i will scan it for you, i have a spare fuel sender too...:icon_thumright:

what is the name of this company please? i may pay u a visit tomorrow?

thanks

Stainless Engineering, pm me if you are def coming as i dont bring my laptop to work normally...

right then i think i know where u are...lol ... ill pop in tomorrow any particular time??????